[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 160m | 39lvls | Mixed Use

#301 Post by rev » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:50 pm

MicBara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:50 pm
What impact, if any, has the tram line running past had on this development?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#302 Post by Jaymz » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:08 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:50 pm
MicBara wrote:
Whaddya mean Rev? Trams seem to be the answer to everything in this forum, even though we ripped up our extensive tram system decades ago :lol:

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#303 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sun May 01, 2022 1:23 pm

Locked-out History Trust eyes new North Tce home

The SA History Trust is considering moving into the state heritage-listed Freemasons Hall on North Terrace, after the Malinauskas Government tore up a deal for it to set up in Ayers House following the National Trust’s controversial eviction.

Environment Minister Susan Close yesterday cancelled a contract that would have seen Ayers House renovated into offices for the History Trust of SA – a government-run organisation.

Former Marshall Government Environment Minister David Speirs in June last year evicted the non-government National Trust from the historic site it had occupied since 1972, giving it 31 days to move out.

The decision prompted a bitter public dispute and legal proceedings.

Speirs extended the deadline but the National Trust’s bid to stay on was unsuccessful and it packed up its museum and vacated the site earlier this year.

The Labor government will now review how the $6.6 million that was committed by the Liberals for the renovations is spent, but says the National Trust can move back into the building later this year.

The decision has left the History Trust with just six months to find another home, with its current lease at the Torrens Parade Ground Drill Hall due to end on October 30.

History Trust SA CEO Greg Mackie told InDaily this morning that he was “not in a position to speculate” about alternate sites but later conceded he was considering the Freemasons Hall on North Terrace as one of two potential new homes.

“It (the Freemasons Hall) is a potential site,” he said, citing the building’s proximity to Adelaide’s cultural institutions, universities and the central business district as a drawcard.

“Obviously, we have a very unique situation in Adelaide as a capital city where we have all of our state collecting institutions lined up in a row and the proximity to our collecting cousins remains an important element.

“Of equal importance is our ability to conduct public programs on-site.”

The state heritage-listed Freemasons Hall was built in 1925 and is considered one of Adelaide’s grandest buildings.

It comprises six levels of office and meeting rooms, three lodge rooms, kitchens, reception and banqueting rooms, a Masonic Museum and library.

The Freemasons plan to demolish the rear section of the building to make way for a $120 million, 160-metre-high tower that is in the running to be one of Adelaide’s tallest buildings.

Under the plans, the front heritage-listed section of the building would be retained, with the former government expressing interest in using the space for a new museum showcasing Adelaide’s history.

Mackie said ideally, the History Trust would like to move into a “prestigious state heritage-listed building” located on or near North Terrace.

He said it was possible that the trust could move into a non-government-owned building, provided it had “ample space” to host public events.

“We have been a public-facing institution for 41 year – since we were established – and we have had the privilege of occupying state heritage-listed buildings where the public can engage and where we can present public programs, events for audiences, whether it’s talks, lectures, debates, screenings,” he said.

Former History Trust sites include the old Treasury building on Flinders Street, the Institute Building on the corner of Kintore Avenue and North Terrace and Edmund Wright House on King William Street.

Mackie met with Close and Education Minister Blair Boyer for the first time since the the Malinauskas government was sworn-in yesterday.

Close told InDaily the History Trust had a “very good handle on what’s available”, adding she didn’t think it was necessary for the government to purchase another state heritage building to accommodate the organisation.

“That’s not what’s being asked,” she said.

“We have access to a lot of properties and Greg’s working through what works best.

“I think we need to let him work through that.”

National Trust SA CEO Darren Peacock told ABC Radio Adelaide this morning that the organisation only finished moving out in February and the decision to reverse the eviction was “very welcome”.

“The house is protected for the people of South Australia,” he said.

“It’s not about us, it’s actually about making sure Ayers House remains a place for the public and what was concerning about the previous government’s plans was they were basically subdividing it into private catering facilities and government offices.”

Close said the former government budgeted about $250,000 to help the National Trust vacate its possessions from Ayers House, but she wasn’t sure if all of that was spent.

She said she was unable to reveal how much it had cost the government to cancel the contract to renovate Ayers House, but it was “well under $500,000”.

“There was around $6 million that has been allocated to upgrade Ayers House,” she said.

“We still have that money, so we just need to rescope the works because some of it we do want to see happen – disability access and some heritage upgrades – but others just associated with moving the History Trust are no longer necessary.

“That’s why we’ve ended the contract and will work through what is the appropriate expenditure.”

Mackie described the decision as “unfortunate”, but said he respected the wishes of the government.

“My job as a professional public sector leader is to implement without fear or favour the policy position of the duly elected government,” he said.

“I will work constructively and creatively toward an alternate outcome.”

Mackie was a vocal supporter of the former government’s decision to evict the National Trust from Ayers House, claiming in media interviews that his organisation would be a better custodian of the building.

