Velo Adelaide 500

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Superloop 500

#76 Post by SBD » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:01 am

SRW wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:14 pm
SBD wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:50 am
Can we use the pandemic as a reason to bring forward the 2022 state election and get rid of these Liberal Party clowns before they completely gut the state?
Does the government look so much better under Premier Malinauskas, with Treasurer Mullighan, Infrastructure Minister Koutsantonis, Attorney General Maher etc?

Koutsantonis still won't want to complete the North South Motorway past Queen of Angels Church and Thebarton Theatre, and won't want the construction disruption in his electorate. R2P is being done right in the middle of Malinauskas' electorate. Would it have been done if he was premier?

The "missing bit" crosses Badcoe, Stinson is currently shadow minister for Planning and Local Government.

There would be a good chance that Labor would not wish to disrupt its core voters for the benefit of getting freight and commuters to and from Liberal-held electorates further out of town.
This is such a dud line of reasoning I really can't understand why you keep returning to it. Do you have personal beef with Koutsantonis? Honestly, the projection is curious.
I keep coming back to it because of reports like this and the fact that there is very little reporting of Koutsantonis or ALP having a workable proposal to complete it as fast as Liberal proposes to. Maybe I just read the wrong media, and it's on the back page of the ALP website somewhere?

I don't travel that way often, but would enjoy using a freeway when I need to between T2T and the South Eastern Freeway, whichever route is constructed. I live in a safe Labor electorate in the northern suburbs, so my vote doesn't have much effect on those roads. Northern Expressway, Northern Connector, R2P, T2T, PW2PA are all good results, but fixing dangerous local intersections gets no notice from the incumbent MPs, even when traffic levels have increased because of those headline roads. Upgrading Sturt Highway past Truro would also be a valuable improvement, whether it's "only" for Riverland and NSW traffic, or also for GlobeLink to Murray Bridge around the back of the hills.

This is the Superloop 500 thread, so we should be talking about whether the traffic disruption of a street race on main commuter roads is still a good use of resources as it was in the 1980s to 2000s, or has its time in that place passed. Would that be the best place for a new Formula E event if such a thing was a possibility?

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by jk1237 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:21 pm

haven't posted in a while, but I am not sad to see this go. Its run its course and the street closures and congestion it causes outways the economic positives. I live in the city in between Hutt St and Victoria Park for over 7 years, and while the Clipsal/Superloop never bothered me, most of the usual regulars would stay away from visiting the Hutt Street cafes/pubs during that weekend. I'm usually chatty with my local cafes and they virtually all say that the Clipsal never brought increased spendings on Hutt street for that weekend as any benefit from the visiting car bogans was more that offset from the usually crowd avoiding the area like the plague.

Happy to see it continue in Thailem Bend, but just ridiculous to have a car race like this in a city centre street circuit. Good riddance

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#78 Post by rev » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:32 pm

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Can we use the pandemic as a reason to bring forward the 2022 state election and get rid of these Liberal Party clowns before they completely gut the state?
Does the government look so much better under Premier Malinauskas, with Treasurer Mullighan, Infrastructure Minister Koutsantonis, Attorney General Maher etc?

Koutsantonis still won't want to complete the North South Motorway past Queen of Angels Church and Thebarton Theatre, and won't want the construction disruption in his electorate. R2P is being done right in the middle of Malinauskas' electorate. Would it have been done if he was premier?

The "missing bit" crosses Badcoe, Stinson is currently shadow minister for Planning and Local Government.

There would be a good chance that Labor would not wish to disrupt its core voters for the benefit of getting freight and commuters to and from Liberal-held electorates further out of town.
If I told yoy Mullighan had family near the T2T project, what would that do for your hypothesis?

Why wouldn't Kouts want the corridor to progress? Why would he want the congestion and bottlnecks to be in his electorate?
Since when doesn't he want it completed anyway?
They're in opposition, they're going to have a go at the government of the day on any issue they can that they think will make the government look bad and score them points with voters.

Didnt the R2P planning begin under Labor anyway?
Whose electorate does the Superway lie in?

You do realise it was Labor who finally started this corridor right? If they hadn't made the progress they did, this Liberal government wouldn't have even started a single non stop section. At best they'd be upgrading intersections.

So yes, I do think we would be better off under Labor as opposed to the rabble of the Liberals.
We all knew that nothing other then cuts were coming under the Liberals.

So bring in 2022, and a return of Labor. Because at least then, we will get back to building the state and moving forward, even if it is slow.

rev

#79 Post by rev » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:30 pm

The Supercars will be back – if Labor wins the next election
Miles Kemp, The Advertiser
November 2, 2020 6:34pm
Subscriber only

Labor leader Peter Malinauskas has committed to bringing back the V8 Supercars to Adelaide if his party wins the next election.

Mr Malinauskas said he had signed a memorandum of understanding with Supercars to return the race to the CBD, after flying to Sydney for a meeting on Monday morning.

The next election is due in March 2022, with any prospective future race being 2023 at the earliest.

The State Government made the controversial decision to cut the race last week, citing increasing costs.

This has sparked a backlash from V8 supporters and questions from the hospitality and retail industry over how the void would be filled.

Mr Malinauskas said on Monday: “We are bringing it back if Labor wins, bringing back the Adelaide 500 to the streets of our city.’’

“We are very excited about it and Supercars were very disappointed at how the Marshall Liberal State Government conducted themselves, but we are looking towards a bigger bolder better future for this event.”

The Labor MOU means that market negotiations between the South Australian Tourism Commission would recommence, and is not a guaranteed race return.

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said: “We are encouraged and grateful for this display of support from the South Australian Labor Party and the wider community that would like to see the Adelaide 500 return in the future.”

Premier Steven Marshall rejected the MOU and said it was “reckless”.

“I am very concerned that Peter Malinauskas is dangerously misinformed about the costs of this race,’’ he said.

Mr Marshall said earlier that the decision to cancel the event had not been made lightly.

“COVID-19 has presented significant challenges for the events sector, and the uncertainty and other factors became an unsurmountable hurdle in the plight to deliver a successful race.

“South Australia sets the benchmark for delivering world-class events, and we will continue to invest in this space to create local jobs.”

The news was met with joy by South Australian Supercar drivers and Brad Jones Racing teammates Nick Percat and Todd Hazelwood, who had been vocal against the government’s decision over the weekend.

“The Labor Party has more of an idea of what South Australia is about, what it stands for and what the race is, which is very encouraging,” Percat said.

“From being involved in the industry and being a proud South Australian, it’s really frustrating to see the SA Tourism Commission can’t even get their facts right in regard to this event,” Hazelwood said.

There was more bad news for tourism on Monday, as Mr Marshall revealed the format of all major events for 2021 with “very large crowds” was now in question.

“I think we are going to have to change all our major events which involve very large crowds,’’ he said.

“WOMAD is working with SA Health at the moment for a modified program.

“But the concept of having tens of thousands of people wandering around the parklands is not going to be a reality for WOMAD.”

Also cancelled for 2021 was the 1000-attendee Generations In Jazz event which was to have been held from 30 April to 2 May.

Australian Hostels Association CEO Ian Horne and Business SA CEO Martin Haese joined forces to call for a rescue package for Adelaide tourism and hospitality in next Tuesday’s State Budget.

The Tour Down Under attracts more than 750,000 spectators each year and the Superloop Adelaide 500 averages 244,000 annually.

Since it started in 1999, more than 5.3 million people have attended V8s in Adelaide.

“There is a high expectation in tourism and hospitality that next week’s budget will have, in addition to the money ‘saved’ by not having the Supercars race, significant extra funding to chase events,’’ Mr Horne said.

Mr Haese said the budget must include a plan to revitalise the capital city’s tourism and hospitality.

“Otherwise the question begs to be asked: “Are we the Festival State or the Hermit State?”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 5285547c96

SBD

#80 Post by SBD » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:22 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:32 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:

If I told yoy Mullighan had family near the T2T project, what would that do for your hypothesis?

Why wouldn't Kouts want the corridor to progress? Why would he want the congestion and bottlnecks to be in his electorate?
Since when doesn't he want it completed anyway?
They're in opposition, they're going to have a go at the government of the day on any issue they can that they think will make the government look bad and score them points with voters.

Didnt the R2P planning begin under Labor anyway?
Whose electorate does the Superway lie in?

You do realise it was Labor who finally started this corridor right? If they hadn't made the progress they did, this Liberal government wouldn't have even started a single non stop section. At best they'd be upgrading intersections.

So yes, I do think we would be better off under Labor as opposed to the rabble of the Liberals.
We all knew that nothing other then cuts were coming under the Liberals.

So bring in 2022, and a return of Labor. Because at least then, we will get back to building the state and moving forward, even if it is slow.
I can't answer all of your questions. It appears that Labor started planning for R2P, but stopped because the Commonwealth hadn't committed to pay for it before the state election.https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 42276ec7ec

My take on Koutsantonis is that he thinks his voters are more worried about construction noise, disruption and loss of local facilities than they are about the status quo. Perhaps Liberals have the same issue about a street circuit disrupting voters in Dunstan, Hartley and Bragg.

The Superway spans part of Croydon (Malinauskas) and Port Adelaide (Close, ALP), but as it is industrial areas, might be seen as different.

I suspect both sides can claim to have "started this corridor" when they want to - construction of the Southern Expressway began under Olsen but was first announced early in Bannon's career as Premier. I think we can also "blame" both sides for various delays and mis-steps. We could probably go further back and see when South Road was extended north of Torrens Road as being the start of the corridor, if not earlier.

"Building the state" is all about which projects you think are important. The Port Wakefield bypass/overpass were Liberal election promises, also Joy Baluch AM bridge I think. Liberal also proposed the east-of-the-hills bypass (GlobeLink), but has been talked out of it for the time being. Has either party successfully established an export port in Spencer Gulf near Cowell?

Government has (under both parties) put a lot of work into approvals for various mining ventures that have not (yet?) eventuated - Olympic Dam expansion, Hillside, Iron Road etc.

On the whole, I think both sides have done some good, and made some stuff-ups, and likely will continue to do both. I'd rather hear them talking up how great it would be for them to be in government, rather than talking down how bad it is that someone else is.

rev

#81 Post by rev » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:33 am

You think, and said, that they or Tom don't want the disruption through their electorate.
Clearly that isn't the case, as clearly there have been several sections of the corridor already built through Labor controlled seats. Even some ministers families have been affected by the construction noise and disruption caused by closed roads and so on.

I really don't care who started it to be honest, because while the Liberals may have built us a ONE WAY EXPRESSWAY (the only on in the world and which made us a laughing stock - which a Labor government duplicated properly), it is still the Liberal party which has done almost nothing, while the Labor party are the ones which really got the ball rolling with this corridor.

They've done the easy bits first. It's always been known that the remaining stretch through the western suburbs is the most challenging section.

But you see here's the thing. On either side of this section, you have almost complete motorway. So it's not logical, nor practical to now leave the middle section through the west untouched and not turned into a motorway. Whoever is in government, their hand is forced. Whoever is in government and doesn't act, is a failure. There's billions on the table from the Federal government to complete this corridor. There is no excuse to not get it done.

The Liberals have been in government for two years and we're still no closer to knowing what's going to happen or when. The best we've heard is 2023 or 2024. That's after the next state election.

The best thing the Labor party can do, because it's obvious the Liberals wont do anything for years to come, unless perhaps they are under extreme pressure, is to come up with a plan NOW. We're two years out from the next election. Plenty of time to get their act together and come up with a viable plan and even have an alternative.

If work doesn't start on this section before the next election, it WILL BE an election issue.

The congestion and bottlenecks are bad enough already. It's going to get worse.

But lets get back to the topic, the Superloop 500.
There's a national outcry over this decision. And rightly so, it's the biggest motorsport event in Australia, and it's an iconic event.
The decision to cancel it has nothing to do with covid19 nonsense nor with lower crowds. It's had drops in attendances before, it wasn't cancelled.
We have football matches were the crowds drop, should we cancel the AFL in South Australia?
How about the state league cricket? Everything except the BigBash gets abysmal crowds. Let's cancel cricket?
They've actually put the future of the Supercars event at The Bend in jeopardy by cancelling the Superloop 500, because Supercars has said they aren't interested in running an event at The Bend unless the Superloop 500 is going ahead. We've also probably lost the Supercars awards night which they were planning to hold here in Adelaide.

People from the east coast, from Sydney and Melbourne, are outraged. They're talking up Adelaide in this regard, about how great the 500 is not just as a street circuit but as an event in it's own right. Imagine that, the east coast talking up our city, upset that a major event has been cancelled, while out state government doesn't give a shit. Have we entered the twilight zone.
Motosport legends talking about what a great time they've had in Adelaide, how great it is to come here, to walk from their hotels through the city and stop at great restaurants and cafes.
Oh well, at least we've gotten some silver lining to the negative outcome from the Liberals, so when Labor inevitably get back into power in 2 years we can try capitalize on it.
Hopefully the Labor party comes to their senses, tells the minority locals around Vic Park to put a sock in it, and builds a permanent facility along pit lane. That would be the next step up in the 500 event, and wider year round use of the park outside of the 500.

SBD

#82 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:25 am

Peter Malinauskas has apparently come back from his interstate trip with a signed MOU that if the ALP win the next election, the Supercar event will be back on. Is it at all interesting that we have not heard from Superloop at all during these activities?

The Sydney and Melbourne (and Montreal) street circuits are between or beside main roads so that there is less disruption. The Gold Coast circuit only uses half the width of the main road so traffic can continue (at reduced pace).

Most of the statements about the Adelaide event would still be true if the race was held somewhere else such as around the Wayville Showgrounds. The 1985 street circuit was for Formula 1 and set out to match Monaco, which is a very different city than Adelaide.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:58 am

SBD wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:25 am
Peter Malinauskas has apparently come back from his interstate trip with a signed MOU that if the ALP win the next election, the Supercar event will be back on. Is it at all interesting that we have not heard from Superloop at all during these activities?
Not overly "interesting," no. They probably don't want to look "political" and to be supporting one side over the other. As for an MOU, they are generally (as the name suggests), a fairly loose agreement with lots of wiggle room available for either side.

Nathan

#84 Post by Nathan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Ahhh, just like when the Liberals cancelled the 9 year ALMS contract after 1 year under the guise of giving money to nurses, but then ended up having to fork most of it over as compensation for breaking the contract.
Taxpayers may have to compensate Supercars for cancelled Adelaide 500

Taxpayers may be forced to compensate Supercars after the State Government axed the 2021 Adelaide 500.

Premier Steven Marshall confirmed on Tuesday that negotiations were under way to settle the canned contract with Supercars.

Mr Marshall said he could not outline how much the Government may have to reimburse Supercars because “that’s subject to a negotiation”.

“I think there are some negotiations going on with regards to the fulfilment of the obligations under that contract but I don’t have anything to report today,” he said.

Mr Marshall also confirmed that any Government-owned assets associated with the Adelaide 500 that could not be used for other events would be sold off.

“Some of the specialist facilities that we have with regards to the construction and the deconstruction of the track each year may be specialist and can’t be repurposed and if that’s the case we’ll look to sell those at the best return for the taxpayers,” he said.

It comes as Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas said South Australians had a “right to know” exactly how much the decision to scrap the Adelaide 500 would cost taxpayers.

“I think South Australians are horrified that Steven Marshall has made a decision that has a $45 million impact on the economy but they’ll be even more alarmed at the prospect that there may be costs to the taxpayer that Steven Marshall has not yet outlined,” he said.

Mr Malinauskas also said he hoped the Government wasn’t undermining Labor’s pledge to return V8 Supercar racing to Adelaide if it wins the next State Election.

“I hope that Steven Marshall isn’t actively sabotaging the prospect of getting the V8s back by selling off the infrastructure,” he said.

Mr Malinauskas and Supercars CEO Sean Seamer signed a memorandum of understanding on Monday which would see Labor bring V8 Supercars back to Adelaide if the party wins the 2022 election.

SA Best MLC and Sport and Recreation spokesman Frank Pangallo urged the Government not to hold a “fire sale” of the equipment used to run the Adelaide 500 until after the election.

Mr Pangallo also revealed he was in discussions with numerous car clubs about holding a protect car rally, starting at Victoria Park, in the coming weeks.

“Thousands of people – and not only revheads – are very angry at the government for its short-sighted decision, and rightly so,” he said.

“They should be given an opportunity to voice their frustration – and put pressure on the State Government to overturn its illogical decision.”

The State Government announced on Thursday it had scrapped the event in response to a recommendation from the South Australian Tourism Commission.

Rising costs, falling crowds, declining commercial interest and the coronavirus pandemic were blamed for the event’s demise.

As The Advertiser reported on Saturday, new figures revealed this year’s event generated $38 million in economic benefit, compared to 45.9 million in 2019.

The number of interstate and international visitors decreased during the same period from 15,200 to 11,906.

SATC has been contacted for comment.

rev

#85 Post by rev » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 pm

The 500 is locked in for 5 years as the season ending race/event.
Looks like they'll be closing the roads off for the track a few weeks earlier this year to re-do the road surface because it's in disrepair.

The eastern suburbs snobs have their panties in a twist already at the thought of some roads being closed for a couple weeks for the Supercars, meanwhile not a peep out of them regarding the end of Rundle being closed for 3 months for an arts event. Council's bitching and moaning about it too, but they also permitted Rundle to be closed for 3 months for an arts event.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 1123a566fa

Behind a pay wall as usual.

Nort

#86 Post by Nort » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:04 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 pm
The 500 is locked in for 5 years as the season ending race/event.
Looks like they'll be closing the roads off for the track a few weeks earlier this year to re-do the road surface because it's in disrepair.

The eastern suburbs snobs have their panties in a twist already at the thought of some roads being closed for a couple weeks for the Supercars, meanwhile not a peep out of them regarding the end of Rundle being closed for 3 months for an arts event. Council's bitching and moaning about it too, but they also permitted Rundle to be closed for 3 months for an arts event.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 1123a566fa

Behind a pay wall as usual.
It's good for the city and races have been happenings for 30+ years now so predates most residents who moved in knowing it was an annual event, but uhh I suggest consulting a map if you think the Rundle Road closure is at all an equivalent level of scale and disruption to what the street circuit causes.

GreenMan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#87 Post by GreenMan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:55 pm

You guys tell me.... what type of CLIMATE EMERGENCY do we have when it’s ok to bring back these types of events ??

Because I am pretty sure that Peter Malinauskas declared a climate emergency a few weeks ago.

We need to get serious about climate change in this state.

bits
Legendary Member!

#88 Post by bits » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:44 am

@GreenMan are you concerned about the image a combustion engine car race gives?
As the race alone will add insignificantly small amounts to the total outputs from South Australia.

Very small changes to electricity generation, consumption, general car and trucks usage, industrial uses etc would make much more substantial changes to the numbers.

Nathan

#89 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 am

I think it's been said that the emissions around the track are actually quite a bit lower during the race week than they are with normal traffic (and that was before the switch to E85 fuel).

For most motorsport categories these days, including F1, the carbon footprint of the racing is minimal. It's the logistics that make up the vast majority of the carbon cost of the event.

rev

#90 Post by rev » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:04 pm

The forklifts and cranes used on site, would hardly be anywhere near to the thousands of cars that use the nearby roads on a daily basis, that get closed for the track, in terms of emissions and pollution.

I think anyone trying to make that argument is stretching reality.

The marquees and infrastructure that goes up for the race, is already built, it exists. It's not like they're destroying a forest, digging up a new mine, polluting a waterway, every time the race is held.

The economical benefit of this event far outweighs any negative impacts.

Besides, I don't know why we're even talking about this with GHS/Greenman just doing his usual shit stirring trolling, surprised he managed to not make a racist remarks.