News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3721 Post by mshagg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 am

Imagine running a city and being incapable of building a bike lane.

How do these people sleep at night. That kind of incompetence must chip away at you.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3722 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am

What a dreadful, dead council. Embarrassing and shameful.

The only plus side is that we don't get a dog-leg route.

Back to Square 1.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#3723 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 am

What a fucking embarrassment.

[Shuz]

#3724 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am

Sack the council and appoint administrators in until the next elections. They can't do their job, get someone else in who can.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3725 Post by mshagg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:54 am

How's the precedent they've set here.

Council trying to improve the city for anyone other than motorists and landlords? Losing a carpark in front of your building as a result? Just call Griffin lawyers on 8410 2020, for all of your legal threat needs.

Heck I'm surprised this guy isnt an elected member. He's certainly got the right pedigree for the job.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#3726 Post by Bob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 am

Both the East-West Bikeway Flinders-Franklin Streets corridor, and the Grenfell-Currie Streets PT bus corridor, should be classified as essential infrastructure projects vital to the broader needs of metropolitan Adelaide & South Australia, and as such be classified as major projects allowing the removal of the ACC from the decision-making process.

If the Flinders Street troublemakers want to take legal action, they would then need to take on the State Government.

These two vital infrastructures requirements have been left in limbo for far too long, and the ACC is too easily intimidated by the minority, or the broader community held ransom to a few Councilors who really have very little idea beyond their own backside, so remove the ACC from the decision making process as step one.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3727 Post by omada » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:10 am

Hi All,

I awake from my posting slumber, like yourselves , in anger and disbelief, that we have a council such as the ACC.

Calls for sacking them are justified.

Is there anyway the State Government can revoke their powers on planning approvals? This is a very important project for the population of not just Adelaide Council but the state.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3728 Post by mshagg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am

The likelihood of state govt intervention seems unlikely given the current party's vision for transportation in South Australia seems to also revolve around single occupant vehicles. How many hundreds of millions of dollars are they spending to add a few turning lanes here and there?

That and city council also seems to be a graduating step between practising law and getting parachuted into the state duma.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3729 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:19 pm

Decisions like this are the reason the ACC should have their powers limited to parking inspectors and rubbish collection only.

SBD

#3730 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:32 pm

mshagg wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am
The likelihood of state govt intervention seems unlikely given the current party's vision for transportation in South Australia seems to also revolve around single occupant vehicles. How many hundreds of millions of dollars are they spending to add a few turning lanes here and there?

That and city council also seems to be a graduating step between practising law and getting parachuted into the state duma.
Most bikes are single occupant vehicles, and you can fit more of them on a road or parking area.

The bikeway adjacent to the Northern Connector might have been Labor's plan, but I think it was the current government that extended it to Port Adelaide. I guess it's a matter of perspective whether this is to make cyclists safer or remove the need for drivers on the PWE to watch for cyclists. It was Labor in government who decided that the road shoulders were the best place for cyclists on that road without even marked bike lanes across exit/entrance ramps.

I don't know what they have or haven't done for cycling near the Southern Expressway extension or Tonsley railway extension.

metro
Legendary Member!

#3731 Post by metro » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Meanwhile in places that don't have loser councils:

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/lis ... ycling-map

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/buildi ... lanes.aspx

Has the ACC even completed a North-South bikeway yet? :roll:

Nathan

#3732 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:59 pm

metro wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:03 pm
Has the ACC even completed a North-South bikeway yet? :roll:
Apparently construction on one block means you can't even plan the rest of the route, let alone build it. :banana:

Nathan

#3733 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Excellent opinion piece by David Washington over at InDaily.
https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2021/03/ ... row-minds/

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3734 Post by omada » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am

I called the ACC seeking an explanation for the decision, the customer service person politely suggested that I refer to the meeting minutes before seeking further explanation, apparently these will be uploaded to the ACC webpage at around 2pm today.

Nathan

#3735 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Interesting comment from Cr Mackie:
So why, despite being an elected member who advocates bicycle friendly planning, did I vote this motion down, when it was already known that the dominant faction and presiding member intended to kill it off? Simple – confidential, last-minute legal advice. To say more would see me break the law.