[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5821 Post by Spotto » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:35 pm

JCK98 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:13 pm
New concept design for Majors Road after community consultation.

Early works to commence late 2022, completion expected by the end of 2025.

https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ro ... ect_update
With Majors Road set to become more of a thoroughfare than it already is, this is the time to finally delete the dog-leg intersection between Majors/Black/Main South Roads.

I've sent my feedback asking if the intersection will be upgraded as part of this project or is being considered as a companion project. Jump on board everyone!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#5822 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:01 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:35 pm
JCK98 wrote:

With Majors Road set to become more of a thoroughfare than it already is, this is the time to finally delete the dog-leg intersection between Majors/Black/Main South Roads.

I've sent my feedback asking if the intersection will be upgraded as part of this project or is being considered as a companion project. Jump on board everyone!
Cars turning right from Black wanting to continue onto Majors will wait at lights before turning left onto Majors without lights. Similarly cars turning right from Majors wanting to continue onto Black will wait at lights before turning left onto Black without lights. Cars travelling on South Rd will only ever stop at one set.

The only people who will ever stop at both sets are those who turn right off of Black or Majors and want to continue North/South on South Rd. These people will essentially only stop on South Rd for half a light cycle or less as half the cycle would have happened as they complete their right turn.

While combining the intersections could have a benefit considering the amount of traffic the road will take after the interchange is built, I reckon the $30M could be better spent elsewhere.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#5823 Post by neoballmon » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:09 pm

The flat land on Glenthorne would make it much easier to adjust Majors road to align with the current Blacks Road. The problem here is cutting into Glenthorne with environment minister & member for Black, David Spiers also running for next Libreral premier. I don't think he'll let Glenthorne get touched for this and Blacks Roads' potential alignment is quite steep.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

#5824 Post by Vasco » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:26 pm

neoballmon wrote:The flat land on Glenthorne would make it much easier to adjust Majors road to align with the current Blacks Road. The problem here is cutting into Glenthorne with environment minister & member for Black, David Spiers also running for next Libreral premier. I don't think he'll let Glenthorne get touched for this and Blacks Roads' potential alignment is quite steep.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
Yes he was whiney enough about this project going ahead in the end, even though he previously described it as being his #1 electoral priority pre election 2018.
Would make sense, but we don’t need to hear his whiney campaign on this now too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5825 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:40 am

JCK98 wrote:

A bit of an antiquated design, with eastbound vehicles facing up to four sets of lights. Would have been good to see a cycling/pedestrian footbridge in the mix somewhere, especially to the west.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5826 Post by Eurostar » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:22 am

Maybe Main South Road between Majors Road and Seacombe Road could go on a diet, restore the northbound side to nature or and change the current southbound to two ways. Or use current northbound side for railway or busway.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5827 Post by aceman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:39 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:40 am
JCK98 wrote:

A bit of an antiquated design, with eastbound vehicles facing up to four sets of lights. Would have been good to see a cycling/pedestrian footbridge in the mix somewhere, especially to the west.
The new traffic lights at Adams road are well overdue. There’s now a soccer club, bmx track and dozens of mountain bikers parking in all random places on the side of the road near the junction. safety should be the priority .

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5828 Post by A-Town » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:37 pm

aceman wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:39 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:40 am
JCK98 wrote:

The new traffic lights at Adams road are well overdue. There’s now a soccer club, bmx track and dozens of mountain bikers parking in all random places on the side of the road near the junction. safety should be the priority .
Yep, and the road to the west of this intersection is also long overdue for resurfacing. Hopefully the road is resurfaced all the way to Lonsdale Rd as part of these works.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5829 Post by rev » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:18 am

Apparently the new design will be released in December.

rev

#5830 Post by rev » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Nothing I don't think we didn't already know in this one..
Monday, Nov 21, 2022

Transport boss flags North-South Corridor cost blowout – but won’t name price
[/b
]NEWS
The state’s transport department chief says $9.9 billion originally allocated for the final stage of the South Road upgrade wasn’t enough, but can’t put a final price on the huge project.

Appearing before parliament’s Budget and Finance Committee this morning, Department of Infrastructure and Transport CEO Jon Whelan said work was still underway to announce a new reference design for the Torrens to Darlington project before the end of the year.

The major South Road upgrade, allocated $9.9 billion in joint-funding by the state and federal government, has been under a cloud since the Malinauskas Government came to office in March, with the end date pushed out to 2031 and major works not due to start until 2027.

Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis has commissioned a review of the former Marshall Government’s reference design for the project.

Whelan, who replaced former Transport Department CEO Tony Braxton-Smith in April, said the previous timeline for North-South Corridor was unrealistic, but maintained it would be finished in 2031.

Opposition MLC Stephen Wade asked Whelan if he could “advise what the current final cost estimate of the Torrens to Darlington section of the North-South Corridor is”, to which Whelan replied: “No.”

