News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#781 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:02 pm

How the fuck was this section not shovel ready the second Adelaidean and the student building were finished?

Almost 10 years to complete a single separated bikeway is an utter failure of multiple terms of council, let alone a second EW bikeway or a proper network.

ChillyPhilly

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#782 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:55 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 am
What an absolutely unnecessary waste of money. There is literally nothing wrong with that laneway and I can think of at least 20 others that need improvement...

What is the ACC thinking!?
Paxton's Walk was an abomination of a laneway that was in dire need of a rethink, especially as it directly connects Rundle St to the tram stop and Lot 14.
All the "ground floor" tenancies being vacant isn't by chance.
Agree, it's pretty dingy. The northern half is dead.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#783 Post by SRW » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:03 pm

Worth noting that the planned upgrade for the southern side of North Terrace never happened and all references have been deleted from the Council's website. It's in pretty shoddy condition, with large expanses of the slate tiles patched by bitumen and many others crumbling away -- this is particularly so near the new student towers, despite development conditions requiring that public infrastructure be 'made good'. One of the more conspicuous areas of neglect from the current Council.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Algernon

#784 Post by Algernon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:24 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:03 pm
Worth noting that the planned upgrade for the southern side of North Terrace never happened and all references have been deleted from the Council's website. It's in pretty shoddy condition, with large expanses of the slate tiles patched by bitumen and many others crumbling away -- this is particularly so near the new student towers, despite development conditions requiring that public infrastructure be 'made good'. One of the more conspicuous areas of neglect from the current Council.
On a positive note, celebrate the success of the council figuring out how not to lay down a huge sum of money on a footpath 5 minutes before it's set to get dug up again.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#785 Post by Norman » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:00 pm

Some recent photos of the Bentham Street upgrade

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#786 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:27 pm

Bentham will be good when (if?) the Travelodge goes up too.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#787 Post by Spotto » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:56 pm

Interesting they're using bitumen for the roadway instead of concrete or paving like Bank Street. Maybe to more clearly separate traffic from pedestrians? But doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the upgrade?

Patrick_27

#788 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:37 am

Spotto wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:56 pm
Interesting they're using bitumen for the roadway instead of concrete or paving like Bank Street. Maybe to more clearly separate traffic from pedestrians? But doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the upgrade?
I never thought I’d be saying this but I actually prefer the bitumen to pavers… Unless it’s properly concreted cobblestone, bitumen won’t succumb to the weight of vehicles like pavers have done elsewhere.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#789 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:37 am

Spotto wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:56 pm
Bitumen is preferred to pavers as the pavers get dangerously slippery in wet weather. Just look at Victoria Square and Hindley Street West.

ChillyPhilly

#790 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:00 pm

Cars/motor vehicles seriously need to be banned from Bank Street, and the street in general needs a clean.

ChillyPhilly

#791 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:49 am

A few snaps of my own of Bentham St. Already a massive improvement. Taken 7 October. Click on photos for bigger.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#792 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:08 pm

It is an improvement but it pisses me off no end that Council attempts to re-invent the wheel with every successive upgrade. The Bentham Street upgrade bears no resemblance to the rest of the Riverbank to Market walk, nor similar streetscapes. What's the point of a city design manual if they never follow it? Surely it's cheaper to stick to the same materials?

One of the most striking things about Melbourne's CBD is the bluestone paving -- you have real sense of destination/arrival because the city has a distinct visual identity. Our design manual sought to achieve that to nought effect. If we followed it, the Gawler Place/North Terrace upgrades would be the template for the remainder of the capital city zone.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#793 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:09 am

Was the bitumen quite likely chosen because if the new construction on that street goes up soon pavers would be ruined by all the heavy equipment coming in and out?

[Shuz]

#794 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:30 am

Whilst I agree there should be some degree of consistency along various streetscapes which has already manifested, i.e. North Terrace, Rundle Street, Rundle Mall/Gawler Place, it's still important that each streetscape should have their own visual identity. The city would look boring as hell if every street looked the same.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

urban
Legendary Member!

#795 Post by urban » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:18 am

It's desirable for the Gawler place upgrade to have a different character to the Riverbank to Market Walk but the full length of the Riverbank to Market Walk should have a consistent design language and materials palette.