[PRO] Aldinga Rail Extension | $800m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Aldinga Rail Extension | $800m

#76 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:54 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm
Heard on the grape vine last week that the entire Aldinga extension is dead in the water, state and fed not interested in funding it
Contemptible if true.
Not surprised, there are higher priorities for our rail networks and buses services the area from Seaford to Aldinga just fine. Besides, did anyone expect anything really from the Marshall government considering their recent announces with regards to rail in SA?

ChillyPhilly

#77 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:16 pm

No surprise there. I've mentally wiped out any hope of urban rail projects happening anywhere in Adelaide until there is a change of government both at the state and federal levels.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:54 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm
Heard on the grape vine last week that the entire Aldinga extension is dead in the water, state and fed not interested in funding it
Contemptible if true.
Not surprised, there are higher priorities for our rail networks and buses services the area from Seaford to Aldinga just fine. Besides, did anyone expect anything really from the Marshall government considering their recent announces with regards to rail in SA?
Cutting a good rail project to fund better rail projects may be defensible, but as you point out, the Liberals will just cut plain and simple. No progress anywhere.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#79 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 am

I ensure the government will also be discouraging new housing development in the area as well then, since it would be crazy to keep expanding suburban Adelaide without putting good public transport in place.

Idiots.

Waewick

[PRO] [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Aldinga Rail Extension | $800m

#80 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 am

Nort wrote:I ensure the government will also be discouraging new housing development in the area as well then, since it would be crazy to keep expanding suburban Adelaide without putting good public transport in place.

Idiots.
Hopefully they do stop it.

That would be a great outcome.

claybro

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Aldinga Rail Extension | $800m

#81 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 am

Waewick wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 am
Nort wrote:I ensure the government will also be discouraging new housing development in the area as well then, since it would be crazy to keep expanding suburban Adelaide without putting good public transport in place.

Idiots.
Hopefully the do stop it.

That would be a great outcome.
Aldinga extension is a poor idea. It will encourage urban sprawl into a sensitive rural fringe. Just like endless extensions of commuter freeway, commuter trains also encourage urban sprawl. There is much more to be gained from making the existing sections more interconnected and more efficient based on higher density zones. Adelaide is decades away from even that. I do fear though that this government will look to close even Grange and Belair. Any upgrade to OH also unlikely.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:56 am

I'd prefer that Aldinga remained a little seaside hamlet, but that's long since passed. It's sprawl already, and unless we encumber it with the Urban Growth Boundary it'll sprawl further train or no. The choice now is if we let those people commute to Adelaide by hundreds of cars or public transport.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 am

If the Aldinga extension happens, it, Roseworthy St Yves and Concordia should be the last new fringe developments and metro rail extensions for a while. Otherwise urban sprawl will just continue.

We should be doing one or both of the following: focusing on urban infill by developing along existing transport corridors to make better use of them, and putting effort into regional development instead of urban sprawling. Reinforce places like Mount Barker, Murray Bridge, Whyalla, etc. into self-sustaining regional cities that encourage growth outside of Adelaide.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#84 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Adelaide's only growing by around 10,000 people a year, and we're forecast to need only 248,000 new homes by 2045. This can largely be accommodated within the inner city at increased densities. There's really no compelling reason for sprawl here at all, other than the market is broken and pricing outer suburban land and housing below cost (forcing ongoing costs onto government and residents). Currently, about 75% of our occupied stock is detached housing and of the remaining less than 8% is flats/apartments. Hardly diverse housing choice. Strikes me that the only housing type that needs to be increasing is denser semi-detached and flats/apartments. And yet places like Buckland Park are still on the agenda. IMO, if the private sector isn't doing it of its own accord, Renewal SA needs to be amped up in funding and speed to boost the number of TODs, especially in the square mile & city fringe. Playford underpinned our growth in the 40s and 50s with state-built housing, and we could do the same again in the compact form we need (with public-private partnerships).
Last edited by SRW on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#85 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:58 pm

I don't understand the obsession with living in an outer suburb and commuting long distances every day to work in the inner city.

I live a 20 minute drive (75 minutes on public transport) from work. If I had to work in the CBD, I suspect my choice of home address would be different so that my commute was still under half an hour.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:03 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:58 pm
I don't understand the obsession with living in an outer suburb and commuting long distances every day to work in the inner city.

I live a 20 minute drive (75 minutes on public transport) from work. If I had to work in the CBD, I suspect my choice of home address would be different so that my commute was still under half an hour.
I don't think people are dying to live in outer suburbia. We know the most desired locations are the inner suburbs. The problem is affordability and availability. They often don't have a choice, which is why I think the state should be involving itself in more TODs to give them one.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#87 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Unless we get China money there will never be a decent train system in Adelaide.

Its too easy to kill on economics.

Like the tram system, the train system doesn't service the densely populated parts of Adelaide so it'll never get the patronage.

rhino

#88 Post by rhino » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:31 am

SRW wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:03 pm
We know the most desired locations are the inner suburbs.
Big call.
cheers,
Rhino

claybro

#89 Post by claybro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Waewick wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:06 pm
Unless we get China money there will never be a decent train system in Adelaide.

Its too easy to kill on economics.

Like the tram system, the train system doesn't service the densely populated parts of Adelaide so it'll never get the patronage.
That's a relatively easy fix. If it's too expensive to move the existing rail infrastructure, then move the poeple to the rail precincts. There is so much under developed land around our existing stations, even while we carve up land and propose townhouses in semi rural locations. They have spent a lazy couple of hundred million remodelling Oaklands station (twice) and a few more hundreds of millions redeveloping the shopping centre, and yet both are still half a km apart. I would say it's not really about money, moreso poor planning.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#90 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Adelaides most densely populated council, Holdfast Bay is served by train and tram lines. A lot more can be done to increase density a long the Seaford line, Oaklands has so much potential, so much low density housing that could be turned into 4 to 6 story apartment blocks, Brighton you can do the same. Adelaide has so much potential for infill, near the beach and a train or tram line, the infrastructure is there (Outer Harbor, Grange, Glenelg and Seaford lines).