Visual Development Data

All other development discussion.
kinnoda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Visual Development Data

#1 Post by kinnoda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Having worked in Local Government for a while now, I have realised how blessed we are to have such great access to localised development data. A lot of this data is available online, through development registers, and it will be compulsory for this to all be online from January 1 for each Council from next year, however I still think that trawling through lists, searching for addresses, looking at lodgements for the past week, month etc is just cumbersome and does not leave much to the imagination.

I have been playing around with some very basic ideas for setting up a centralised planning portal for South Australia. The SA Government has sa.gov.au however a lot of the information on here is either outdated, hard to find or Council's have different processes.

But for a starting point, I am looking at ways that Google Maps can be used to display data related to development applications.

Can you guys have a look at the link below and tell me what you think? I have just used Port Adelaide Enfield as an example, no particular reason - keeping in mind that this data is all available already.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... ZVF19wM3HM

I have two layers on there - one for DAs lodged in April, the other for last week. Do you think developers, real estate agents, even the general public, would find this sort of visual data useful at all? It might be a bit buggy right now. What info would people want? Whether things are on public notice? Where there are new DPAs?
planningandurbandesignaus.tumblr.com

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Visual Development Data

#2 Post by build 'em smarter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Nice work... clear and simple. Not at all aware of how that all works, but here are a couple of suggestions:

be able to sort the list by property/development type not just date?
link to the public notification docs if possible once you select a property?

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Visual Development Data

#3 Post by Rene » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 pm

I think it's a great initiative and a good start :D