[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
A-Town
High Rise Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#1021 Post by A-Town » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:37 am

It would be nice to see the old RAH east wing returned to the Botanic Gardens, which was originally proposed for the site.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1022 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:44 am

A-Town wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:37 am
It would be nice to see the old RAH east wing returned to the Botanic Gardens, which was originally proposed for the site.
Agreed - wouldn't be a bad outcome.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1023 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:48 pm

Best I can gather is that it's the first half of the 'Central Park' under construction.
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.35.33 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.14.38 pm.png
EIC was supposed to have also commenced, and would now seem to have no chance of a 2025 completion -- I wonder if the secured tenants might look elsewhere.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1024 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:05 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:48 pm
Best I can gather is that it's the first half of the 'Central Park' under construction.
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.35.33 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.14.38 pm.png

EIC was supposed to have also commenced, and would now seem to have no chance of a 2025 completion -- I wonder if the secured tenants might look elsewhere.
I'm curious to know how many tenants they've actually secured beyond the Commonwealth Bank and if that's what's causing the delay?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#1025 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:58 pm

Nice find SRW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1026 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:54 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:05 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:48 pm
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.35.33 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.14.38 pm.png

I'm curious to know how many tenants they've actually secured beyond the Commonwealth Bank and if that's what's causing the delay?
They also had Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud among others. The development actually has its own splashy website:
https://www.e-i-c.com.au

As to the delay? No idea. It is a very large building but it's government funded so it's not up against usual financial thresholds. But then again, perhaps there's been budgetary delays.

I should note, I'm not desperate to see this built. I think it detracts from development in the core CBD. It just bothers me that there's clearly money being spent here but for no discernible benefit.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ursus Maritimus
High Rise Poster!

#1027 Post by Ursus Maritimus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:02 pm

If we as a state can't afford the Aboriginal cultural centre, then I wouldn't mind the land being returned to parklands either. I'd rather that than some ugly, boring or generic building that doesn't accord with the significance of North Terrace to Adelaide (I think the proposed cultural centre is quite beautiful in a modern way).

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#1028 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:29 pm

From today. Some people working in the middle concrete section:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1029 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:35 pm

Bit of a crazy thought, but what if the site set aside for the innovation centre were to become a Contemporary Art Gallery instead, therefore satisfying all parties involved re: Tarrkarri moving ahead. At this stage, the surrounding area is not benefitting from the severe lack of activity and the innovation centre isn’t really a tried and tested model in Adelaide, and won’t necessarily expand upon the existing capabilities of what Lot 14 already has on offer. To avoid the taxpayer coping the bill for both a contemporary gallery and First Nation gallery, the contemporary gallery could be outsourced to a private investor as is done with MONA in Tassie, and have the administrative backing of AGSA (this would ensure it’s curation remains consistently relevant to the contemporary landscape). All this would further enhance North Terrace as the cultural boulevard of Adelaide.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#1030 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:46 am

I’m so confused what’s currently getting built here?

EBG

#1031 Post by EBG » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:04 pm

looks like landscaping only

Llessur2002

#1032 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:40 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:35 pm
Bit of a crazy thought, but what if the site set aside for the innovation centre were to become a Contemporary Art Gallery instead, therefore satisfying all parties involved re: Tarrkarri moving ahead. At this stage, the surrounding area is not benefitting from the severe lack of activity and the innovation centre isn’t really a tried and tested model in Adelaide, and won’t necessarily expand upon the existing capabilities of what Lot 14 already has on offer. To avoid the taxpayer coping the bill for both a contemporary gallery and First Nation gallery, the contemporary gallery could be outsourced to a private investor as is done with MONA in Tassie, and have the administrative backing of AGSA (this would ensure it’s curation remains consistently relevant to the contemporary landscape). All this would further enhance North Terrace as the cultural boulevard of Adelaide.
I also had a similar crazy thought - how about building a brand new art gallery on the proposed indigenous gallery site? It could be large enough to have distinct sections for traditional, contemporary and indigenous art - especially if it incorporated the innovation centre site too.

Then the existing Art Gallery building could be transferred to the Museum which could also be significantly expanded - including their collection of indigenous artefacts.

Obviously the problem is cost - if we aren't prepared to spend $600M on a new indigenous gallery then it's hard to see how a larger proposal of a similar type on the Lot 14 site could be justified but, just hypothetically, would there not be benefits to an all encompassing art gallery under the general umbrella and management of AGSA?

Patrick_27

#1033 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:06 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:40 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
I also had a similar crazy thought - how about building a brand new art gallery on the proposed indigenous gallery site? It could be large enough to have distinct sections for traditional, contemporary and indigenous art - especially if it incorporated the innovation centre site too.

Then the existing Art Gallery building could be transferred to the Museum which could also be significantly expanded - including their collection of indigenous artefacts.

Obviously the problem is cost - if we aren't prepared to spend $600M on a new indigenous gallery then it's hard to see how a larger proposal of a similar type on the Lot 14 site could be justified but, just hypothetically, would there not be benefits to an all encompassing art gallery under the general umbrella and management of AGSA?
When I worked at SAM, the biggest issue that was rather blatant at all pay grades was how average the relationships were between the cultural institutions were. The State Library were largely impartial to what was going on along that strip, but SAM and AGSA were at odds (well before the notion of this Lot 14 site came along). My take is that SAM were devoid of any public funding (both administrative and otherwise) and they relied heavily on their workforce either being provided by UoA/Department of Premier and Cabinet, and the few philanthropy projects they have on the go scrounging the remaining funds to retain their own workforce (but they have been bleeding money for years). Meanwhile because Art is popular, the state government obviously provide a lot more money to AGSA and their programming, this is on top of their highly lucrative bequest program (in FY21 they received a $31m bequest that was partially used for building restoration works). An idea once suggested by a senior staffer at SAM was if relationships were better amongst these institutions that a conjoined board (not committee which there already is one) representing the State Library, AGSA and SAM could form and all three buildings become linked both in terms of administration and resourcing, utilising the surrounding laneways for these institutions to display more collections and subsequently becoming a one of a kind cultural institution.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1034 Post by rev » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:49 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:06 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:40 am
Patrick_27 wrote:

When I worked at SAM, the biggest issue that was rather blatant at all pay grades was how average the relationships were between the cultural institutions were. The State Library were largely impartial to what was going on along that strip, but SAM and AGSA were at odds (well before the notion of this Lot 14 site came along). My take is that SAM were devoid of any public funding (both administrative and otherwise) and they relied heavily on their workforce either being provided by UoA/Department of Premier and Cabinet, and the few philanthropy projects they have on the go scrounging the remaining funds to retain their own workforce (but they have been bleeding money for years). Meanwhile because Art is popular, the state government obviously provide a lot more money to AGSA and their programming, this is on top of their highly lucrative bequest program (in FY21 they received a $31m bequest that was partially used for building restoration works). An idea once suggested by a senior staffer at SAM was if relationships were better amongst these institutions that a conjoined board (not committee which there already is one) representing the State Library, AGSA and SAM could form and all three buildings become linked both in terms of administration and resourcing, utilising the surrounding laneways for these institutions to display more collections and subsequently becoming a one of a kind cultural institution.
Maybe what's needed is an SA/Adelaide Arts & Cultural Authority that overseas the whole lot?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1035 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:24 pm