[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5881 Post by Raider » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:20 pm

It also has the long awaited re-alignment of Raglan Avenue into Edward Street.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5882 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:29 pm

Some good outcomes overall, especially re: reducing visual impact. Cleaning some eyesores opposite the Brickworks (not just the elevated road) for new open space is a good result.

There is no plan for this project that isn't a mess, and all the billions would offer stronger value and return if spent on effective, targeted approaches to achieving the same goals.

My biggest gripe is the reduction in active pedestrian and cycling connections. All this budget, and somehow there is still no visible and genuine N-S cycleway, just 'shared use paths', including a scrapped bridge around James Congdon Drive.

Some other little wins include widening Richmond Road between South Road and Railway Terrace - this won't be possible without some form of property acquisition to the north (RAA entranceway/driveways and bus depot).

Overall, great to see a continued plan for tunnels. I'd like to view the full map in detail and pick it apart with everyone on here.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5883 Post by greenknight » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:36 pm

"scrapped bridge around James Congdon Drive"

Pretty sure they have one, https://youtu.be/EEJskxsWVB8?t=98 "Shared Use Path to be provided over the motorway and South Road".

Just looks like they dont have plans for it yet.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#5884 Post by alexczarn » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:05 pm
Buried in the additional Program scope is creating a four way intersection between Grange Road, East Terrace and Holbrooks Road, to increase capacity during construction, which is long overdue.
about time, great to see.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5885 Post by rev » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:22 pm

Now for the love of God can they just get on with building it!

Is there any images of the overall design for the route now rather then their sectional approach in the videos?

Nort

#5886 Post by Nort » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:42 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:22 pm
Now for the love of God can they just get on with building it!

Is there any images of the overall design for the route now rather then their sectional approach in the videos?
There are maps for each section on the site.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#5887 Post by cmet » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:27 pm

Doesn’t seem like a compromise. Great result overall if this is the finished product.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#5888 Post by mattwinter » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:29 pm

For me it's a big improvement. Especially getting an extra entry and exit at James Congdon - multiple routes now for Northbound traffic to get to the city and much better airport access.

claybro

#5889 Post by claybro » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:35 pm

Ok I'm confused. Liberal proposal according to scope was way under estimate on cost and would have come in at $15 odd Billion instead of $9.5 Billion stated by the Libs....so Labor delay and do another study which confirms all of this, so Labor crow about finding the Libs under spend, but announce effectivley the same proposal with the same final price tag? Have I missed something? Have they saved the state money? Seems they have delayed it again, bur no tangible benefit...but now at least they have 3 more years to get this underway, and given the state of the Libs at least another term to get this so damn far into constructions NO ONE will be able to stop it FINALLY! Oh...and release the doves...they have saved the Thebby Theater. :roll:

ChillyPhilly

#5890 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:57 pm

alexczarn wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:05 pm
Buried in the additional Program scope is creating a four way intersection between Grange Road, East Terrace and Holbrooks Road, to increase capacity during construction, which is long overdue.
about time, great to see.
This is good - decent foresight during construction to allow an alternative N-S route.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#5891 Post by mattwinter » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:26 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:35 pm
Ok I'm confused. Liberal proposal according to scope was way under estimate on cost and would have come in at $15 odd Billion instead of $9.5 Billion stated by the Libs....so Labor delay and do another study which confirms all of this, so Labor crow about finding the Libs under spend, but announce effectivley the same proposal with the same final price tag? Have I missed something? Have they saved the state money? Seems they have delayed it again, bur no tangible benefit...but now at least they have 3 more years to get this underway, and given the state of the Libs at least another term to get this so damn far into constructions NO ONE will be able to stop it FINALLY! Oh...and release the doves...they have saved the Thebby Theater. :roll:
I'm sure their argument would be that it's now a realistic budget and a few key problems have been dealt with. Whether or not you believe them.... I'm with you at least hopefully it's going to actually happen now!!

[Shuz]

#5892 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Should've fixed the Marion and Holbrooks Road intersection with Henley Beach Road too while they're at it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5893 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:50 pm

Like others, I just want this done now. It's good enough, let's get going!

I did not particularly want to see additional on/offs at Richmond or JCD that may encourage city commuters, but accept the argument that the additional egress relieves pressure on Anzac Highway and removes the need for that stupid single-lane flyover.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

#5894 Post by Vasco » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:53 pm

SRW wrote:Like others, I just want this done now. It's good enough, let's get going!

I did not particularly want to see additional on/offs at Richmond or JCD that may encourage city commuters, but accept the argument that the additional egress relieves pressure on Anzac Highway and removes the need for that stupid single-lane flyover.
Yes let’s spend 10-15 billion dollars on a once in a century project and not cater to city commuters.

If you want people to catch public transport, then fix the public transport system. Don’t provide a substandard design solution to a city shaping project as a deterrent.

Should city bound / through traffic tradies, couriers, trucks, parental school commute, quick visit private citizens etc use the bus also?

As for the lets get going, agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5895 Post by MT269 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:40 pm

Vasco wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:53 pm

If you want people to catch public transport, then fix the public transport system. Don’t provide a substandard design solution to a city shaping project as a deterrent.
One thing that be counted on is that it won't be improved. No government wants to encourage PT use, due to a reduction of revenue. Pollies have nothing to gain from it.