[REJ] Gawler Chambers Redevelopment | 70m | 16lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[REJ] Re: Gawler Chambers Redevelopment | 70m | 16lvls | Office

#91 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:58 am

10 years is ridiculous. They really need to clamp down on this practice. The time frame should be shortened to 5 years and get automatically rejected after that.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:23 pm

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[REJ] Gawler Chambers Redevelopment | 70m | 16lvls | Office

#93 Post by Vasco » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:53 pm

That proposed design is pretty revolting for a very unique style of heritage building in the Adelaide cbd. It deserves a more sympathetic design from a quality architect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:06 pm

Vasco wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:53 pm
That proposed design is pretty revolting for a very unique style of heritage building in the Adelaide cbd. It deserves a more sympathetic design from a quality architect.

Yeah - agreed. Ideally I think another developer buys it and actually does something good with it.

Nathan

#95 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:14 pm

Vasco wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:53 pm

I disagree, I liked the proposal and thought it contrasted well with the heritage building. No sympathy for the developer though on the endless extension requests.

Patrick_27

#96 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:59 pm

Agree with the sentiments about this latest proposal being foul, unsympathetic to the heritage elements. I would love to see this as part of a broader redevelopment/redesign of the neighbouring car park. Be that rebuilding the car park within a new office building or building on top of the car park, and then restore the heritage building without swallowing it up into a new high rush building.

Llessur2002

#97 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:45 am

The car park has just been resurfaced again so presumably they're expecting it to remain in service for at least the next 5-10 years. I'd prefer something to happen with Gawler Chambers well before that time, although agree that something great could be done by combining the two sites.

Speaking of the car park, I'm still really curious as to why they cored big and very prominent holes in all of the concrete panels - I was half expecting some sort of light installation to coincide with the redevelopment of Gawler Place but a couple of years down the track and nothing's changed.

Either that was the case and the budget was scrapped due to COVID, or it was to allow testing of the concrete for structural issues. Seems like a very unsympathetic solution to the latter though.

rhino

#98 Post by rhino » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:30 am

I'm gonna go with Nathan and say I like this design. I think the fact that it's so different to the Gawler Chambers actually highlights the lovely old building, which is already several stories high and any higher would be inappropriate for it's style IMO. I also like the way the pods make the building look skewed on the site. Much better than another glass box, however I would prefer the Gawler Place elevation to not cover up half of the existing building. It's good that it hides the carpark somewhat, from the angle of the render, but that carpark is not eternal anyway.
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:49 am

The extension of time was rejected as expected.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:13 am

Ben wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:49 am
The extension of time was rejected as expected.
Excellent. Hopefully ADC sell it to someone more serious.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#101 Post by rev » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:14 am

As if they got that many extensions to begin with.
Would be interesting to know why they haven't done anything with it after all this time. Perhaps they don't have the finances to proceed?

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Vasco » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:50 pm

rev wrote:As if they got that many extensions to begin with.
Would be interesting to know why they haven't done anything with it after all this time. Perhaps they don't have the finances to proceed?
If you check out their website it doesn’t really provide much information / confidence into who they are, what they own and do etc.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 am

Vasco wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:50 pm
If you check out their website it doesn’t really provide much information / confidence into who they are, what they own and do etc.
They’re owned by old school Adelaide money. They could afford this development if they wanted I’m sure.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by dbl96 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:59 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 am
Vasco wrote:
They’re owned by old school Adelaide money. They could afford this development if they wanted I’m sure.
If you you look at their website, you'll see they haven't accomplished much at all other than the Blackwood Park development. They go on about owning high profile sites, but theres not much evidence of them actually doing anything with those sites.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:53 pm

dbl96 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:59 am
gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 am
Vasco wrote:

If you you look at their website, you'll see they haven't accomplished much at all other than the Blackwood Park development. They go on about owning high profile sites, but theres not much evidence of them actually doing anything with those sites.
I have and it would seem they have completed a range of residential projects in the suburbs. My point is that the family would likely have the capital to complete a larger project like this if they wanted to. However, they seem more content to just sit on the asset as it goes up in value - they did something very similar with The Planet site before selling it to CBUS.