[CAN] 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Smithy84
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN] Re: 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

#91 Post by Smithy84 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:24 pm
Eh... Renders be renders, the consistency of a render to final product is so hit and miss in Adelaide that if this thing actually gets off the ground it probably won't look anything like what we're seeing here. Adelaidean for instance looks incredibly subpar to its render, the glazing on Sofitel looks darker than that in the original render; Realm is probably the only build that came out looking like what was promised.
Really quite impressive that you manage to find a negative take on literally everything :cheers: :cheers:

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by PeFe » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 pm

I thought Patrick_27's comments about render-to-reality with Adelaide CBD construction was pretty accurate.

There is definitely an issue in Adelaide with construction builds, materials, cheapened plans etc

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:50 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:24 pm
Eh... Renders be renders, the consistency of a render to final product is so hit and miss in Adelaide that if this thing actually gets off the ground it probably won't look anything like what we're seeing here. Adelaidean for instance looks incredibly subpar to its render, the glazing on Sofitel looks darker than that in the original render; Realm is probably the only build that came out looking like what was promised.
Adelaidean was subpar in it's render, hopefully it will lose it's title as tallest building soon.
Edward wrote:Following on from Ben’s comment regarding amendments to PANS-OPS, I have copied the relevant section from page 10-11 in the SCAP Agenda. It certainly sounds like it’s a done deal, and changes would come into effect December this year!
This sounds very promising!. If a 100m+ building could be approved in this location, imagine what could be built in the central CBD or East End.

Algernon

#94 Post by Algernon » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 am

If this project can get up, it will be a welcome boost for the area. West Terrace has been neglected for a long time (as a matter of policy really). It's like an 8 lane highway, hardly a boulevard. Unfortunately while a development can spurr further improvements by adding a local population to boost the subsequet business case, there's not really much here for the early adopters. Like it or not, doctors and nurses like living near the beach like everybody else. And if this was really a realistic offering for that market, my question would be why the East End with all its existing amenity wasn't flooded with apartments for those buyers when there was a hospital there for 150 years. I have my doubts, but on the other hand, it's a welcome sign to see a developer having so much confidence and going all in like this. The agents have their work cut out in selling the building but not the area.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#95 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:19 am

This is great I truly hope it happens. The impact it’ll have coming into the CBD. Yes yes yes

floplo
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] [PRO] Re: 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

#96 Post by floplo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:14 pm

A little NIMBY in me has to say "No, you are building into my view...", but practically it might even make my outlook more interesting. Will be interesting to see this one go up.

Algernon wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 am
If this project can get up, it will be a welcome boost for the area. West Terrace has been neglected for a long time (as a matter of policy really). It's like an 8 lane highway, hardly a boulevard. Unfortunately while a development can spurr further improvements by adding a local population to boost the subsequet business case, there's not really much here for the early adopters. Like it or not, doctors and nurses like living near the beach like everybody else. And if this was really a realistic offering for that market, my question would be why the East End with all its existing amenity wasn't flooded with apartments for those buyers when there was a hospital there for 150 years. I have my doubts, but on the other hand, it's a welcome sign to see a developer having so much confidence and going all in like this. The agents have their work cut out in selling the building but not the area.
It seems that close to half of the project is going to be serviced apartments, which might reduce the pressure on residential sales. Location practically ensures that at least half of the apartments will not get anything built into the view (like happened to the Adelaidean & Realm), which will also help. And tramstop in front of it makes most of the CBD work / entertainment locations very easily reachable.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#97 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Article on the Advertiser website.
City towers could change flight path
Two towers proposed for the corner of North and West Terraces could alter the flight path of nearby planes. The fate of the buildings will be decided this week.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... de=premium
Anyway with a subscription able to please post the article :)

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by Alyx » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:16 pm

crawf wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:53 pm
Article on the Advertiser website.
City towers could change flight path
Two towers proposed for the corner of North and West Terraces could alter the flight path of nearby planes. The fate of the buildings will be decided this week.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... de=premium
Anyway with a subscription able to please post the article :)
The Advertiser wrote:Aircraft approaching Adelaide Airport in poor weather could be forced to fly higher to avoid two apartment towers proposed for a busy city site.

