COM: McLaren Vale Overpass | $18m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: McLaren Vale Overpass

#31 Post by Aidan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 am

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Aidan wrote:
wilkiebarkid wrote:Hopefully this is the start of what will become a 4 lane motorway all the way to Goolwa with exits to Mount Compass, Victor Harbor etc.
Why Goolwa?
Because of the level of development along the Encounter Coast. Why would you stop it at Victor Harbor.
How many reasons do you want?

Most of the development is on the Victor Harbor side.
Victor Harbor actually is at the end of the road. Extending it to Goolwa would require adding a 90° bend.
Even if it were extended to Goolwa, there wouldn't be all that much time saving over other routes including the Mt Compass - Goolwa road, and the Strathalbyn - Goolwa road.

It could run south bypassing Mt Compass and turn east to Goolwa, with exits to Mt Compass, Victor Harbor, Port Elliot and Middleton.

It'd probably never happen though, as the easiest and most cost effective improvement would be to duplicate all the way to Victor.
If an expressway to Goolwa is ever required, it makes more sense to build it as an extension of the Victor Harbor bypass road (Armstrong Road etc.)
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#32 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Connect it to the Victor Harbor Ring Road?

If the McLaren Vale Interchange is the start of something down the track in the future, then a fully upgraded stretch of road needs to bypass Willunga Hill. Bad experiences a few years ago...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Aidan

#33 Post by Aidan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:14 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Connect it to the Victor Harbor Ring Road?
Ring Road? I think the ocean makes that rather impractical!
If the McLaren Vale Interchange is the start of something down the track in the future, then a fully upgraded stretch of road needs to bypass Willunga Hill. Bad experiences a few years ago...
Do you have an alternative hill in mind? Or are you proposing a tunnel?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#34 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm

It's a tricky route. I'm no construction expert, but you'd probably need a slight mix of both tunnels and a new route. But thinking along the lines of the path of least resistance, along Bangor Road to the west could be a possible corridor. Cuts through a bit of arable land and property though, but what new rural road doesn't?

As for the Victor Harbor Ring Road, I meant Welch Road/Waterport Road.

rhino

#35 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 am

Aidan, the bypass road that takes you from Victor Harbor Road to Encounter Bay is formally known as "Victor Harbor Ring Road". Check the 2012 UBD/Gregorys (did anybody else notice that UBD and Gregorys have joined forces for this year's street directory?)
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 pm

rhino wrote:Aidan, the bypass road that takes you from Victor Harbor Road to Encounter Bay is formally known as "Victor Harbor Ring Road". Check the 2012 UBD/Gregorys (did anybody else notice that UBD and Gregorys have joined forces for this year's street directory?)
I did. Does anyone actually still buy the street directory? considering we now have GPS, Google Maps etc

rhino

#37 Post by rhino » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 am

crawf wrote: Does anyone actually still buy the street directory? considering we now have GPS, Google Maps etc
Yup. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with a GPS, and have got from A to B quicker without one than friends of mine who have used theirs. GPS systems in cars is dumbing smart people down. Many of them have no idea where they are spatially, they just assume that this little device in their car is getting them to their destination the quickest way, and they're often wrong.

Now a GPS in a boat, makes a lot of sense to me.
cheers,
Rhino

ChillyPhilly

#38 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm

rhino wrote:
crawf wrote: Does anyone actually still buy the street directory? considering we now have GPS, Google Maps etc
Yup. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with a GPS, and have got from A to B quicker without one than friends of mine who have used theirs. GPS systems in cars is dumbing smart people down. Many of them have no idea where they are spatially, they just assume that this little device in their car is getting them to their destination the quickest way, and they're often wrong.

Now a GPS in a boat, makes a lot of sense to me.
I'll always prefer a paper/physical map over an electronic one. In the long run, if it weren't for street directories, I probably wouldn't be a member of this forum!

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

McLaren Vale Overpass

#39 Post by Paulns » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 am

Yep I'm old fashioned like that, give me a street directory any day!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: $18m overpass for Victor Harbor Road, McLaren Vale

#40 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am

I think the bridge spans will come in place next weekend or so

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by Archer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:46 pm

DPTI wrote: Thursday, 2 August

The eastern girders will be erected, with traffic diverted to the western side of Victor Harbor Road while these works are undertaken.

Friday, 3 August

The girders will be placed on the western side of Victor Harbor Road, with traffic diverted to the eastern side of the road.

Saturday, 4 August

The placement of the almost 30 metre central span girders will be carried out and will require a 12-hour closure of Victor Harbor Road. During these works:
  1. the left turn access into and out of McLaren Vale will remain open.
  • traffic travelling beyond McLaren Vale will be diverted to Main South Road at Seaford rejoining Victor Harbor Road via Communication Road.
  • traffic travelling north on Victor Harbor Road will be diverted to Main South Road at Communication Road.
Full Information: McLaren Vale overpass takes shape in August

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Alyx » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:59 pm

A quick photo from this evening:

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by muzzamo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am

Plenty of photos at the dtpi facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 201&type=1

Vee
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Vee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Recent YouTube video from DTEI South Autralia on building the McLaren Vale Overpass, highlighting the improvement in traffic movement and safety and the tourism aspect of this lovely region.

http://bit.ly/NypMmn

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

Re: U/C: McLaren Vale Overpass | $18m

#45 Post by RayRichards » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 pm