In July, he told The Advertiser that the National Trust was “good at managing buildings and looking after buildings and holding them in the status quo”, but they weren’t able to activate buildings as well as the History Trust.

“I haven’t seen any examples in South Australia where they’ve (the National Trust) really been able to bring buildings to life and tell the history story in a way that the History Trust of South Australia have demonstrated that they’re able to,” he said.

Asked this morning whether he still believed the History Trust was the best organisation to preside over Ayers House, Mackie said: “I won’t make a comparison, but what I will say is we’ve had 40 years’ experience at making culture, heritage and history appealing to visitors and audiences”.

“I wish the National Trust well in that endeavour and I’ll leave it at that.”

A spokesperson for Speirs declined to comment.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#304 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:44 am

MicBara wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:58 am
Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:41 am
Welcome!

I think I've also seen you engaging with some of the Facebook groups that fancy themselves the guards of Adelaide's heritage.

Usually, these early plans are kept quite secret, is it part of a strategy to have you out there, or are you just going rogue? :D
Usually, things are kept secret because a lot of projects don't happen, or they're a pipedream cooked up to increase the value of land ready for a sale.
The biggest challenge in SA is securing capital, we have a lot of money here, but that rarely translates into investment. Our planning rules, maligned as they are sometimes, are an order of magnitude easier than Sydney.
In this case, the property is owned by a member organisation that needs to vote on things; it's impossible and frankly unwise to try and keep everything a secret when you need people to make an informed decision about the future of their building.
Hi Micbara,

Any update on the development?

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#305 Post by timtam20292 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:45 pm

And once again we are having to remind members not to bump threads asking for an update as this causes other members to think that there is an update. :wallbash:

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#306 Post by MicBara » Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:26 pm
MicBara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:14 pm
The "electric helicopter" looks like the all-seeing eye and the whole building looks like the bottom of a pyramid. What other masonic symbolism will be incorporated in the design?
Ha, you're right. It does look like their "eye" symbol, funny, but the engineers drew that diagram at ARUP.

The plan includes as much Masonic symbology as possible from the number of floors, steps, staircases, etc. and lots of hidden details. Unless you're a Freemason, you won't know what they mean (and neither will I).

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#307 Post by MicBara » Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm

rev wrote:
MicBara wrote:
Nothing other than it's fantastic to have a tram stop right in front of a building that we hope a lot of people will visit.

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#308 Post by MicBara » Sun May 22, 2022 5:24 pm

Here are some more cool renders.
First one is the front elevation, next are some concepts for the hotel lobby and lastly the view from the top.
More changes are likely, we're working with numerous hotel groups to refine the model and a lot of those conversations I simply can't share.

I'll probably push back lodging DA until August so we can make a stack of announcements all at once.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 17.17.37.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 17.18.41.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 17.19.34.png

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#309 Post by Pistol » Sun May 22, 2022 6:52 pm

Impressive, thanks MicBara :banana:
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#310 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:00 am

timtam20292 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:45 pm
And once again we are having to remind members not to bump threads asking for an update as this causes other members to think that there is an update. :wallbash:
See, had I not asked we wouldn't have seen these stunning renders now would we tim :roll: ??

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#311 Post by Nort » Mon May 23, 2022 10:30 am

MicBara wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:24 pm
First one is the front elevation, next are some concepts for the hotel lobby and lastly the view from the top.
More changes are likely, we're working with numerous hotel groups to refine the model and a lot of those conversations I simply can't share.

I'll probably push back lodging DA until August so we can make a stack of announcements all at once.
Thanks for sharing, it will be interesting to have something that doesn't have a square silhouette on the skyline!

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#312 Post by HiTouch » Mon May 23, 2022 11:13 am

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:00 am
timtam20292 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:45 pm
See, had I not asked we wouldn't have seen these stunning renders now would we tim :roll: ??
Ignore him Viny, don't be afraid to post on this forum. At the very least, it boosts engagement.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#313 Post by rev » Mon May 23, 2022 11:31 am

MicBara wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm
rev wrote:
MicBara wrote:
Nothing other than it's fantastic to have a tram stop right in front of a building that we hope a lot of people will visit.
Good to know.
I asked because the sentiment among some is that a tram line/stop can aid in boosting development of an area.

Thanks for posting those renders, look forward to seeing the final renders.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#314 Post by A-Town » Mon May 23, 2022 8:53 pm

rev wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:31 am
MicBara wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm
rev wrote:

Good to know.
I asked because the sentiment among some is that a tram line/stop can aid in boosting development of an area.

Thanks for posting those renders, look forward to seeing the final renders.
Which is exactly why we need trams running up O'Connell, St North Adelaide.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#315 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue May 24, 2022 10:49 am

MicBara wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:24 pm

So your hopefully still pushing for 187 metres high then?