News & Discussion: Sustainable Development

All other development discussion.
Prince George
Legendary Member!

Sustainable Urban Growth Conference 2009

#16 Post by Prince George » Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 am

Is it just me, or did this event fly under our radar? Hmm, we kinda dropped the ball on this one.

In March last year, the SA chapter of the Property Council and the Land Management Corporation hosted the two day event "drawing together great minds from around the world to focus on renewing Adelaide as a sustainable city". You can find the presentation slides here, and some
video highlights here. I've only looked at a couple, but they were both interesting:

G. B. Arrington from Parsons Brinkerhoff Placemaking presented Making TOD real in South Australia - Learning from US best practice. Hefty focus on Portland, especially Orenco Station and the Pearl district (and as you know, the Queen and I heart the Pearl district), as the poster child for "grow up not out". Also an interesting section on Tyson's Corner in Virginia - the original nowhere-ville, featured in the book "Edge Cities". In 1960 it didn't exist, then they re-routed two interstates to intesect there. From nothing, office parks and a huge shopping mall sprang up; by 2000 it had a daytime population of 100,000, and only 20,000 residents. Now the local planners are trying to transform it from car-dependent sprawl into a pedestrianized, multi-use TOD. If they pull it off, it will be the urban development equivalent of Pinocchio turning into a real boy - I hope they've got Jimminy Cricket on the team.

Professor Jeffrey Kenworthy, Professor in Sustainable Cities, Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute, presented Reducing car dependency in Adelaide. A collection of data points showing where Adelaide is doing both better and worse than other cities (sadly, the worse somewhat outnumber the better). In particular, it makes a significant argument to treat our lack of freeways as "a feature not a bug", and capitalize on the opportunity to invest in transport alternatives.

All in all, some very cool stuff. But while the site says that "Many Conference outcomes will flow directly into State Government policy around housing densities, land use, integrated transport systems and centres planning", I'm not sure that I'm seeing that get represented in the actions happening around the city. For example, this conference happened well in advance of Minister Holloway giving his blessing to Buckland Park.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Sustainable Urban Growth Conference 2009

#17 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Speaking of Jimminy, Walt Disney was the grandfather of TODs. His ideas for the original EPCOT were very interesting. Low density with people movers that fed into medium density and high density in centre, with mass transit to industrial zones based on a similar model. (Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow, not the theme park that they named the same thing which had nothing to do with it)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Wed May 05, 2010 4:57 pm

This Sustainable Urban Growth Conference 2009 did slip under my radar, and i applaud the idea of bringing together great minds from around the world to focus on renewing Adelaide as a sustainable city.

Comparisons with Portland are valid, but there's still a BIG differences between the approach to TODs in Portland & Adelaide (apart from the fact ours mostly don't exist yet). Portland appears to have successfully created a team of politically independent Urban Design & Development Experts made up of 6 task forces, 3 oversight committees, Planning groups, a Core group, and several Focus area teams. They report back to the govt but are largely independent.

I remain hopeful that Adelaide *might* adopt a similar approach, but i'm weary. In fact i am fearful because Rann & Foley like their big hammer approach, and they certainly are keen to wield it often. The hammer will result in TODS, but will they be liveable & desirable? It may be a saving grace that neither will probably be around when the first TODs actually get started (5+ years time in reality). Last i spoke with Holloway (Nov 2009) he quoted 10-15years for the Bowden TOD.

The link in PGs last post "Making TODs real in South Australia - Learning from US best practice" highlights the key point - our learning must focus well beyond the govt getting excited, buying land, hiring a few architects, and some builders to erect the TODs. It's a case of our State Govt being willing to relinquish many elements of control to a non-political alliance who can exist across many govt terms to work through the myriad of options, pros and cons - and actually bring the TODs to life.

Fingers crossed everyone!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Prince George » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 pm

monotonehell wrote:Speaking of Jimminy, Walt Disney was the grandfather of TODs. His ideas for the original EPCOT were very interesting. Low density with people movers that fed into medium density and high density in centre, with mass transit to industrial zones based on a similar model. (Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow, not the theme park that they named the same thing which had nothing to do with it)
And Disney Corp are also responsible for the slightly creepy Celebration, Florida, although you could never mistake that for a TOD.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by jk1237 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 pm

thanks for doing this thread Prince George. Quite interesting

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by skyliner » Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Great read Prince! Strongly supports what most of us have been saying - esp. in the CBD - concerning carparks.

On the other hand, just read the tram ext thread and saw patronage of the extension is much greater than expected - the gov't needs to capitalise on this as far as possible and the cars out of the CBD.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Prince George wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Speaking of Jimminy, Walt Disney was the grandfather of TODs. His ideas for the original EPCOT were very interesting. Low density with people movers that fed into medium density and high density in centre, with mass transit to industrial zones based on a similar model. (Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow, not the theme park that they named the same thing which had nothing to do with it)
And Disney Corp are also responsible for the slightly creepy Celebration, Florida, although you could never mistake that for a TOD.
I NEVER mention Celebration, ugh. Although in its defence it does have some marvellous bike tracks through the surrounding swamp. But as far as a car dependant, isolated community with very little density, "ugh" is the non-word.

Just in case anyone's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9M3pKsrcc8

Aww uncky Walt, why'd ya have to smoke? ;-;
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.