[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 160m | 39lvls | Mixed Use

#286 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:41 am

Welcome!

I think I've also seen you engaging with some of the Facebook groups that fancy themselves the guards of Adelaides heritage.

Usually these early plans are kept quite secret, is it part of a strategy to have you out there, or are you just going rogue? :D

Algernon

#287 Post by Algernon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:48 am

Not kidding about the high floors on the lower levels :shock:

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#288 Post by MicBara » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:58 am

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:41 am
Welcome!

I think I've also seen you engaging with some of the Facebook groups that fancy themselves the guards of Adelaide's heritage.

Usually, these early plans are kept quite secret, is it part of a strategy to have you out there, or are you just going rogue? :D
Usually, things are kept secret because a lot of projects don't happen, or they're a pipedream cooked up to increase the value of land ready for a sale.
The biggest challenge in SA is securing capital, we have a lot of money here, but that rarely translates into investment. Our planning rules, maligned as they are sometimes, are an order of magnitude easier than Sydney.
In this case, the property is owned by a member organisation that needs to vote on things; it's impossible and frankly unwise to try and keep everything a secret when you need people to make an informed decision about the future of their building.

Nort

#289 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:40 am

MicBara wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:58 am
Nort wrote:
Welcome!

I think I've also seen you engaging with some of the Facebook groups that fancy themselves the guards of Adelaide's heritage.

Usually, these early plans are kept quite secret, is it part of a strategy to have you out there, or are you just going rogue? :D
Usually, things are kept secret because a lot of projects don't happen, or they're a pipedream cooked up to increase the value of land ready for a sale.
The biggest challenge in SA is securing capital, we have a lot of money here, but that rarely translates into investment. Our planning rules, maligned as they are sometimes, are an order of magnitude easier than Sydney.
In this case, the property is owned by a member organisation that needs to vote on things; it's impossible and frankly unwise to try and keep everything a secret when you need people to make an informed decision about the future of their building.
That's a really good point, thanks for the transparency! :)

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#290 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:45 am

I had no idea this was right next to Adelaidian and and the student tower. This block is going to look insane by our standards 💚💚💚

Thanks for the info mate!

Nort

#291 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 am

I'd love if this and Dominator were going up at the same time, would be such a change for the city!

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#292 Post by HiTouch » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:02 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 am
I'd love if this and Dominator were going up at the same time, would be such a change for the city!
SA1*

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#293 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:51 pm

Will there be access improvements to Synagogue Place from North Terrace?

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#294 Post by aceman » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 pm

MicBara wrote:
Nort wrote:
Welcome!

have you received approval from the relevant aviation authorities regarding air space? it always seems to be the biggest stumbling block when it comes to development in SA.

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#295 Post by MicBara » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:56 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:51 pm
Will there be access improvements to Synagogue Place from North Terrace?
I can't say that there definitely will because we don't own the land.
We absolutely want to work with the council on that though. We will still need vehicle access because taxi's, cars and delivery vans will come down the road and turn right to exit on the eastern side of the building.
On the western side, we are going to prevent traffic so that there is a permanent and well-designed pedestrian connection between North Terrace and Rundle Street.
In an ideal world, we would control the entrance to Synagogue place with hydraulic automated bollards so that the space is primarily open for foot traffic.

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#296 Post by MicBara » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:01 pm

aceman wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 pm
MicBara wrote:
Nort wrote:
Welcome!

have you received approval from the relevant aviation authorities regarding air space? it always seems to be the biggest stumbling block when it comes to development in SA.
Initial conversations have been positive thanks to the hard work others have done before us. Based on our real height the maximum height is 187m before we have a problem. Of course, that doesn't allow for crane height and you kind of need cranes to be higher than the roof in order to finish the building.
I've joked about lifting the "cap" of the building with a CH-47 Chinook but the engineers are total killjoys. We can likely breach the height for a period of 3 months to complete the construction which should be enough.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#297 Post by Mpol02 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:55 am

Thanks so much for this.

When you say others have done hard work before this, do you mean the seam at SA1 and the 180m tower there allowing for this to be an easier process for ya selves?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#298 Post by AG » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:57 am

MicBara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:50 pm
G'day, everyone.
I'm the lead project manager on the Freemasons Hall redevelopment, so I'm happy to answer any questions.
I had no idea this forum existed, but I love a good old fashioned forum.

I've had a scroll through the thread, so here are some answers to the more common questions:

Why so tall
Firstly, the original building that opened in 1927 was an icon using new construction methods and was one of, if not the tallest in the city. We think it would be nice to reclaim that spot.
Secondly, the building envelope is very tight, and we have several financial hurdles to hit. Going taller gives us more floors to let, more potential revenue and a better chance to recover the expensive upfront costs to deal with the tight squeeze and costs to renovate the retained heritage building (estimated to cost around $8million).
Lastly, North Terrace is our cultural boulevard and will remain that way, and we'll only build it once, so the objective is to deliver something that suits the skyline and the area for the next 100 years.
Depending on tenants and financial constraints, we may go higher but keep that one to yourselves :D

The design
The design released so far is purely a concept, and it's being refined with every meeting; the core concept will remain through - a simple, elegant and understated tower. As for the number of floors, we are focused on very high ceilings with flexible spaces on the first eight floors and the top 5 floors; this will ultimately come down to the tenants selected, a few of which are confidential.
We're looking at innovation in the building lighting and display effects - if I have my way, you'll see dramatic effects when a goal is scored at the Oval and something interesting to see from the plane as you come home. We're also looking at innovative ways to manage basement access and transport in and out of the site.
Lastly, we're taking on the "Living building challenge, " a challenging building standard focused on a "net positive" carbon footprint. It's a highly ambitious standard, and we'll be pushing the engineers (ARUP) and WalterBrooke (architects) hard to find ways to reduce waste, build smart and sustainable. I'm not going to go out and say we will meet that "net positive" goal but we're going to do everything we can to push the envelope without breaking the budget.

Commercial demand
I agree with some of the comments regarding the level of commercial demand in the CBD; this is primarily influenced by the number of low quality or semi dilapidated assets owned by elderly gents with no desire to renovate. This is a problem for hotels, and many are caught in a discounting cycle that burns any revenue they could put aside for FF&E, leaving them with tired assets.
The economics of SA is pretty interesting, but the averages don't tell you the full story. Our approach on this site is to keep pure commercial to a minimum and focus on AAA+ tenants.
Regarding Hotels - demand is very high. The interest from operator groups was overwhelming, and without spilling too much, we're likely to hit a record for m2 rates. Primarily because the location is so great, public transport out the front, excellent restaurants behind us, lot 14, Uni Adelaide etc. right on the doorstep etc.

We're currently working with heritage to ensure we can demolish the rear hall; that's the most critical next step. After that, we'll focus on finalising the tenant mix and lodging plans for approval.
At this stage, I'm expecting we will complete the building in 2025, well ahead of the building centenary in 2027.

I hope you find that all interesting. I'm happy to post up some more pictures from the process if anyone would like.
Hey MicBara,

It's great to see such open dialogue about the thought processes and considerations being worked through for the concept on this development.

As someone who works within the property sector providing property technical advice in Adelaide, it is pleasing to see that creating a healthy indoor environment for potential tenants and sustainable design inclusions seems to be a priority. While the use of sustainable design options including ventilated facade elements and timber seems to have picked up in other cities, it has been largely missing from the conversations here in Adelaide.

Given that so many of the quality commercial tenants now won't consider leasing space in any office building that doesn't incorporate healthy indoor space, open floors and energy efficiency (something lacking in most Adelaide office buildings), if you can get this right I don't think you will have problems finding willing tenants to occupy the space.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#299 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:26 pm

MicBara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:14 pm
The "electric helicopter" looks like the all-seeing eye and the whole building looks like the bottom of a pyramid. What other masonic symbolism will be incorporated in the design?

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#300 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:26 pm
MicBara wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:14 pm
The "electric helicopter" looks like the all-seeing eye and the whole building looks like the bottom of a pyramid. What other masonic symbolism will be incorporated in the design?
This is just an idea graphic mate... you shouldn't be complaining about this.