Wade then asked Whelan whether he expected the project’s “original cost estimate” of $9.9 billion would increase.

Whelan replied: “There was $9.9 billion of funding… it would not be right to say that the reference design could have been constructed for that level of funding.”

Asked whether he agreed with Koutsantonis’ statement earlier this year that he “wouldn’t be surprised” to see the project’s costs exceed $9.9 billion, Whelan said: “I’d agree with the minister’s statement.”

“Previously this project was presumed to have been going to market in April of this year,” Whelan told the committee.

“We are not in a position to go to market yet, and we never were in a position to go to market in April of this year.

“So as far as any delays, I think it would be remiss to say there are delays to the project – what it has been is we’ve had to relook at the old reference design and investigate some options which were of some concern.”

Whelan also did not disclose to the committee the potential number of compulsory acquisitions that could stem from a new reference design, although said it has been made “quite public by the minister… that it’s likely that the number of acquisitions could increase”.

“On the old reference design there was 393 full acquisitions and 13 partial acquisitions,” Whelan said.

“I couldn’t comment to you on the numbers that may have to be acquired should there be changes to that reference design.”

The Torrens to Darlington project came under heightened scrutiny this year after it was revealed the state’s infrastructure advisory body, Infrastructure SA, had warned the former Marshall Government that the $9.9 billion project had “major issues and/or risks”.

An Infrastructure Australia analysis of the business case published in February found that the upgrade proposal had a benefit-cost ratio of 0.7. Any number below one means that the costs outweigh the benefits.

Whelan said one part of the previous reference design that had raised concern was the single-lane elevated ramp from South Road to Anzac Highway.

“I would have advised the minister that that solution – having an elevated single lane going into Anzac Highway – would not give the optimal solution for this project,” Whelan said.

“A single lane on an elevated structure has the likelihood if there was an incident on that structure to actually have traffic bank back into the tunnel.”

Asked by Wade if it was appropriate to describe the single lane ramp as “unworkable”, Whelan said: “I think for a currently funded $9.9 billion project – one of the largest infrastructure spends this state has and may likely ever see – to have a solution that would have one lane coming… onto Anzac Highway would put that component of the project at serious risk and would therefore be unworkable.”

Asked by Wade if anyone in the department advised the Marshall Government of this, Whelan said: “I can’t comment on that, I wasn’t the chief executive at that time.”

https://indaily.com.au/news/2022/11/21/ ... ame-price/

SBD

#5831 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:57 pm

Whelan seems to be advocating a two-lane-width bridge to Anzac Highway. That won't please his minister who has said he wants two lanes of traffic lights instead of a bridge. It's not clear that Whelan's safety argument requires two lanes of traffic. The argument seems to be about providing space to squeeze past a crash, so a wide bridge with one traffic lane would suffice (and provide scope for expansion), but probably still require acquisition of more space on Anzac Highway for the through road to pass the ramp, so might as well have two lanes of traffic.

ChillyPhilly

#5832 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Apparently, fresh acquisition notices have been provided to property owners on the eastern side of South Road in Ashford, just north of Gallipoli Underpass.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5833 Post by MT269 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:25 am

Adelaide does not need more single lane thoroughfares. Is Elder Smith Rd not anything to go by? It seriously needs an extra lane or two, not a reduction to bi-directional where movement traffic is controlled by a traffic light at each end.

SBD

#5834 Post by SBD » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:32 pm

MT269 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:25 am
Adelaide does not need more single lane thoroughfares. Is Elder Smith Rd not anything to go by? It seriously needs an extra lane or two, not a reduction to bi-directional where movement traffic is controlled by a traffic light at each end.
Is this about the proposed Anzac Highway exit flyover? The flyover proposal has no traffic lights between the motorway (potentially from Reynella) and Leader Street. The current government appears to prefer to continue with traffic lights where the exit ramp meets Anzac Highway, with an extra turning lane to fit the stopped cars.

rev

#5835 Post by rev » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:26 pm

They need to just get on with this already.
They'll be spending over $10 billion if the government is to be believed hence the delays. That's almost $1 billion per kilometre.
For that money they could buy up all the properties along that stretch and dig a trench the whole way, and still have money to help businesses relocate.

Tunnels or a single long tunnel would be cool, but let's be realistic.

Forget the heritage excuses. What heritage? Who gives a shit about some old houses. They wont be standing in 200 years let alone 500 years, it's not like in centuries to come our descendants will be looking at them as ancient monuments with tourists visiting them like we do with the Pyramids and so on, they wont give a shit about some old houses, majority of people today don't give a shit, so why hinder progress and drive up the cost of getting shit done?

Just bulldoze everything along the remainder of the corridor that can't be worked around at a reasonable cost, dig out a trench and get it done.
Any other city would have been all over this by now. Only SA with it's backwater minded politicians still pissfarts around with how to upgrade a road. :lol: