[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#661 Post by SRJ » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:57 pm
Why couldn't we have just bulldozed the old one and built a fantastic world-class venue instead of such a band-aid solution? It's an eyesore.
It is far from an eyesore. How can you even say that when it isn’t even finished yet? I think It will turn out to be great.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#662 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:52 pm

I can't really comment from a functionality perspective but I have no problem aesthetically with the plans that have been put forward. Unless it deviates significantly from the renders I 'm not sure how it could be considered an eyesore. It looks as though it will tie in with the Oval precinct quite nicely and certainly be a vast improvement on what was there before.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#663 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:07 pm

SRJ wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Why couldn't we have just bulldozed the old one and built a fantastic world-class venue instead of such a band-aid solution? It's an eyesore.
It is far from an eyesore. How can you even say that when it isn’t even finished yet? I think It will turn out to be great.
Perhaps an exaggeration from me, but honestly Labours option looked much better. Clean and modern.
1. Liberal option
2. Labour option
Attachments
memorial-drive-stage2-1.jpeg
QyFvn1j.png

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#664 Post by SRJ » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 pm

I actually like liberals option. It is more open and lets in more natural light. I hate when this forum is for a political agenda. It is politics, there is no good party. Let’s just enjoy what we get given from whatever party is in. I can Name ten crap things that both party has done.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#665 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:38 pm

SRJ wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:46 pm
I actually like liberals option. It is more open and lets in more natural light. I hate when this forum is for a political agenda. It is politics, there is no good party. Let’s just enjoy what we get given from whatever party is in. I can Name ten crap things that both party has done.
Its not the politics I'm getting at, I'm saying that there were much better options than putting a cheap roof over a tired old court and calling it a day. At least the funding that was going to be used for the memorial drive under the previous government can be put to better use into the river bank arena.

JCK98
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#666 Post by JCK98 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:13 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:07 pm
SRJ wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Perhaps an exaggeration from me, but honestly Labours option looked much better. Clean and modern.
1. Liberal option
2. Labour option
Yeah, option 2 wasn't Labor's option, if anything it was the federal liberals "vision" to go with the $10m to do stage 1 of the redevelopment and the state Libs ended up delivering option 2, which is a fair criticism. At the time Labor was questioning the cost suggesting it'd cost a lot more.
Premier Jay Weatherill said the plans are exciting but he is skeptical of the $150 million pricetag.

“We saw with interest the plans that were unveiled in today’s paper,” Mr Weatherill said.

“They are exciting plans. We think they are a bit underdone in terms of price. We think that the pricetag for such a redevelopment would be many hundreds of millions of dollars, not the $150 million that’s been suggested.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... f76797285e

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#667 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:14 am

Much like the modern art museum, option 2 wasn't a Labor plan, it was a plan made by the relevant body (AGSA, Tennis SA) that just happened to occur while Labor held government.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#668 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:58 am

Labour committed to building option 2, rather then the band-aid solution.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#669 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:03 am

Since the redevelopment we've seen:

- The Adelaide International in 2020 that effectively replaced the Sydney International
- A Day at the Drive, where some of the worlds top players quarantined in Adelaide before playing an exhibition series
- The WTA Adelaide International, which while played after the Australian Open, was one of the very few Australian tennis tournaments played outside of Melbourne in 2021
- Multiple events coming up in 2022

People can bag the redevelopment all they want, but the redevelopment has been very good for tennis in South Australia.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#670 Post by rhino » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:03 am

- The Adelaide International in 2020 that effectively replaced the Sydney International
- A Day at the Drive, where some of the worlds top players quarantined in Adelaide before playing an exhibition series
- The WTA Adelaide International, which while played after the Australian Open, was one of the very few Australian tennis tournaments played outside of Melbourne in 2021

People can bag the redevelopment all they want, but the redevelopment has been very good for tennis in South Australia.
Thank you.

Could it have been done better? Probably, yes.
Is it achieving the required outcomes for Tennis Australia? Seems to be.
Is it a better stadium, achieving more that what it has replaced? Yes.

Remember that anything we build, anywhere, any time, could be done better. That does not necessarily equate to value for money though.
cheers,
Rhino

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#671 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm

rhino wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 am
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:03 am

Thank you.

Could it have been done better? Probably, yes.
Is it achieving the required outcomes for Tennis Australia? Seems to be.
Is it a better stadium, achieving more that what it has replaced? Yes.

Remember that anything we build, anywhere, any time, could be done better. That does not necessarily equate to value for money though.
Lets not forget that prior to the redevelopment the only legitimate tennis event we hosted since we lost the original Adelaide International in 2008 (I'm not including the hit and giggle WTC) was a single Davis Cup tie in 2019 (which was used to announce the redevelopment).

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

#672 Post by Stryker » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:37 pm

I for one are looking forward to the upcoming tournaments next month and have been to going to the tennis for the last couple of years (2019/2020) including the before mentioned Davis Cup tie. I went to the evening sessions each time and from what I could tell the atmosphere was great in the stands and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves including the players (I was lucky enough to see Nadal and Barty play). I can't wait to see the new stands (been following the build throughout the footy season) and hope there's eventually a stage 3 to build a stand on the western side and rebuild the southern stand. I'm also glad that Cox Architecture are designing the new stands because from what I can see, I think Memorial Drive will blend in quite well with Adelaide Oval.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#673 Post by rev » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:14 am

Perhaps now that they've stripped China of women's events Adelaide can pitch for a bigger event.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#674 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:16 pm

From today:

Some people also seemed to be working on top of this roof too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#675 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:06 am

Just looking at the proposed development compared to the progress made, I’m not sure stage 2 will be finished in time for the Adelaide International starting January 2nd. The new curved glazed addition facing Telstra Plaza looks miles off. Have I missed an update about this or is it still doable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk