Velo Adelaide 500

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
arki
High Rise Poster!

Re: Superloop 500

#61 Post by arki » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:06 pm

9 news reporting that the the 500 is done for good.

I’d be fine with the news if this government actually entertained the push for Formula E, but that doesn’t look to be happening either.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:51 pm

arki wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:06 pm
9 news reporting that the the 500 is done for good.

I’d be fine with the news if this government actually entertained the push for Formula E, but that doesn’t look to be happening either.
Does Adelaide still need the disruption caused by a street circuit with al the setup and teardown, or is this a natural progression from having so many other events in Adelaide, plus a shiny new dedicated circuit at Tailem Bend?

I agree that Formula E would be a good fit for South Australia, but maybe the Eastern Adelaide temporary street circuit has had its time. The Bend is just across the highway from a solar farm.

Hmm - I wonder if Formula E could come with a battery-operated passenger train to reinforce the green credentials.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am
No 500 in the city would be a huge loss. Doesn't really make sense to blame the pandemic when we are having football with 20,000 spectators going.
Masks are supposed to protect you? Why can't the riggers putting up grand stands and marquees where masks?
The street circuit event, either for the Supercars or another major category (hopefully international) should be maintained. It is unique and something special about Adelaide.

The NBA is running with virtual fans.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/surr ... behind-it/

Australia is so behind on everything, no innovation left.

While we're on the topic of The Bend they're considering making a bid to temporarily host the Australian F1 GP if Melbourne is unable to host it. Would be good for The Bend, but if the F1 was to ever come back, it should be at the street circuit.
The Adelaide nimby brigade and their friends in the state Liberals have been trying to kill the Adelaide 500 for years, the pandemic is just an incredibly convenient scapegoat after Samaras spent the last 2 years pressuring for the race to be removed from around his planned new personal residential tower.

Nathan

#64 Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Feel for all the city businesses that will feel the impact, particularly in hospitality. Yes the Adelaide Festival and Fringe bring a lot of people into the city, but the race like it or not, brought a large crowd that didn't necessarily overlap and now won't be visiting. I'm not a fan of Supercars (I prefer F1) but I've been the last couple of years and it's been a pretty decent event.

Handy present for the Shahins though.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:35 am

Grandstands and other infrastructure sold to the Shahins in 3, 2, 1....
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Will » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:53 am

I'm not surprised by this. With the demise of Holden, and the collapse of local manufacturing, ongoing interest in this format of motor sport was always going to wane.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by Bob » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:03 am

This announcement is of no surprise to me.

See my comments on this topic back in February this year.

Its future has been under a cloud in the background, since the start of the year.

It was just a matter of what explanation would be provided to justify the axing.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by Jaymz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:45 am

I think this a smart move by the state Govt. There's no doubt that interest in the V8 Supercars is going to decline rapidly from here on in, it's no coincidence that Clipsal bailed on it a few years go after being one of the most successful sponsorship deals in Australian sports history for a long period.

I do agree with others though, we should be looking at some other format to be used on the street circuit but at a slightly different time of the year, directly before or after the festival season would be ideal.

ghs

#69 Post by ghs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:14 am

The liberal government have made a big mistake here. Only hope now is that labor get voted In at the 2022 election and bring the event back.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#70 Post by rev » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:17 pm

This is one of the stupidest moves any government could make.

There's no point discussing why, because most South Australian's are dumb and don't see the big picture.
Most don't understand why Victoria wont let the Formula 1 go even though the event it self runs at a loss.

Nathan

#71 Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:15 pm

I think it's easy to point to attendance figures over the past 2 years dropping, but doing so lacks context. 2019 we had an awful heatwave — I remember the day I went it was at least 40°. And 2020, we were coming off the back of the bushfires. Even if you ignore the latter as a factor, a single bad year is not enough to extrapolate a trend.

rev

#72 Post by rev » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:49 am

Nathan wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:15 pm
I think it's easy to point to attendance figures over the past 2 years dropping, but doing so lacks context. 2019 we had an awful heatwave — I remember the day I went it was at least 40°. And 2020, we were coming off the back of the bushfires. Even if you ignore the latter as a factor, a single bad year is not enough to extrapolate a trend.
The Friday and Saturday in 2019 were 39 degrees, Sunday dropped to 31. But you've already lost your two main days and nights. 254,000 attended.
The 2018 event had milder weather, and had 273,000 in attendance.
This years event saw 206,000 attend.

The 2019 event also pumped just over a record $45 million into the state. 2018 was $41 million.

There's more at play here then what they say. And those who are questioning certain lets say billionaires and other wealthy people nearby the track's possible involvement...well, they're probably on the money. Keep digging, it wont be hard to find someone whose going to talk off the record and their name kept out of it if there's something to be said.

These idiots say that it's not possible to recoup the costs during a pandemic.
Well, what about supporting employment during the god damn pandemic you imbeciles. Thousands of people and small and medium businesses rely on events like this.

Btw, there was one more year left on the current contract with Supercars. And Supercars were more then interested in keeping the Adelaide 500 on the calender.

Imagine if Labor canned it in 2003 when it had it's previous lowest crowd of 213,000....?
This event has pumped half a billion dollars into the state economy.
It's won numerous awards year after year.

If anything, the biggest event of it's kind in the country, multiple awards won, and the biggest event in the state, needed a revamp, a refresh, not to be canned.

rev

#73 Post by rev » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:50 am

Can we use the pandemic as a reason to bring forward the 2022 state election and get rid of these Liberal Party clowns before they completely gut the state?

SBD

#74 Post by SBD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:50 am
Can we use the pandemic as a reason to bring forward the 2022 state election and get rid of these Liberal Party clowns before they completely gut the state?
Does the government look so much better under Premier Malinauskas, with Treasurer Mullighan, Infrastructure Minister Koutsantonis, Attorney General Maher etc?

Koutsantonis still won't want to complete the North South Motorway past Queen of Angels Church and Thebarton Theatre, and won't want the construction disruption in his electorate. R2P is being done right in the middle of Malinauskas' electorate. Would it have been done if he was premier?

The "missing bit" crosses Badcoe, Stinson is currently shadow minister for Planning and Local Government.

There would be a good chance that Labor would not wish to disrupt its core voters for the benefit of getting freight and commuters to and from Liberal-held electorates further out of town.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by SRW » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:14 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:50 am
Does the government look so much better under Premier Malinauskas, with Treasurer Mullighan, Infrastructure Minister Koutsantonis, Attorney General Maher etc?

Koutsantonis still won't want to complete the North South Motorway past Queen of Angels Church and Thebarton Theatre, and won't want the construction disruption in his electorate. R2P is being done right in the middle of Malinauskas' electorate. Would it have been done if he was premier?

The "missing bit" crosses Badcoe, Stinson is currently shadow minister for Planning and Local Government.

There would be a good chance that Labor would not wish to disrupt its core voters for the benefit of getting freight and commuters to and from Liberal-held electorates further out of town.
This is such a dud line of reasoning I really can't understand why you keep returning to it. Do you have personal beef with Koutsantonis? Honestly, the projection is curious.
Keep Adelaide Weird