F1 to Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

F1 to Adelaide

#1 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi all,

Do any of you miss the Adelaide Grand Prix? It was the greatest event our state has ever hosted. In my opinion all the events that were used to replace the Grand Prix are a joke. Our state is lacking a major sporting event on the international scale. The government of the past complained about the cost of it when it was clearly easily affordable and it decided to throw it away. The events that we replaced them with are minor like the Clipsal 500 and the Tour Down Under. Our state does have plenty of money to host it, look at the new Adelaide Oval Redevelopment, the new Hospital etc. Our state isn't the same as it used to be without the Grand Prix. The US Grand Prix in Austin, TX are only paying 4 million a year to host it from 2012 onwards. When we lost the event, the state was losing it's tourism, good profit, international and media attention. The Grand Prix was apart of our culture, and our state has the most Formula 1 fans in Australia. Even fans from interstate preferred Adelaide over Melbourne. Our city had a buzz about it, as soon as the year began it was one of the events everyone looked forward to and they couldn't wait for November to come. It is an event I miss mostly, and being a big Ferrari fan eversince my early childhood it is just a shame not seeing them race on our famous street circuit anymore. Not having Adelaide on the Formula 1 calendar, looks horrible. Adelaide has one of the greatest circuits in the world alongside Monaco and it was a track that almost every racing driver wants to win at.

I hope you can join this page and show your support to Bring back the Adelaide Formula 1 Grand Prix:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Offici ... 3488174469

Also please sign this petition I made from 2008 and is still running:

http://www.petitiononline.com/qdfa3213/

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: F1 to Adelaide

#2 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 am

Whilst I would love to have the F1 back in Adelaide, I think it's extremely unlikely for a number or reasons.

The cost is one. Austin might be getting a sweet deal, but that's because the market in America is extremely large and lucrative - beyond the race fees, there's not realistically a lot of reason for Bernie to want to race here in Australia. Any party that would propose spending the money on F1, given the bad press the Melbourne race gets, would be shot down into tiny tiny pieces.

The other is facilities. Safety and Pit facilities need to be of a much much higher standard now than they were when we last had the grand prix. And whilst we could spend additional money on improving run-off areas and (ha) approve a permanent pit facility - it would be really pushing it.

I think you're also not giving the Tour Down Under enough credit.

As I said, I would absolutely *love* to have F1 back in Adelaide, but unless things drastically change in the sport, I've resigned myself to the fact it just won't happen.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:40 pm

I think it's still possible to get it back, and I'm going to continue to fight it until the sport that we came to love in this state returns. and that's what I want to be remembered for. I would even send a letter to the Premier to try and bring Bernie Ecclestone here for a private meeting so I can do something about it. :lol:

We do have the money to do it as I said before, it's just that they keep spending on things (Adelaide Oval etc.) that are way more expensive and that pushes our state further into debt.

Adelaide is asleep at the moment but not alive! As of yet.

Omicron

#4 Post by Omicron » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

The time to chase an F1 event is when Bernie Ecclestone is no longer involved with F1, or when we are dripping with money to spare.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by spiller » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:02 am

As a massive F1 fan, I would love nothing more than the Australian GP to return to Adelaide. The driver's loved it, the circuit is challenging, intimate and involving of the city and surrounding atmosphere, but as has been said above, chanceS of it ever returning in today's climate are very slim. First and foremost, Bernie wants televIsion ratings, most of which come from Europe, primarily, followed by North America. Due to the time difference in Australia, an Australian GP in the future does not suit Eccleston's ever growing greed. Not to mention the huge amount of dollars required to fully redevelop every inch of the facilities both on and off the track, government and public approval and so forth.

I admire your never say never attitude however! We can only dream...

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:09 am

It's worth correcting one point too - The Austin race is costing Texas $25m, not $4m - which is causing significant opposition due to Texas' massive budget deficits (and the familiar "the money should be spent on education"). Although granted some of that cost is going towards circuit construction.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 pm

You guys will find this very interesting,

I got an email yesterday from the President of the FIA and he said that currently there are a lot of people in the F1 Paddock from the past and present etc. including drivers that want Adelaide back on the F1 Calendar and want to race here again.

Oh yes and one more thing follow our Twitter Page: @F1toAdelaide

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 am

ferraritifosi27 wrote:You guys will find this very interesting,

I got an email yesterday from the President of the FIA and he said that currently there are a lot of people in the F1 Paddock from the past and present etc. including drivers that want Adelaide back on the F1 Calendar and want to race here again.

You got an email from Jean Todt? Riiigghhttt...
And you realise that Todt nor the drivers have no say in the race locations, right?

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by spiller » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 am

I'm all for optimism, but seriously?

On a side note, I bit the bullet and bought tickets to Melbourne this march. I've never wanted to endorse that race and as a consequence, have never been, but its been 17 years now and I thought it was time to finally let go of my F1 grudge :P

Has it really been 17 years!

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 am

Nathan wrote:

You got an email from Jean Todt? Riiigghhttt...
And you realise that Todt nor the drivers have no say in the race locations, right?
:lol:

Yes I did, I sent him an email on Monday and he replied on Tuesday.

Yes I know, Mr. Bernie Ecclestone is the one who controls who host's the races etc.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:16 am

spiller wrote:

I'm all for optimism, but seriously?

On a side note, I bit the bullet and bought tickets to Melbourne this march. I've never wanted to endorse that race and as a consequence, have never been, but its been 17 years now and I thought it was time to finally let go of my F1 grudge :P

Has it really been 17 years!
Yep, I emailed him on Monday about 2014 rules & regulations and a few ideas etc. I did mention a lot about Adelaide at the end of my email. Also I gave him nothing but praise after all the great achievements he done with Ferrari :D.

Got the reply on Tuesday and at the end of the email he said that the F1 Paddock from the past and present etc. want Adelaide back on the F1 Calendar and to race here again!

Can't believe it has been so long! I went to last years for my 21st because I missed seeing the mighty Prancing Horse up close.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by spiller » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:19 am

Please quote the email in your post. Id love to read.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:42 pm

spiller wrote:Please quote the email in your post. Id love to read.
j.todt wrote:The problem at the moment is that there are many countries or circuits that would like to have a Formula One race but, even if the cost of hosting a race were reduced significantly, there is simply no way to run enough races, twenty really is a maximum. Therefore it is hardly surprising that the Commercial Rights Holder attempts to generate the maximum revenue for the sport. Of course there are many of us in F1 who would like to race again in Adelaide, Kyalami and Buenos Aires.
There you go, enjoy. :)

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by spiller » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Perhaps melbourne should look to share the GP with another city (Adelaide!) so that it alternates each year (like Hokenhiemring and Nurburgring in Germany). Cant understand why Spain has two races each year (Barcelona and Valencia) when there are only 20 races but there you go.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 pm

spiller wrote:Perhaps melbourne should look to share the GP with another city (Adelaide!) so that it alternates each year (like Hokenhiemring and Nurburgring in Germany). Cant understand why Spain has two races each year (Barcelona and Valencia) when there are only 20 races but there you go.
Yeah that'll be good. Then both Governments can split the fee in half in order to keep F1 in Australia! Apparently Valencia's GP future is in doubt. I'd take Barcelona over Valencia anyday, so much history there.