COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: Proposed - Bay Junction re-development - Glenelg -$60million

#31 Post by pushbutton » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:58 pm

omada wrote:Glenelg is lame and it will always be lame, ever tried heading out to the bay for a night out? My god, very tragic.. it's like a shopping strip for retirees.. the only decent thing about Glenelg was the old Aladdin's Castle and the waterslides at Magic Mountain..
What's wrong with the waterslides at the Beachhouse? Aren't they very similar to the magic mountain ones, but newer and better?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:18 pm

From today's Advertiser:

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:04 am

wowzer!!!

alot bigger than I expected this would be.

surely and hopefully this developement will get the ball rolling in upgrading the rest of the shops physically and the standard of retailers which trade there.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:20 am

I'm looking forward to further modernisation projects of Jetty Road.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#35 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:01 am

this thing looks stupid

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by omada » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:41 am

It seems that I provoked quite a bit of support for Glenelg..

by ynotsfables on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:03 pm
It leaves Saint Kilda in Melbourne for dead in my opinion, It's more prestigious than both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts in Queensland. It's got so much potential. Sure i can undrstand if that lifestyle is not your cup of tea, but it's far from lame. :o
I'm sure it has potential, but theres no way it would beat St Kilda, the Pier is for jocks and bogans, there are no decent bars (Salt is shite). The Grand is, well come one people, who here really likes that place, it's scaly.. shopping wise, what are you going to buy, a frock?

I will admit however I haven't tried the new waterslides.. oh and I remember one other good thing about Jetty Road, The Jazz festival, do they still have that?

If I want to go out, I head for the CBD, plenty of cool little bars and pubs scattered all over the place (I only hope that with the increased residential development it doesn't force more places to close or restrict the entertainment (ala Austral, Exeter and probably many more)

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 pm

I like the look of that!!

Hope they put some wicked designers in there.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Cruise Control wrote:this thing looks stupid
Would you like to elaborate and tell us why you think this?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#39 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm

beamer85 wrote:

It looks wider and longer than it is tall.

And very bland and generic looking. no style, no flair

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:03 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
beamer85 wrote:

It looks wider and longer than it is tall.
Going by that argument Westfield Marion should be 300m tall. It's a shopping centre of course it will be longer than it is high.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:08 pm

I thought this was an office building?

But yes, marion sucks

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#42 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Oooh ja, just what Glenelg needs on that side of Jetty Rd. Should tie in beautifully with the heritage facade of the cinema.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:43 pm

omada wrote:It seems that I provoked quite a bit of support for Glenelg..

by ynotsfables on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:03 pm
It leaves Saint Kilda in Melbourne for dead in my opinion, It's more prestigious than both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts in Queensland. It's got so much potential. Sure i can undrstand if that lifestyle is not your cup of tea, but it's far from lame. :o
I'm sure it has potential, but theres no way it would beat St Kilda, the Pier is for jocks and bogans, there are no decent bars (Salt is shite). The Grand is, well come one people, who here really likes that place, it's scaly.. shopping wise, what are you going to buy, a frock?

I will admit however I haven't tried the new waterslides.. oh and I remember one other good thing about Jetty Road, The Jazz festival, do they still have that?

If I want to go out, I head for the CBD, plenty of cool little bars and pubs scattered all over the place (I only hope that with the increased residential development it doesn't force more places to close or restrict the entertainment (ala Austral, Exeter and probably many more)
Fair enough, however i think like everything else that will boom in SA Glenelg will further establish itself.That will come with greater population and niche markets for certain interest groups, where there may be certain demands in activities and recreational lifestyles.
Cheers. :)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 pm

From The Messenger:

New face for Bay Junction

Kym Morgan

25Sep07

A REDEVELOPED Bay Junction would be a key component of Holdfast Bay Council's plan to improve the entrance to its major tourism and shopping precinct.

Planned for the northern side of the entrance, 27 specialty shops, a fitness centre and 1500sqm of office space will replace the existing shopping centre.

Councillors who viewed the image earlier in the month gave it an initial thumbs up, voting to spend $20,000 working with developer Andrew Taplin and other stakeholders on planning improvements to the Jetty and Brighton roads corner. The council also will approach Telstra to discuss improving the appearance of its building on the southern side.

The Taplin development would be set 6m back from Brighton Rd to allow a feature or statue to be built in front of it the design of which is yet to be discussed.

The proposal is due to go before Holdfast Bay Council's Development Assessment Panel in mid-October.

Mr Taplin said, if approved, work on the development would begin next January and be completed midway through 2009.

``There's no question Jetty Rd needs a bold entry statement,'' he said.

``People regard it as an entry point to Glenelg as a whole.''

All existing shops in the Bay Junction shopping centre would be demolished with the exception of the Glenelg Cinema, which would remain unchanged but recieve screen and sound upgrades. Woolworths would be rebuilt.

Holdfast Bay Council's acting chief executive Charles Sheffield said the council was yet to approach Telstra but intended to propose decorating its building with art work.
``We would like to work with them to explore ways of improving the appearance of that building,'' he said.

Artist Ben van Zetten has already been approached to redecorate the building pending an agreement and Telstra spokesman Martin Forgan ``invited any discussion on the subject''.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:44 pm

I think i'm missing something here...

what has telstra got to do with this?