[CAN] 207 Pulteney Street | 180m | 55 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: 207 Pulteney Street | 180m | 55 Levels | Mixed Use

#346 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Algernon wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:02 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:44 pm
Hold everything. That is one sexy sign
green things for illustrative purpose only. consult you doctor to see if Dominator is right for you
I'll take your entire stock

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#347 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:20 pm

INDAILY this Afternoon - 5hrs ago

Adelaide’s new tallest building set to dominate skyline
NEWS

The state’s planning panel has been recommended to approve a 55-level, 180-metre-tall mixed-use tower in the CBD which would eclipse Adelaide’s current tallest building by nearly 20 storeys and “significantly alter” the city’s skyline.

Future Urban, on behalf of Sydney developer JWDT Land Unit Trust, is seeking planning consent to build a 55-level mixed used development, comprising 330 residential apartments, 160 tourist accommodation rooms and three restaurants, in a car park at the intersection of Pulteney and Flinders Steet.

The mammoth development, known as the “SA1 Tower” at 207-209 Pulteney Street, would eclipse Adelaide’s current tallest building – The Crowne Plaza on Frome Street – by 18 levels or 42 metres.

The SA1 Tower has no provision for affordable housing. The developer is planning to put car parking on levels 1 to 9, hotel rooms on levels 13 to 20, apartments on levels 22 to 50 and penthouses on levels 51 to 53.

Level 54-55 would consist of a “rooftop plant, services enclosures and lift overruns”. A “sky lounge” is also planned for level 11 of the tower.

The slated location for the SA1 Tower at the intersection of Flinders and Pulteney Street. The red-brick office building behind the car park is slated for demolition. Photo: Jason Katsaras/InDaily

Government planning officer Ben Scholes has recommended the State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) grant the project planning consent, finding the proposed tower is “not seriously at variance with the provisions of the Planning and Design Code”.

“While the development would be likely to significantly alter the built form profile of the Adelaide city skyline, the CBD has evolved in recent years through the proliferation of tower developments which are not concentrated in the city’s traditional core or its primary pedestrian area,” Scholes wrote.

“The intensity of the proposed land use mix (particularly regarding expected servicing and waste collection requirements) is considered significant in the context and history of Adelaide’s CBD.

“However the applicant has demonstrated the development would be capable of functioning within an operational period considered to be reasonable within a capital city.”

The project is due to be assessed by the SCAP next Wednesday.

The SA1 Tower would be located across from the local heritage listed St Paul’s Church on Pulteney Street.

The project will require the demolition of a three-storey office building located behind the Pulteney Street car park.

Scholes said the developer had initially sought to construct a 67-level building mixed-use development “referred to as ‘Dominator 1’ which would reach 227 metres above ground level”.

The height was subsequently amended down to 55-levels following meetings between the developer, the Adelaide City Council and the Planning Department.

The revised plans have received conditional support from the council, Environmental Protection Agency, Government Architect and Adelaide Airport.

The Adelaide Airport was asked to comment on the project because it exceeds 130 metres in height.

“Despite the proposed encroachment into protected airspace, Commonwealth airspace authorities have conditionally approved the height of the proposed building,” Scholes wrote.

Government Architect Kirsteen MacKay submitted to the SCAP that the project “has the potential to change the epicentre of the tallest buildings in Adelaide”.

But she indicated her support for the project in November, “contingent on the project team’s continued commitment to high quality outcomes through the next stage of design development and project delivery”.

The 180 metre SA1 Tower would also eclipse Westpac House – which long held the title of Adelaide’s tallest building – by 48 metres.

The next highest building on Flinders Street is the 75-metre tall One Adelaide apartment building, located around 400 metres east to the proposed SA1 development.

Scholes said while the building significantly exceeds Adelaide’s current tallest building, there was little policy guidance on “what would constitute a desirable overarching city form”.

“At 55 levels or roughly 180 metres above ground, the proposal would significantly exceed the height of the tallest development in Adelaide’s CBD (Crown Plaza Adelaide, at 37 levels and 138 metres above ground) by 18 levels or 42 metres,” Scholes wrote.

“In the absence of dedicated policy guidance recommending what would constitute a desirable overarching city form, assessment of the proposed building height in this location should have regard to the advice provided by referral agencies and an evaluation against the Code’s relevant performance outcomes.”

“Overall the proposal is considered to respond appropriately to the relevant objectives and policy outcomes of the Planning and Design Code,” Scholes said.

“The development is unlikely to result in unacceptable impacts given the broad intent of the Code’s Capital City Zone policy.”

Future Urban is also consulting on the 32-storey towers which are set to soar above the heritage-listed Newmarket Hotel on the corner of North and West Terrace, along with other high profile CBD developments such as the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Pirie Street, the Southern Cross Arcade and the 16-storey tower behind the King’s Head Hotel.
Attachments
FcBPe8IaMAgx8lm.jpg
sa1.png
sa12.png

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#348 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:54 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:43 pm
I've just gone onto google maps and had a look at street level view, looking up at an 180m tower in melbourne

Its significantly more impressive then the Adelaidean, let me tell you. I suggest doing it too if you want to get an idea of the scale of our city's new second tallest!
It corresponds very well to the dimensions of the EQ West tower in Perth. Certainly the heights are exactly the same.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#349 Post by phenom » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:37 pm

I don't mind it, the 'cut outs' are pretty different from 'standard Adelaide tower' in a good way, it sets the baseline for the inevitable new talls which due to airport heights will need to be in the same vicinity and it clearly defines where the 'real city' starts as you come in from the east. It definitely does look like 'Adelaidean done better' (which I'm very OK with). Really hope it ends up getting all approvals and then moves to construction. Adelaide's first 'skyscraper' by the generally accepted 150m high demarcation. SA1 would have seemed like a dream or flight of fancy barely a decade ago!

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#350 Post by HiTouch » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:27 pm

The skyline will look nice cumming down the SEXY hill

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#351 Post by Plasmatron » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Finally revealed! Looks pretty slick. Further revisions coming I'd imagine. Nothing too amazing, but I'm more excited about the height than the design.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#352 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:59 am

Some very absurd and amusing comments about this building on InDaily: https://indaily.com.au/opinion/reader-c ... -and-more/

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#353 Post by Jaymz » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:45 pm

I would really like to write something glowing for this one, but I think we've had the luxury of being a bit more critical of developments in this forum for the past 5 years. If this was 10 years go then we would've all been saying "you're on drugs if you think this is gonna happen" or the likes.

While it's a pretty stock-standard design, I really hope this one gets off the ground. I feel that much of the problem with Adelaide for several decades has been that we don't believe a development like this can actually happen in our fair city. I mean, our economic and population growth is still trending below the national average, but this type of development will do wonders to the confidence of our state, which interstate and overseas developers are obviously picking up on.

The true test is if we can get a skyscraper off the ground that is completely made up of office space. Just my :2cents:

Algernon

#354 Post by Algernon » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:01 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:45 pm
I would really like to write something glowing for this one, but I think we've had the luxury of being a bit more critical of developments in this forum for the past 5 years. If this was 10 years go then we would've all been saying "you're on drugs if you think this is gonna happen" or the likes.

While it's a pretty stock-standard design, I really hope this one gets off the ground. I feel that much of the problem with Adelaide for several decades has been that we don't believe a development like this can actually happen in our fair city. I mean, our economic and population growth is still trending below the national average, but this type of development will do wonders to the confidence of our state, which interstate and overseas developers are obviously picking up on.

The true test is if we can get a skyscraper off the ground that is completely made up of office space. Just my :2cents:
It's a pretty high bar you're setting because office scrapers are actually pretty hard to get off the ground. The type of tenant you need to pre-commit is also the same type that's moving away from slender towers to ground scrapers. Take Melbourne for example. It has experienced a massive building boom, but the taller towers are almost exclusively residential. Meanwhile, companies like ANZ and NAB partially moved to groundscrapers in Docklands. We're talking about a bonafide huge city now... on track for 6 million by 2030. And the tallest commercial towers approved... 49 storeys and then 40. The tallest ever built... 63 and 52.

Unless the city has a homegrown large corporation with a continuing interest in remaining in the city, it's going to be very hard to get anything of scale built in Adelaide. Perth has been able to get a few big ones up for companies like Woodside because they have an interest in remaining there and they're big enough in their own right to demand a large tower of space.

I think the only real opportunity for Adelaide is to consolidate the state government departments into a single building and sell off the portfolio of tired buildings around the centre. Queensland's state government actually did this and built one of the tallest recent office developments in the country - 1 William St (leased by QLD government, funded by CBUS).

More info: https://brisbanedevelopment.com/look-in ... am-street/

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#355 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 pm

Algernon wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:01 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:45 pm

It's a pretty high bar you're setting because office scrapers are actually pretty hard to get off the ground. The type of tenant you need to pre-commit is also the same type that's moving away from slender towers to ground scrapers. Take Melbourne for example. It has experienced a massive building boom, but the taller towers are almost exclusively residential. Meanwhile, companies like ANZ and NAB partially moved to groundscrapers in Docklands. We're talking about a bonafide huge city now... on track for 6 million by 2030. And the tallest commercial towers approved... 49 storeys and then 40. The tallest ever built... 63 and 52.

Unless the city has a homegrown large corporation with a continuing interest in remaining in the city, it's going to be very hard to get anything of scale built in Adelaide. Perth has been able to get a few big ones up for companies like Woodside because they have an interest in remaining there and they're big enough in their own right to demand a large tower of space.

I think the only real opportunity for Adelaide is to consolidate the state government departments into a single building and sell off the portfolio of tired buildings around the centre. Queensland's state government actually did this and built one of the tallest recent office developments in the country - 1 William St (leased by QLD government, funded by CBUS).

More info: https://brisbanedevelopment.com/look-in ... am-street/
Peregrine Corporation is the seventh biggest company in the country (bigger the woodside by a country mile), with annual net profits of 2b> And they're having discussions on what to do for their new headquarters, since their old plan failed. Based in South Australia. Stay tuned for any news.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#356 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:02 pm

What was their old plan?

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#357 Post by Cryptic » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:06 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:02 pm
What was their old plan?
7 story HQ in Kensington with a helipad.
3d1fc0876d2a241dc494e09dc1db3184.jpg

arki
High Rise Poster!

#358 Post by arki » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:21 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 pm
Peregrine Corporation is the seventh biggest company in the country (bigger the woodside by a country mile)
Lol what? Maybe 7th largest privately owned company by revenue but no where near the top listed.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#359 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:35 pm

arki wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:21 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Peregrine Corporation is the seventh biggest company in the country (bigger the woodside by a country mile)
Lol what? Maybe 7th largest privately owned company by revenue but no where near the top listed.
Its not about the size, its about how they might put forward a proposal for a tower in the city some day, of a large proportion. We've gotten a bit off topic, lets get back on it shall we.

Patrick_27

#360 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:41 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:35 pm
arki wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:21 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Its not about the size, its about how they might put forward a proposal for a tower in the city some day, of a large proportion. We've gotten a bit off topic, lets get back on it shall we.
Peregrine will never required a tower sized building, even if their operations expand interstate. Petrol retailing doesn’t require a large head office footprint. Look at Agostino Group, owners of AM/PM service stations, they occupy half a floor at the top of the Calvary Hospital car park on Angas Street, tiny footprint. Owners of Mobil/X Convenience have a tiny two story office premises on Henley Beach Road.

Mining, government and banking/finance are your best bet at big office footprints in a CBD, and most of the mining HQs are in Perth, government is all over the CBD and banking/finance run the bulk of their operations out of Melbourne and Sydney with exception to Bendigo/Adelaide.