News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2836 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:18 pm

GreenMan wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:33 am
Adelaide airport are dreaming if they think that a direct flight to the US is possible...

...what chance do we have of getting a flight to the US.
I don't know but can you ring them up and ask them? The number is (08) 8308 9211.

Be sure to report back your findings here!

SBD

#2837 Post by SBD » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:31 pm

GreenMan wrote:
Adelaide airport are dreaming if they think that a direct flight to the US is possible.

Our economy is a joke. With the Aussie dollar going down the US is becoming more and more expensive as a holiday destination.

If we can’t even get a direct flight to China or Hong Kong, then what chance do we have of getting a flight to the US.
Holidays outbound from Adelaide are not the only reason people travel. There is also inbound tourism, and business. Boeing is going to set up a new facility at Edinburgh, for example. Various setups at Lot 14 would have American connections. There is likely to be US interaction in building nuclear-powered submarines. I have no idea how many people actually transfer and would opt for a few-times-a-week service direct between Adelaide and one place in the south western US. San Diego has a big navy base, and direct flights to Seattle (3 hours) and Washington (5 hours) for example. Adelaide could also be a transfer point between Perth and the US, depending on timetable time of day.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2838 Post by AG » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:22 am

GreenMan wrote:
Adelaide airport are dreaming if they think that a direct flight to the US is possible.

Our economy is a joke. With the Aussie dollar going down the US is becoming more and more expensive as a holiday destination.

If we can’t even get a direct flight to China or Hong Kong, then what chance do we have of getting a flight to the US.
Adelaide did have direct flights to Guangzhou and Hong Kong prior to Covid. With international quarantine still in place in China, that market is not providing much demand for any flights at the moment.

GreenMan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2839 Post by GreenMan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:49 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:31 pm
Holidays outbound from Adelaide are not the only reason people travel.
How many people from the US come here to Adelaide for a holiday ?

A few people coming from the US defence industry isn’t going to cut the mustard either.

A connection from Perth is unlikely to provide enough demand. For someone from Perth, coming here to Adelaide before going to the US isn’t much easier then going via Melbourne or Sydney.

Patrick_27

#2840 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:29 pm

SBD wrote:
GreenMan wrote:

Holidays outbound from Adelaide are not the only reason people travel. There is also inbound tourism, and business. Boeing is going to set up a new facility at Edinburgh, for example. Various setups at Lot 14 would have American connections. There is likely to be US interaction in building nuclear-powered submarines. I have no idea how many people actually transfer and would opt for a few-times-a-week service direct between Adelaide and one place in the south western US. San Diego has a big navy base, and direct flights to Seattle (3 hours) and Washington (5 hours) for example. Adelaide could also be a transfer point between Perth and the US, depending on timetable time of day.
This. The best chance Adelaide has in the way of direct flights to the US is through US tech/defence setting up shop here and it becoming more of a business necessity rather than tourism. You can almost guarantee that once the nuclear subs are operational, that the US Navy will be using Adelaide for maintenance stopovers, I'm sure this will increase visitation from the business/government minds from US to Adelaide. If we're seeking a tourism link, we need to establish connection in the US that is unique. For instance, non-stop to LA or Hawaii is already a thing with Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane. We'd be better off trying to look at non-stop or at the vert least stop-over flights to likeminded cities such as Seattle/Portland or even Austin (our sister city), or if you're going to go the LA route, use our wine industries as that point of connection. I don't personally believe in the importance of flights to and from the US for Adelaide, I find a lot of the American tourist types to be obnoxious (yes a massive generalisation, I know; but having seen it in Melbourne when living over there, it grows tiresome). I'd rather see Adelaide look towards South America, or Europe for tourism.

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#2841 Post by Cryptic » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:06 am

Adelaide airport getting a new Qantas domestic business lounge as well as a renovation of the Qantas club and the chairman's lounge.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2842 Post by rev » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:59 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:29 pm
SBD wrote:
GreenMan wrote:

This. The best chance Adelaide has in the way of direct flights to the US is through US tech/defence setting up shop here and it becoming more of a business necessity rather than tourism. You can almost guarantee that once the nuclear subs are operational, that the US Navy will be using Adelaide for maintenance stopovers, I'm sure this will increase visitation from the business/government minds from US to Adelaide. If we're seeking a tourism link, we need to establish connection in the US that is unique. For instance, non-stop to LA or Hawaii is already a thing with Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane. We'd be better off trying to look at non-stop or at the vert least stop-over flights to likeminded cities such as Seattle/Portland or even Austin (our sister city), or if you're going to go the LA route, use our wine industries as that point of connection. I don't personally believe in the importance of flights to and from the US for Adelaide, I find a lot of the American tourist types to be obnoxious (yes a massive generalisation, I know; but having seen it in Melbourne when living over there, it grows tiresome). I'd rather see Adelaide look towards South America, or Europe for tourism.
South Australia should be looking to America for investments, not just direct flights.
We're central between all the other major capitals, between the Pacific and Indian oceans. We should be exploiting that. Tech firms, defence, data etc. That's where we can grab a lot of American investment dollars.

Our tourism board should be working with the tourism boards of Singapore and Malaysia. We already have the direct flight connections.
Should be looking at Japan and South Korea as well.

We got flights to Bali. What about the rest of Indonesia? It's more then just Bali..Garuda used to fly here and to all major capitals, now only Sydney, what happened there?

We have Qatar airways, should be trying to bring back Emirates if not maybe looking at Israel with EL AL.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2843 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Cryptic wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:06 am
Adelaide airport getting a new Qantas domestic business lounge as well as a renovation of the Qantas club and the chairman's lounge.
Nice to hear, although the upgrade won't start for until this time next year. The current lounge is now arguably less inviting than the rest of the airport.

I wonder if the airport masterplan of relocated lounges to a third level will ever happen post-pandemic.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2844 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:43 pm

Singapore Airlines will return to daily flights from 31 October 2021, and will bump up to 10 flights a week in January 2023.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220914-sqnw22adl

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2845 Post by rev » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:20 pm

Surprised this wasn't posted yet?
Plaza Premium will open a new Adelaide airport lounge this year
The pay-in lounge will be open to any and all international travellers.

By David Flynn, August 29 2022

Adelaide Airport is getting a new international lounge, with Plaza Premium hanging out its shingle towards the end of this year.

The pay-in lounge will be open to international passengers on any airline in any class of travel, although it’s also likely be adopted as the default lounge for many airlines, given that Adelaide Airport currently has no international lounges.

This is despite the presence of carriers such as Air New Zealand, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines.

A spokesperson for the Plaza Premium Group confirmed its plans to Executive Traveller, although adding that the lounge isn’t expected to open until after September.

Plaza Premium’s international departure lounges at Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane all charge an online rate of $57 for two hours, which includes food and drinks; each lounge is typically well-appointed with a variety of comfortable seating options and plentiful AC/USB outlets.

There’s also a Plaza Premium arrivals lounge at Sydney Airport’s T1 international terminal, which adjoins the recently-opened Aerotel transit hotel within the terminal.

Other changes to Adelaide Airport’s loungescape include the opening of Virgin Australia’s first new-look lounge in early 2021, with work on a new Qantas Business Lounge and invitation-only Chairman’s Lounge slated to begin in the second half of 2023.

Plaza Premium Group, which also manages Sydney’s SkyTeam lounge and the American Express lounges in Sydney and Melbourne, is the world’s first and largest independent airport lounge network, with a footprint spanning over 70 international airports around the world.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... e-adelaide

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#2846 Post by Cryptic » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:26 pm

From December 14, Virgin Australia will fly daily direct flights to Bali.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2847 Post by AG » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:33 pm

Qatar is currently flying a second daily flight which is detouring to and from Adelaide after arriving in Melbourne, however it doesn't appear to be taking passengers from Adelaide.

I believe this is a temporary compliance arrangement for Qatar until it goes back to the planned Doha-Melbourne-Canberra-Melbourne-Doha route in December. Expect to see a lot of empty B777s flying in and out of Adelaide over the next couple of months.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2848 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:58 pm

AG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:33 pm
Qatar is currently flying a second daily flight which is detouring to and from Adelaide after arriving in Melbourne, however it doesn't appear to be taking passengers from Adelaide.

I believe this is a temporary compliance arrangement for Qatar until it goes back to the planned Doha-Melbourne-Canberra-Melbourne-Doha route in December. Expect to see a lot of empty B777s flying in and out of Adelaide over the next couple of months.
So it's flying empty from Melbourne to Adelaide and back every day? I don't understand the point? Why can't the plane stay in Melbourne?

JCK98
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2849 Post by JCK98 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:37 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:58 pm
AG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:33 pm

So it's flying empty from Melbourne to Adelaide and back every day? I don't understand the point? Why can't the plane stay in Melbourne?
There's a limit on how many flights Qatar can fly into Australia's 4 major airports (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane) per week but they can get around this by having the flights continue on to a minor airport (in this case Adelaide, but normally Canberra). Same reason Qatar was flying to Adelaide before the pandemic but not Brisbane.

Flying empty planes to Adelaide does seem incredibly wasteful though.

[Shuz]

#2850 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:18 am

All those carbon emissions...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.