[VIS] 185 Victoria Square | ~112m | 31 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Re: 185 Victoria Square | 110m | 30 Levels | Mixed Use

#16 Post by thecityguy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Wow, what a location, nice design and a view of vic square that can never be taken away! Sounds like a winner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Absolutely fantastic design response given site constraints. Love the integration between old and new. Those apartments will sell like hotcakes.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Interesting I've seen this render many years ago (or a proposal similar to it). I'll see if I can dig something up.

ghs

#19 Post by ghs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Work has begun on the UCity skyscraper on the site of the old Maughan Church.
It's a bit disappointing to think that a 19 level building in Adelaide is considered a Skyscraper lol.

200 levels is a skyscraper !!!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#20 Post by rev » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:13 pm

ghs wrote:
It's a bit disappointing to think that a 19 level building in Adelaide is considered a Skyscraper lol.

Here's a link back to where you belong..

http://www.adelaide-parklands.asn.au/

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Fantastic addition to the city. I've been looking through skyscrapercity, and there's a big lack of photos of Adelaide because we can't match the density, height or rate of change of the other capital cities. If this goes up and all our 100m+ approved ones then I'm confident people will start noticing. The city has the potential to become one of the best looking in Australia. Imagine the view from the hills with the sunset glinting off these new buildings.
rev wrote:
ghs wrote:

Here's a link back to where you belong..

http://www.adelaide-parklands.asn.au/
Acutally ghs is right. 200m (which I think he means) is more or less the skyscraper mark. We don't have any here and that's okay. At the moment Adelaide's style suits a wide sprawl of mid sized buildings peppered with talls at the 150m mark. That doesn't mean I don't want to see skyscrapers here.

Algernon

#22 Post by Algernon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:53 pm

slenderman wrote:Interesting how it sits on top of the MLC building. We've seen that sort of thing with lowrises, but not highrises. Getting the air space over the building is a good idea, as it prevents a blank wall overlooking heritage that won't be demolished, and it's also a clever way to keep filling in the square, and the rooftop terrace on the MCL building sounds like another good idea.

I also want to see more renders. I'm a tiny bit concerned that it may not integrate too well with the MLC building, but it looks fairly good from that picture, and I'm happy to reserve judgement.

Also, the article talks about the lower floors being retail and mixed-use? Does that mean offices? How's our vacancy rate looking at the moment if that's the case? Could that impact this going ahead.
The existing MLC building has floor heights at most 3.3m which doesn't make the grade for modern office space. The floor plates aren't especially large either. Also the nature of the construction would preclude much internal modification to the curtain wall. I'd think that besides the view of the square it doesn't have much to sell as offices. In this case though it's a moot point because it's a strata with existing owners.

The integration of the tower seems fine to me. Including plant and ground I count 31 levels.

They're onto a winner with the apartments.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Here's a render for a development on the same site in 2007.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I love this!

Franklin Street is becoming quite a prominent CBD street these days. A far cry from last decade.

Here is a pic of the current building (not my pic)

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#25 Post by Cryptic » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:19 pm

Capbld
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#26 Post by Capbld » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:21 pm

A $170m high-rise hotel built from timber would tower above Victoria Square under an ambitious plan to transform a heritage site in the city.

Local group Thrive Construct is behind the proposed 31-storey structure, which would be built next to and on top of the former MLC building on the corner of the square and Franklin St.

It would include 324 hotel rooms and 22 apartments, a roof-top bar and a “Sky Terrace” on the 12th floor with views across the square.

Thrive Construct executive chairman Barrie Harrop said the hotel would be built using cross laminated timber (CLT) – a sustainable timber product that’s 25 per cent of the weight of traditional steel and concrete materials.

“Upon completion, the Victoria Square site will be the tallest hotel in the world manufactured from cross laminated timber,” he said.

“We have worked with Cox Architects to develop a structure which is completely carbon neutral and constructed from renewable plantation pine and green steel – all supplied from Australian industry.”

Thrive’s plans come five years after a different group of investors pitched a similar design for the site, but one that comprised of apartments rather than a hotel. It failed to get off the ground.

Mr Harrop believes the city is in need of more hotel accommodation, and says five international hotel groups have already shown interest in operating the proposed complex.

“From the five, Thrive Construct have a preferred hotelier with a brand which matches their millennial target market,” he said.

The former MLC building, also known as Beacon House, has a State Heritage listing, and is described as “Adelaide’s first post-war skyscraper”.

Thrive’s plans would involve the pre-fabrication of CLT panels off-site, and later assembly at the Franklin St site.

Developed in Austria in the 1990s, CLT is manufactured by gluing together layers of timber, with the grain patterns alternating to provide the same strength as pre-cast concrete panels.

The construction material is commonly used for structures built on softer ground, and for vertical extensions on top of existing buildings.

It was used on the Adelaide Oval Hotel project, while several high-rise CLT projects are currently being planned across the country.

Wider use of CLT is being led by a push for greater sustainability, as well as the safety and efficiency benefits it provides.

Thrive has entered a development agreement with the 11 owners of the Franklin St site, and expects to commence construction early next year.

The group is also behind a proposal to build a new $138m hotel at the Whyalla Foreshore Motor Inn site.

Construction on that project had been expected to start last year, but has been delayed and is now expected to commence towards the end of this year.
Attachments
8e0ae58ff08ec896518bae0f7e20d55d.jpg

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

[VIS] Re: 185 Victoria Square | ~112m | 31 Levels | Hotel

#27 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:33 pm

Looks nice, hopefully it doesnt catch fire with all that wood.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by AG » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:11 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:33 pm
Pretty common misconception about mass timber in high-rise buildings. For the thickness of timber required in a building of this size, the timber behaviour would be surface charring rather than burning during a fire.

Algernon

#29 Post by Algernon » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:50 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:33 pm
Materials are rated to perform in a certain way under certain conditions. Provided it's correctly used and installed, there are no concerns here. There are a whooole lot of variables to determine the fire safety of a structure and it's assessed as a whole. If it gets the tick, build away.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Ben » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:02 pm

The Advertiser have used the original render from 2017. Hopefully the western wall is not solid.