News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4606 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:04 am

Nathan wrote:I'm very disappointed there's been nothing in that regard. Has there been any non-road transport announcements other than reversing the public transport privatisation?
Because Labor is apparently focusing solely on health and Libs on shoring up seats it needs to hold.

It's really disappointing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#4607 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:09 am

I suspect that other than health, Labor is adopting the small target approach. Hopefully this doesn't mean they won't have some non-health announcements ready should they take government.

ChillyPhilly

#4608 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 am

I did see that Labor are still to announce their transport policy, so let's watch this space. Clock is ticking.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#4609 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:45 pm

Seat of Adelaide is firm favourite for Labor to win.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#4610 Post by rubberman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:45 pm
Seat of Adelaide is firm favourite for Labor to win.
That may be so. However, if true, why wouldn't the Libs promise to build the city loop? If it gets them over the line, it's a small price (and a worthwhile project). If they lose, it hasn't cost them anything.

All upside and no downside for the government.

I must be missing something.

[Shuz]

#4611 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:30 pm

Liberals have had 4 years to do something and they didn't. Their track record on public transport is shocking. People can't trust their word. That's what you're missing.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#4612 Post by rubberman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:32 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:30 pm
Liberals have had 4 years to do something and they didn't. Their track record on public transport is shocking. People can't trust their word. That's what you're missing.
You might be right, but there are forums, even now, that take Federal Government announcements seriously. Everything from NBN, Murray Darling Basin Plan, vaccine rollout, Robodebt, bushfires, floods, submarines...and yet if they announce something, people still take it seriously. The lack of follow-up hardly rates a mention.

The Liberals in SA are nowhere near as bare faced as that...and the local ALP nowhere near as good as their Federal counterparts.

Whichever. However, the question remains: why not try it?

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#4613 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:38 pm

Probably because it was a promise Marshall took to the last election, so to re-commit now would leave an opening for Labor to spruik the Liberal's broken promise. I.e., you promised it last time and didn't deliver, why should we trust you now? My guess is it opens too much risk in an electorate they really can't afford to take risks in right now.

rubberman

#4614 Post by rubberman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:57 pm

whatstheirnamesmom wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:38 pm
Probably because it was a promise Marshall took to the last election, so to re-commit now would leave an opening for Labor to spruik the Liberal's broken promise. I.e., you promised it last time and didn't deliver, why should we trust you now? My guess is it opens too much risk in an electorate they really can't afford to take risks in right now.

Possibly. Although the right turn to North Terrace was a daft idea, and they did kludge up the "too expensive" excuse. :roll:

Proposing an extension from the Bot Gdns along East Terrace (connecting with the O-Bahn), Hutt St, Halifax to just West of King Wm St (or turning into King Wm and terminating at South Terr), would have been a good workaround. But, if they figure it's not worth their while, it's a political calculation I guess they've made. Still, you'd think if they've lost the nimby vote with that stadium, and the WCH construction in the parkland and that highrise on East Terrace, they'd want to try to claw some of it back. Oh well, at least if Labor gets in the parkland doesn't get stadiumised.

SBD

#4615 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:34 am

rubberman wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:57 pm

Possibly. Although the right turn to North Terrace was a daft idea, and they did kludge up the "too expensive" excuse. :roll:

Proposing an extension from the Bot Gdns along East Terrace (connecting with the O-Bahn), Hutt St, Halifax to just West of King Wm St (or turning into King Wm and terminating at South Terr), would have been a good workaround. But, if they figure it's not worth their while, it's a political calculation I guess they've made. Still, you'd think if they've lost the nimby vote with that stadium, and the WCH construction in the parkland and that highrise on East Terrace, they'd want to try to claw some of it back. Oh well, at least if Labor gets in the parkland doesn't get stadiumised.
An openair railyard is such an excellent use of parkland compared to covering it over with a sports and entertainment stadium --- NOT!!!

rubberman

#4616 Post by rubberman » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:34 am
rubberman wrote:

An openair railyard is such an excellent use of parkland compared to covering it over with a sports and entertainment stadium --- NOT!!!
A sports and entertainment stadium is such an excellent use of parkland compared to...PARKland - NOT!!!

The material point being that if you are in a marginal electorate, and you are going to use parkland for ANYTHING other than parkland, you are going to cop it from a range of voters. In this case, it's the entertainment centre...and we already have one. Plus relocation of the WCH - great for developers in North Adelaide of course. Voters, not so much. So, if there's a likely loss of votes in a marginal electorate, why aren't they putting up projects that WILL be popular as offsets? If it's a calculation that trams are not that popular, that's a judgement, sure. However, there's nothing proposed to offset the vote losing parkland loss.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#4617 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 pm

SBD wrote:
rubberman wrote:

The "open air railyward" ceased to exist when the new RAH was built on it.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#4618 Post by aaronjameslange » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:51 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 pm
SBD wrote:
rubberman wrote:

The maintenance facility moved to dry creek when the RAH was built, but the yard is still very much there and very much 'open air', and will still be 'open air' regardless of whether or not the stadium gets built on the parkland*, between the rail yard and the river.

*I use the term parkland loosely, as majority of the site proposed for the stadium in carpark and council storage.

SBD

#4619 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:51 am
gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 pm
SBD wrote:

The maintenance facility moved to dry creek when the RAH was built, but the yard is still very much there and very much 'open air', and will still be 'open air' regardless of whether or not the stadium gets built on the parkland*, between the rail yard and the river.

*I use the term parkland loosely, as majority of the site proposed for the stadium in carpark and council storage.
If more trams are acquired to run extended or more frequent services, a new tram maintenance and storage facility will also be required. There are precedents for having that on parkland (Hackney Road) and CBD warehouse (Angas Street). I imagine that somewhere along Port Road at Thebarton might be a good area for the next one - maybe even on the "old" Entertainment Centre site!

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4620 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:13 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 am
If more trams are acquired to run extended or more frequent services, a new tram maintenance and storage facility will also be required. There are precedents for having that on parkland (Hackney Road) and CBD warehouse (Angas Street). I imagine that somewhere along Port Road at Thebarton might be a good area for the next one - maybe even on the "old" Entertainment Centre site!
If AdeLINK is revisted, the EastLINK part should use Magill Road for two reasons:
1. Trams from North Terrace won't have to turn any corners and the route is shorter, making it faster and cheaper to construct.
2. There is an old tram depot at 179 Magill Road. It could become a tram depot again! All of the Magill to Entertainment Centre trams could be stored there.