University of South Australia | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mpol03
Legendary Member!

Re: University of South Australia - Developments and News

#286 Post by Mpol03 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 am

I saw a proposal a few years back where the facade had a complete change. What happened to that?
The building looks so off, when comparing to the two new beauties across the road and the instalments Uni SA have built in recent years.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#287 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 pm

I like the new colour scheme. It looks so much better!

Also are you absolutely sure that UniSA is state-owned? I thought all universities in Australia were private, and that TAFE was the state-owned higher education entity.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#288 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 pm

I would have thought they would be federally owned...

Llessur2002

#289 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:27 pm

I don't mind the new colour scheme - it's acceptable for what is essentially a tarting-up job and in my opinion knocks 10 years off of the buildings' perceived age. I fully understand the reasons for the old colour scheme (and the resulting political sensitivities regarding changing it) but to the causal observer who might not be aware of why those colours were chosen in the first place, it looked really, really dated.

I guess the buildings are what they are (i.e. not that sexy) - hopefully this paint job is a relatively temporary measure and something more substantial will be done with at least the North Terrace facade in the medium-term. It wouldn't take much to sympathetically modernise them to at least not look quite so old in relation to their new counterparts on the other side of the road. Replacement would obviously be great aesthetically but there's plenty of life left in them yet so would be unnecessary really.

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#290 Post by Abwolf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Not replacing any time soon given they are spending 5 million refurbishing the Yungondi building on North Terrace http://unisa.edu.au/yungondi

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

#291 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:23 am

As far as I'm aware, UniSA is a federal institution - HECS fees aren't collected by the State Government.

Its staff are paid by the government, with student HECS debt essentially refunding the government's money.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#292 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:30 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:As far as I'm aware, UniSA is a federal institution - HECS fees aren't collected by the State Government.

Its staff are paid by the government, with student HECS debt essentially refunding the government's money.
But if you recall, the state government had to legislate the creation of the University of South Australia...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#293 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:But if you recall, the state government had to legislate the creation of the University of South Australia...
Yes it's an entity created under South Australian legislation brought in under Mike Rann's government.

But as to its governance... ummmm iunno.

Let's skim the act. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/c ... aa1990363/
Section four is pretty definite.
4—Establishment of the University
(1) The University of South Australia is established.
(2) Subject to section 6, the University is a body corporate invested with full juristic capacity and unfettered discretion, subject to the laws of this State, to conduct its affairs in the manner it thinks fit.
(3) The University is not an instrumentality or agency of the Crown.
Other than Sect 10 which determines that the council's makeup (including at least two people who understand budgeting) I can't see anything which says that any government State or Federal has anything to do with the governance of the Uni.

(There's a couple of juicy bits, like Sect 21 which exempts the uni from paying land tax.)

Chilly: I think you'll find the university's staff are paid by the university. Looking at their financials (http://w3.unisa.edu.au/fin/resources/afs/2015AFS.pdf) the uni gets most of its revenue from government grants, HECS & its ilk, and student fees.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#294 Post by serca » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm

HA!! Pays no land tax, well that definitely rules out it being privately owned.

I have always thought it was state owned but can't say for certain.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#295 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:I don't mind the new colour scheme - it's acceptable for what is essentially a tarting-up job and in my opinion knocks 10 years off of the buildings' perceived age. I fully understand the reasons for the old colour scheme (and the resulting political sensitivities regarding changing it) but to the causal observer who might not be aware of why those colours were chosen in the first place, it looked really, really dated.

I guess the buildings are what they are (i.e. not that sexy) - hopefully this paint job is a relatively temporary measure and something more substantial will be done with at least the North Terrace facade in the medium-term. It wouldn't take much to sympathetically modernise them to at least not look quite so old in relation to their new counterparts on the other side of the road. Replacement would obviously be great aesthetically but there's plenty of life left in them yet so would be unnecessary really.
Perhaps this is just a cheap quick makeover, with long term plans to demolish the North Terrace buildings and replace them with something more taller and grander?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#296 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:59 am

serca wrote:HA!! Pays no land tax, well that definitely rules out it being privately owned.

I have always thought it was state owned but can't say for certain.
No one 'owns' it, according to the legislation it's a body corporate. Just like you, it owns itself.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly

#297 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:21 am

monotonehell wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:But if you recall, the state government had to legislate the creation of the University of South Australia...
Yes it's an entity created under South Australian legislation brought in under Mike Rann's government.

But as to its governance... ummmm iunno.

Let's skim the act. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/c ... aa1990363/
Section four is pretty definite.
4—Establishment of the University
(1) The University of South Australia is established.
(2) Subject to section 6, the University is a body corporate invested with full juristic capacity and unfettered discretion, subject to the laws of this State, to conduct its affairs in the manner it thinks fit.
(3) The University is not an instrumentality or agency of the Crown.
Other than Sect 10 which determines that the council's makeup (including at least two people who understand budgeting) I can't see anything which says that any government State or Federal has anything to do with the governance of the Uni.

(There's a couple of juicy bits, like Sect 21 which exempts the uni from paying land tax.)

Chilly: I think you'll find the university's staff are paid by the university. Looking at their financials (http://w3.unisa.edu.au/fin/resources/afs/2015AFS.pdf) the uni gets most of its revenue from government grants, HECS & its ilk, and student fees.

Oooh, interesting. A lecturer told me in 2012 that they were paid by the government. Perhaps the wage structure has reversed since then.

Llessur2002

#298 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Looks like there's some work being done to the main UniSA building on North Terrace (Yungondi? The one with the big logo above the door anyways). All of the ground floor windows have been removed and there's some hoarding going up. I wonder if they're planning some street-level activation of sorts?

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#299 Post by Abwolf » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Looks like there's some work being done to the main UniSA building on North Terrace (Yungondi? The one with the big logo above the door anyways). All of the ground floor windows have been removed and there's some hoarding going up. I wonder if they're planning some street-level activation of sorts?
http://unisa.edu.au/yungondi

First two floors being redeveloped. Inside only. It's a bit behind schedule.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

#300 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:35 am

Fun fact: UniSA's City West was actually designed as a prison.