[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#886 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:29 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:47 pm
Pikey wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 pm
It's the single most striking development Adelaide has seen, in my opinion. I'm sure it will be globally recognised for most importantly the 65,000 years of stories and knowledge the centre will share, along with it's incredible design form. I can't wait to see this grow and its built form develop. It looks phenomenal!
I'd be very surprised if it's "globally" recognised tbh, but it will hopefully entice more interstate visitors to S.A
It's all a matter of how it's marketed beyond South Australia and then beyond Australia. Something I've noticed is how willing our state government has been over the years to invest in tourism marketing, the problem seems to exist somewhere in our state tourism commission and how the money is spent. The notion that Adelaide is a hard sell on a tourism front seems crazy when we're among the cheapest cities in Australia to visit. We also have the best of everything we have to offer, our wine regions are vaster and far superior to those interstate, our cultural precinct not only offers some of the largest collections on certain subjects but offers unique/niche collections as well. For instance, the SA Museum possessing and therefore displaying the largest Australian Indigenous artefact collection on the planet, as well as the largest opal collection on the planet; AGSA showcasing the largest Australian Colonial Art collection in Australia and the world, and the only Islamic Art Collection in Australia. The Mortlock Wing often listed in top ten lists in terms of where libraries meet architecture grandeur. We also have some of the best fresh produce available in our restaurants and for wholesale purchase, which then ties in the with Adelaide Central Market often regarded as the best providore market at this end of the globe. National Parks and epic stretches of coastline within 20 minutes drive of the CBD. Adelaide Oval, a cricket ground often said to be one of the finest in the world. The list goes on, these are all just the obvious choices for selling Adelaide to someone who's never been, and that's not even touching on regional South Australia.

So with regards to Tarrkarri, if it's marketed correctly then there is absolutely no reason for it to fall short of the anticipated visitor numbers upon opening. I've noticed some on Facebook trying to draw a comparison between this and the National Wine Centre but they're unfounded; the National Wine Centre, whilst it was certainly a valuable idea and something that should belong SA, it's location was irrelevant to the industry and in its current location probably should have been overseen by the Adelaide Botanic Garden from its inception rather than the lease arrangement with the UoA. The collection destined for Tarrkarri is so extensive that it couldn't possibly fail from a curation POV, the only thing they might struggle with is exhibiting collections obtained from outside of SA whilst it's not seen to be the 'National' centre for indigenous culture. Whilst I don't often find myself championing the ideas of the Marshall government, I think the silence from Labor on this project (and Lot 14 as a whole, in fact) is perhaps proof that the Libs put forward a more well thought out, relevant idea than Labor's own contemporary art gallery that likely wouldn't compete on a national scale with those already established elsewhere in Australia and would likely only serve our state and an expanded AGSA.

Algernon

#887 Post by Algernon » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:53 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:47 pm
Pikey wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 pm
It's the single most striking development Adelaide has seen, in my opinion. I'm sure it will be globally recognised for most importantly the 65,000 years of stories and knowledge the centre will share, along with it's incredible design form. I can't wait to see this grow and its built form develop. It looks phenomenal!
I'd be very surprised if it's "globally" recognised tbh, but it will hopefully entice more interstate visitors to S.A
It probably won't be globally recognised in terms of the name of the gallery, but I can say anecdotally in Europe there are some pockets of strong interest in our Aboriginal culture. Overseas visitors won't know of this place before they come, but they'll flock to it once they're in the city.

I'm in a bit of shock that they're actually building this. When I saw the design, I had the good old Adelaide boy reaction of "oh as if they'd build something as good as that". Pinching myself.

Nathan

#888 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:55 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:29 pm
than Labor's own contemporary art gallery that likely wouldn't compete on a national scale with those already established elsewhere in Australia and would likely only serve our state and an expanded AGSA.
It was never "Labor's". The contemporary gallery was driven by AGSA, with support from the then current government.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#889 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:37 pm

Update on progress from today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#890 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 pm

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#891 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Ah yes a circle, that is called "art" in 2022 :lol:

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#892 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:31 pm

Art is subjective, Jesus is a biscuit

[Shuz]

#893 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm

it's a bit instagrammable.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#894 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:35 pm

Why is there a giant cockring at Lot 14?

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#895 Post by NTRabbit » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:22 pm

Something for Illuminate next month maybe?

Algernon

#896 Post by Algernon » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:39 am

a bloody nipple ring is what it is

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#897 Post by AndyWelsh » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 am

I found out this is a public artwork by Sundari Carmody, an Australian artist. The sculpture is called One: all that we can see. It’s carbon steel rolled pipe with a LED light.

Here’s a concept of what it will look like at night:

Here’s some info that explains more about it:

“The ratio between the dark and light areas of the sculpture is based on the hypothesis that dark matter and dark energy make up 95% of the universe, leaving only 5% of ‘normal matter’ visible. The illuminated section of the circle represents everyone and everything we can see, every atom, cell, rock, planet and galaxy in the universe. The dark section is a placeholder, a way of referencing everything that remains a mystery. It is an acknowledgement of the gaps in our knowledge and our blind spots. It provides a space that we can enter, to speculate
and imagine and test our knowledge against. It is a place of pure potential and opportunity, for new meaning, new ways of thinking and being in and with each other and the universe.”

I’d imagine this is a permanent addition to Lot Fourteen and North Terrace.

Algernon

#898 Post by Algernon » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:22 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 am
“The ratio between the dark and light areas of the sculpture is based on the hypothesis that dark matter and dark energy make up 95% of the universe, leaving only 5% of ‘normal matter’ visible. The illuminated section of the circle represents everyone and everything we can see, every atom, cell, rock, planet and galaxy in the universe. The dark section is a placeholder, a way of referencing everything that remains a mystery. It is an acknowledgement of the gaps in our knowledge and our blind spots. It provides a space that we can enter, to speculate
and imagine and test our knowledge against. It is a place of pure potential and opportunity, for new meaning, new ways of thinking and being in and with each other and the universe.”
Most pretentious wank I've read all year

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#899 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:47 pm

As a creative I love this

Nathan

#900 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:25 pm

Upvote from me. I think it's a neat conceptual link to the space agency. And besides, it's not like it's a banana with a skull.