[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5971 Post by Saltwater » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm

No comments as to whether an elevated or sunken motorway the length of the remaining NSM would be cheaper, but would have to ask why we would want to go down that path?

The answer may lie in what makes Adelaide unique, or dare I say "special", and like or not there is a ring of inner suburbs in Adelaide which are largely intact, partially thanks to the MATS plan never being implemented, and also due to developers focussing their attention elsewhere for many years. As a result we have suburbs including Goodwood and Mile End that are time capsules, and there are few areas in Australia that have been left alone to the extent they have in Adelaide.

Now to go and build an elevated or sunken motorway through the inner would destroy much of the character of the area, and create an eyesore between the city and the sea forever. It's an infrastructure approach about fifty years too old when you consider Boston tunnelled a huge chunk of their surface level highways away with the Big Dig, and the freeway through Glasgow is universally acknowledged as a massive eyesore that should never have been built.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5972 Post by Nort » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:00 am

Saltwater wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm
No comments as to whether an elevated or sunken motorway the length of the remaining NSM would be cheaper, but would have to ask why we would want to go down that path?

The answer may lie in what makes Adelaide unique, or dare I say "special", and like or not there is a ring of inner suburbs in Adelaide which are largely intact, partially thanks to the MATS plan never being implemented, and also due to developers focussing their attention elsewhere for many years. As a result we have suburbs including Goodwood and Mile End that are time capsules, and there are few areas in Australia that have been left alone to the extent they have in Adelaide.

Now to go and build an elevated or sunken motorway through the inner would destroy much of the character of the area, and create an eyesore between the city and the sea forever. It's an infrastructure approach about fifty years too old when you consider Boston tunnelled a huge chunk of their surface level highways away with the Big Dig, and the freeway through Glasgow is universally acknowledged as a massive eyesore that should never have been built.
There's also a lot of classism buried in what parts of the city are considered disposable.

claybro

#5973 Post by claybro » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:08 pm

Saltwater wrote:

The South Road corridor is definatly not one of those areas, although it does traverse the inner west. Any semblance of a "time capsual" along this route is long lost in commercial development, with the exception of the small segment of Therbarton/ Mile end -and before you say..."but what about the Thebby Theater"- this segment was never in danger under the previous trench proposal anyway.

SBD

#5974 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:03 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:08 pm
Saltwater wrote:

The South Road corridor is definatly not one of those areas, although it does traverse the inner west. Any semblance of a "time capsual" along this route is long lost in commercial development, with the exception of the small segment of Therbarton/ Mile end -and before you say..."but what about the Thebby Theater"- this segment was never in danger under the previous trench proposal anyway.
The theatre gave Tom K (in opposition I think) a good photo opportunity to stand in front of it with his arms folded and a big frown. The old town hall is closer to the corridor, but I think previous governments valued heritage so weren't going to hit that either.

Nort

#5975 Post by Nort » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:04 pm

claybro wrote:
Saltwater wrote:

I don't remember seeing any details of a trench crossing through Henley Beach Road, can you link it?

SBD

#5976 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:10 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:04 pm
claybro wrote:
Saltwater wrote:

I don't remember seeing any details of a trench crossing through Henley Beach Road, can you link it?
The original plan had cut-and-cover tunnels in that area.

Llessur2002

#5977 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:18 am

But only localised around the main intersections as far as I remember - the remaining trench would have still resulted in the demolition of lots of heritage buildings with a resulting loss of character to the suburbs in general. It can be argued that the buildings themselves are relatively plentiful and not of huge historical significance but I don't think anyone could argue that the suburb and residents of Mile End would be better off with a trenched motorway as opposed to a bored tunnel.

Also let's not forget that cut and cover tunnels would still have required almost as much, if not the same amount of demolition as an open trench - the impact in terms of loss of character will have been the same.

SBD

#5978 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:39 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:18 am
But only localised around the main intersections as far as I remember - the remaining trench would have still resulted in the demolition of lots of heritage buildings with a resulting loss of character to the suburbs in general. It can be argued that the buildings themselves are relatively plentiful and not of huge historical significance but I don't think anyone could argue that the suburb and residents of Mile End would be better off with a trenched motorway as opposed to a bored tunnel.

Also let's not forget that cut and cover tunnels would still have required almost as much, if not the same amount of demolition as an open trench - the impact in terms of loss of character will have been the same.
Cut and cover would need less demolition than a trench as the "surface road" could be stacked on top instead of being next to the motorway so the total width of the finished project would be less. I didn't mind that part of the finished project, but assume it kept getting kicked down the road as the disruption of building it would have been electorally unacceptable.

Bored tunnels clearly result in the least disruption to the surface above them. I'm disappointed that once it's all finished, the trip to the airport from the north will use less of the motorway than we do now, as we will have to use the exit before Port Road.

Llessur2002

#5979 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:15 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:39 am
Cut and cover would need less demolition than a trench as the "surface road" could be stacked on top instead of being next to the motorway so the total width of the finished project would be less. I didn't mind that part of the finished project, but assume it kept getting kicked down the road as the disruption of building it would have been electorally unacceptable.

Bored tunnels clearly result in the least disruption to the surface above them. I'm disappointed that once it's all finished, the trip to the airport from the north will use less of the motorway than we do now, as we will have to use the exit before Port Road.
Only if the road were to be closed during the construction period, otherwise it would need to be built alongside the existing carriageways which would still require a lot of demolition. But, yes I do remember quite liking elements of the original plan - the stacked approach and some of the design elements around that looked interesting from an engineering perspective. I still wouldn't want to live near it though.

I think the section of South Road around Mile End has great potential once the majority of traffic is underground. The plane trees and heritage buildings make this a quite nice stretch of road.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5980 Post by rogue » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:17 pm

Head contractor ROI process starts today:

https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/ ... h-corridor

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#5981 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm

SBD wrote:
Im sure there are plans for an airport connection from Richmond road further down the line.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

[Shuz]

#5982 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm

I'm pretty sure the part of the $850m extended works package includes funding for the construction of a Richmond Road extension through the northwest vacant lot at Moley Street intersection and Security Road will get upgraded to a dual lane carriageway feeding into the Sir Richard Williams Avenue roundabout.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#5983 Post by Westside » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:36 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm
SBD wrote:
Im sure there are plans for an airport connection from Richmond road further down the line.
The main issue is with the usability of the connections. From the airport to head north on the motorway you have to remember to head south to Richmond rd and join the motorway there. To head south you have to remember to head north to Sir Donald Bradman to then join the motorway from there.

From a user's perspective having vastly different paths to join the motorway depending on your direction of travel o ly causes unnecessary confusion.

claybro

#5984 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:58 pm

Westside wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:36 pm
The main issue is with the usability of the connections. From the airport to head north on the motorway you have to remember to head south to Richmond rd and join the motorway there. To head south you have to remember to head north to Sir Donald Bradman to then join the motorway from there.

Ok I'm confused. When you leave the airport, aren't you already on SDBD if you turn right immediately out of the airport? Why is this an issue if you are heading south?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5985 Post by neoballmon » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:01 pm

Westside wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm
SBD wrote:

From a user's perspective having vastly different paths to join the motorway depending on your direction of travel o ly causes unnecessary confusion.
This would be good in a sense. Instead of having 2000 vehicles leave the airport in an hour down SDBD, to head either north or south on South Road, that would now split to 1000 each for SDBD and Richmond Road, and would reduce congestion on the East-West arterials.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!