Developers are seeking renewed permission to build the 32-storey towers on the site of the heritage-listed Newmarket Hotel on the corner of North and West terraces.

The State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) will decide on Wednesday whether to approve the $72m project, which will include demolition of heritage-listed stables and a side wing attached to the hotel.

Restoration of the 138-year-old building will become a key part of a controversial development which has been the subject of a successful Supreme Court challenge by a neighbouring property owner and protests by heritage groups.

Property company One North Terrace is proposing to repair damage caused by vandals to the three-storey hotel’s interior, including a vintage staircase, so it can be become part of a new entrance lobby with a bar, restaurant and cafe.

The complex will be connected to a six-level podium with 6800sq m of office space and two 107m-high towers containing 352 serviced and residential apartments and three-level basement parking.

The towers, if approved, will be 64m higher than those allowed under existing zoning.

The proposed height has required consultation with the federal aviation authority, Airservices Australia, over the potential impact on pilots using instruments or visual sighting to land aircraft at Adelaide International Airport.

In a report prepared for SCAP supporting the project, government planners said One North Terrace had “proposed amendments to Adelaide Airport’s operational procedures to alter the characteristics of protected airspace to accommodate the height of the proposed building”.

“Procedural changes of this nature have not been proposed before,” the report said.

“However, information conveyed via Airservices Australia provides a high degree of confidence that the required approved pathway under federal legislation is legitimate and achievable.”

The report said consultants had recommended changing “minimum descent altitudes for aircraft operating on instrumentation only (in poor visibility) on approach to Runway 23 from the northeast” by 21.3m or 70 feet.

“(This) would effectively remove the proposed building and its temporary crane operation (during construction) from the airport’s final vertical approach such that they would no longer constitute potential obstacles in a descending aircraft’s flight path,” it said.

Airservices Australia had concluded the flight path change “would not result in adverse effects on the safety or efficiency of Adelaide Airport’s aircraft operations”.

[Shuz]

#99 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 pm

Curious to know if the PANSOPS increase of 21.3m is a universal increase across all flight zones, or just to this particular zone?

The Masonic Lodge proposal likely hasn't factored in the change to flight paths as a result of this development and thus could go up to 181m.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#100 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:02 pm

And right there in this article is my reason for being somewhat skeptical of the quality of the final product... $72m price tag for two 108m buildings.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: [PRO] Re: 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

#101 Post by citywatcher » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:And right there in this article is my reason for being somewhat skeptical of the quality of the final product... $72m price tag for two 108m buildings.
Not to mention the people behind it

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#102 Post by HiTouch » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:09 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:02 pm
And right there in this article is my reason for being somewhat skeptical of the quality of the final product... $72m price tag for two 108m buildings.
Definitely possible. They scaled down the elevators to very long ropes. The windows are made of see-through plastic and all concrete is borrowed from Tony's housing affordable developments down the road.

Algernon

#103 Post by Algernon » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:54 am

Nobody goes to Cox Architecture if they intend to build cheap and nasty crap...

Don't look too much into the 72 million figure. It's not all that clear what it's actually quoting.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#104 Post by rev » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
There's good odds it'll turn out cheap looking.
Advertiser price tag aside, its a prime location and entry to the city. If anything actually gets built this time. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another 2 or 3 proposals in the coming years before an unimaginative stumpy square box is built.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: [PRO] Re: 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

#105 Post by citywatcher » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 am

rev wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
There's good odds it'll turn out cheap looking.
Advertiser price tag aside, its a prime location and entry to the city. If anything actually gets built this time. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another 2 or 3 proposals in the coming years before an unimaginative stumpy square box is built.
Probably closer to the mark
Only an overseas consortium will build anything of AAA quality here

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk