[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

#541 Post by Pikey » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:12 pm

MicBara wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:49 pm
Pikey wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:37 am
Just a quick question MicBara if I may. On the massing renders shown below it appears the southern services core is clad in a non reflective material where as the min visuals show that southern facade with a uniform reflective result. Which outcome should we expect? Fingers crossed the full reflective option!
The early designs had a solid south facade so I could project a massive game of tetris on the back. I've been assured that we can still project 80's/90's video games so long as the glass is treated correctly. Vertical games like 1942, tetris and space invaders will work best.

The submitted plans are uniform reflective.
If you said that the facade would allow punters to play a giant game of Double Dragon or Golden Axe, I would have been stoked :lol: 1942 was such an all time game... I'm showing my age now!

It's great how engaging you've been on the detail of this incredible project to our group. It goes without saying how much it's appreciated by everyone!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#542 Post by MicBara » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:16 am

Pikey wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:12 pm
MicBara wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:49 pm
Pikey wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:37 am
Just a quick question MicBara if I may. On the massing renders shown below it appears the southern services core is clad in a non reflective material where as the min visuals show that southern facade with a uniform reflective result. Which outcome should we expect? Fingers crossed the full reflective option!
The early designs had a solid south facade so I could project a massive game of tetris on the back. I've been assured that we can still project 80's/90's video games so long as the glass is treated correctly. Vertical games like 1942, tetris and space invaders will work best.

The submitted plans are uniform reflective.
If you said that the facade would allow punters to play a giant game of Double Dragon or Golden Axe, I would have been stoked :lol: 1942 was such an all time game... I'm showing my age now!

It's great how engaging you've been on the detail of this incredible project to our group. It goes without saying how much it's appreciated by everyone!
Ha well wait to see what is planned for the observation deck at night and the conference facilities :-)
More than happy to chat/share what is going on. This thread is useful for me too, kind of a live blog without the "laptop in a starbucks" vibe.

In other news we spent half the day with the consulting team reviewing the feedback from the open consultation. Thanks to those of you on here who took a moment to make a submission in support.

There were two pretty detailed submissions from people out to cause trouble. One on heritage the other on traffic.
The heritage one was all pretty reasonable (well apart from the doom pics of towers on fire from inferior cladding). Most of their points are being addressed with the heritage management plan that commits us to restoration works within a set period.
They did have a serious issue with the proposed disability access on the front (we propose two ramps on each side of the building).
Picture5.png
We will give some thought to making them less impactful on the frontage (ie changing from brass to glass or a combination of the two) but we are going to die in a ditch over having two.
Picture5.png
I'm interested in the thoughts of you blokes (and ladies).
The reason we went with two rather than one is:
1) Symmetry - the Freemasons love symmetry they have lots of references and reflections on the importance of it (I don't know much more than that, I just know it's really important to them) and the building is already very symmetrical.
2) Respect for the disabled - I don't want disability access to look like an afterthought, sticking a thing on the side isn't just ugly, it's compromised and almost disrespectful. We've put the same amount of thought into the visiting experience for a wheelchair bound person as we have someone walking up the stairs.
3) Queuing.. dare I say it.. ramping large groups of people into the building - if there is a special event, school trip or large group it we would prefer that they can shift off the North Terrace path and into a dedicated space - if we think about it from a ramping perspective then you definitely need two because we need one to secure children (eg for a school trip) and another to remain open for disability access.

On the other one traffic:
It's not really about traffic, it's a bunch of apartment owners next door who want to kill us to keep their view. They know they won't win on the view so they tried to nit pick on something else.
It's a pretty good analysis, we know the person they got to write their sook is really good so we will go through and address their points.
We had some really detailed conversations with Adelaide city council because I was really keen on having a proper set down/drop off at the front on north terrace and did some traffic studies to figure out what the site could handle well before we decided on the size and use of the building.
That early study was one of the main reasons there are no apartments - people driving their cars in and out of Synagogue place would be a pain. The design we have now is one way down and out, smooth and easy with minimal disruption to our neighbors.
Attachments
21-671_254 NORTH_Freemasons Grand Lodge_Heritage Impact Statement_2023.103.jpg

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#543 Post by Mpol02 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:29 am

Love this transparency mic well done!

The brown bronze finish of the ramps does look a little stark when compared to the rest of the facade (if indeed it will end up that light). The use of glass to soften it is great and will give it a sleek look, in my opinion.

Really hope these challenges won’t pose an issue overall and you can otherwise overcome fools being fools. This is so needed for Adelaide

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#544 Post by MicBara » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:36 am

thanks, you raise a good point. I will have to check if the colour of the building will be that light. I suspect not, it's probably about the same as it is now and the bronze would fit better.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#545 Post by floplo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am

What's the metal colour of the main front doors?
Currently they are fairly dominating, so having the ramps in the same colour might complement them.

Also, I loved the cafe in that basement under the front building (for the short time it was operating). Do you know what is planned for that space?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#546 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:51 am

Objections from the residents of the Crowne Plaza building were always gonna be a thing! Kinda sucks for them, but also construction of that came with the loss of some great venues and you can't just pause progress when it's convenient.

Commend you on the double ramps, great to see that access not just being an afterthought. Is there any reason to not build them out of a material similar to the existing building?

ChillyPhilly

#547 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 am

I'm interested in the thoughts of you blokes (and ladies).
The reason we went with two rather than one is:
1) Symmetry - the Freemasons love symmetry they have lots of references and reflections on the importance of it (I don't know much more than that, I just know it's really important to them) and the building is already very symmetrical.
2) Respect for the disabled - I don't want disability access to look like an afterthought, sticking a thing on the side isn't just ugly, it's compromised and almost disrespectful. We've put the same amount of thought into the visiting experience for a wheelchair bound person as we have someone walking up the stairs.
3) Queuing.. dare I say it.. ramping large groups of people into the building - if there is a special event, school trip or large group it we would prefer that they can shift off the North Terrace path and into a dedicated space - if we think about it from a ramping perspective then you definitely need two because we need one to secure children (eg for a school trip) and another to remain open for disability access.
I love all of this - surely there can be no opposition to the two ramps. Matching/being sympathetic with existing colours and materials would be the best way to enhance this, while still being visible for those who will use them. If there is any opposition to two ramps, it may be an idea to get a disability advocate to speak or write a submission in favour (I can think of a good one who I have a small connection with).
On the other one traffic:
It's not really about traffic, it's a bunch of apartment owners next door who want to kill us to keep their view. They know they won't win on the view so they tried to nit pick on something else.
It's a pretty good analysis, we know the person they got to write their sook is really good so we will go through and address their points.
We had some really detailed conversations with Adelaide city council because I was really keen on having a proper set down/drop off at the front on north terrace and did some traffic studies to figure out what the site could handle well before we decided on the size and use of the building.
That early study was one of the main reasons there are no apartments - people driving their cars in and out of Synagogue place would be a pain. The design we have now is one way down and out, smooth and easy with minimal disruption to our neighbors.
The challenges you have faced here are reflective of some outdated aspects of SA planning legislation: carparking minimums. This needs to be abolished.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#548 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:47 pm

Re: the ramps, is there any reason you've not included landscaping between the ramp and fenceline? A nice planting scheme, climber or hedge would go some way to softening the intervention and reducing ambient heat on North Tce.

In terms of symetary and material, not much fussed, but I do think bronze is probably a better material in terms of quality and the usual heritage expectation that additions be clearly differentiated.
Keep Adelaide Weird

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#549 Post by madelaide » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:44 pm

Hey, am I the only person that sees the ugly little carpark next door?

Would it be within budget to buy that, destroy it dramatically and replace it with a drive through drop off beach volleyball carpark museum bar and grill? I know the Unis were planning to build something there but they won’t ever, so why is this dirty little blemish on our cultural boulevard going to sit right next to the pinnacle of our community?

Just a thought, in case any body else noticed it there.

Algernon

#550 Post by Algernon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:06 pm

madelaide wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:44 pm
Hey, am I the only person that sees the ugly little carpark next door?

Would it be within budget to buy that, destroy it dramatically and replace it with a drive through drop off beach volleyball carpark museum bar and grill? I know the Unis were planning to build something there but they won’t ever, so why is this dirty little blemish on our cultural boulevard going to sit right next to the pinnacle of our community?

Just a thought, in case any body else noticed it there.
Adelaide Uni owns it. Long term plan is to replace it with a highrise building.

[Shuz]

#551 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:14 pm

I like the matching disability ramps. Accessibility is very important. Great work Mic!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#552 Post by MicBara » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:21 pm

Hey team,

Thanks for all the comments. Gold star to Mpol02 - excellent point about the fact that the building is slightly darker in real life, the contrast isn't as great.
_MG_9991-Edit.jpg
The renders at the moment are pretty low res - the plan is not for just straight-cut bronze - it will be either shaped to reflect the fluted design of the tower (connecting the front to the tall glass behind) or (more likely) borrow elements from the doors and buildings with small details and finishes.
The doors also have a bronze frame, which was vandalised in the past and is currently stored out of harm's way.

Floplo - the cafe wasn't successful unfortunately the foot traffic out the front was to low and hidden away. The plan for downstairs is not that exciting - storage and staff amenities.

ChillyPhilly - we engaged a disability movement consultant but not an advocate. Happy to talk to them. Regarding traffic - no issues with car parking (but lets face it, our planning still requires them because our public transport is woefully under planned.

SRW - re greenery - honestly, we didn't think about it there because we constantly walk up and down the street and we want the front to continue to match the look and feel of similar buildings on North Terrace. It's not a bad idea though.

Madelaide - carpark next door - yeah, Uni Adelaide owns it. I shouldn't really comment on someone else's property other than to say we like our neighbors, and they are good to work with.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#553 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:07 pm

MicBara wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:36 am
thanks, you raise a good point. I will have to check if the colour of the building will be that light. I suspect not, it's probably about the same as it is now and the bronze would fit better.
Hey Mic! Hows the progress going on the tower, are we getting approval from PlanSA soon?
Last edited by VinyTapestry849 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#554 Post by timtam20292 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:18 pm

:roll:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#555 Post by rev » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:28 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:07 pm
MicBara wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:36 am
Hey Mic! Hows the progress going on the tower, are we getting approval from PlanSA soon?

(To any snowflake about to complain and whinge that I bumped this thread, Mic does NOT give us updates in here without a prompt. Hes a busy man building a skyscraper, doesn't have time to tell us about progress, unless we ask )

https://sappa.plan.sa.gov.au
At this link, you can look up any parcel of land, and check to see if there's any applications lodged. At the top of that page where it says street map if you click on it and select the hybrid map it will show you a satellite image view with street names which will make it easier to navigate.

https://plan.sa.gov.au/development_appl ... 030263-DAP
This link is for this development in particular.
As you'll see, it's still under assessment, which is more then likely why MicBara hasn't posted anything further about the application process.
You can even download and view some documents from such links to give you a bit of an insight into the process.