[U/C] Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#346 Post by Uncle Monty » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:59 am

Hadn’t realised, but when riding on the greenway this morning, noticed that sections of this extension look mostly completed with track already laid.
Attachments
IMG_9947.jpeg
IMG_9946.jpeg

User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#347 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:32 pm

Strange that it's dual track?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#348 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:03 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:32 pm
Strange that it's dual track?
I assume second track is retained for NRM. Previous layout had multiple tracks past Aviation Museum.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm
Location: Inner West

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#349 Post by Saltwater » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Yes I received an email from NRM and they will run red hens from Port Dock station on event days, with regular trains continuing to run, which is a great outcome for the museum.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: Inner West

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#350 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:49 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:08 pm
Yes I received an email from NRM and they will run red hens from Port Dock station on event days, with regular trains continuing to run, which is a great outcome for the museum.
That's cool - I live close to the OH line and have enjoyed seeing the red hens in service when they have run in the past. Does the museum have any other functional trains which could feasibly be put into occasional service too, or is there something about the red hens which limits the special services to them?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:49 pm
Location: Adelaide

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#351 Post by Alyx » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:31 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:49 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:08 pm
Yes I received an email from NRM and they will run red hens from Port Dock station on event days, with regular trains continuing to run, which is a great outcome for the museum.
That's cool - I live close to the OH line and have enjoyed seeing the red hens in service when they have run in the past. Does the museum have any other functional trains which could feasibly be put into occasional service too, or is there something about the red hens which limits the special services to them?
The museum line will be a dead-end, completely isolated from the Adelaide Metro network.

Disappointingly, the impression I get from entrenched figures within the museum is that they are very much content with that being the case.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 985
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#352 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:50 am

Alyx wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:31 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:49 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:08 pm
Yes I received an email from NRM and they will run red hens from Port Dock station on event days, with regular trains continuing to run, which is a great outcome for the museum.
That's cool - I live close to the OH line and have enjoyed seeing the red hens in service when they have run in the past. Does the museum have any other functional trains which could feasibly be put into occasional service too, or is there something about the red hens which limits the special services to them?
The museum line will be a dead-end, completely isolated from the Adelaide Metro network.

Disappointingly, the impression I get from entrenched figures within the museum is that they are very much content with that being the case.
They used to run red hens to/from the City once a year or so in the early-mid 2010's, but some major issues were found when doing a safety check on the Red Hens in 2016 ruling out then running on the mainline in future. They were stuck at Dry Creek for ages as a result of what was found too from memory.

A shame as those trips were quite fun.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#353 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:54 am

Very busy two weeks with the Port Dock railway station project "full on". The replacement new coal bunker is finished and our coal has been transferred into it late today Tuesday 21 Nov. Also the clearing of the former Jacketts land and two sidings is basically completed, with major works now underway for the new island platform and two tracks.
https://www.facebook.com/NRMPortAdelaid ... ZZF89gZxGl
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

User avatar
Spotto
Legendary Member!
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#354 Post by Spotto » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:57 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:03 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:32 pm
Strange that it's dual track?
I assume second track is retained for NRM. Previous layout had multiple tracks past Aviation Museum.
From the plans, the second track is for a rail loop between the station and the junction on the main line. Essentially, rebuilding and slightly extending the loop that already exists.
IMG_3333.jpeg

User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Contact:

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#355 Post by baytram366 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:59 am

I've always been told that the new station would be an island platform with the metro trains on the non-museum side and the NRM trains on the other but that plan only shows one track into the platform....
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#356 Post by Eurostar » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:59 am
I've always been told that the new station would be an island platform with the metro trains on the non-museum side and the NRM trains on the other but that plan only shows one track into the platform....
One platform could become inadequate especially on busy event weekends such as History Festival in May and Transport Expo in October. Also Will the platform be long enough to fit a 6 car 3000 set and double 4000 emu set.

User avatar
Spotto
Legendary Member!
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#357 Post by Spotto » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:42 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:59 am
I've always been told that the new station would be an island platform with the metro trains on the non-museum side and the NRM trains on the other but that plan only shows one track into the platform....
The plan only shows the AdMet parts of the project. The NRM track might be getting done as a separate in-house project?

All of the concept art shows the island platform with the NRM track in place.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#358 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:33 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm
baytram366 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:59 am
I've always been told that the new station would be an island platform with the metro trains on the non-museum side and the NRM trains on the other but that plan only shows one track into the platform....
One platform could become inadequate especially on busy event weekends such as History Festival in May and Transport Expo in October. Also Will the platform be long enough to fit a 6 car 3000 set and double 4000 emu set.
The platform lengths from Adelaide to Port Adelaide are all 120 m (4 car sets). From the project website it looks as if the Port Dock platform also 120 m.

Although a single line would be adequate for a 20-30 frequency (as with the Flinders line), the retention of the passing loop on the Port Dock line indicates some thought towards a more intense service.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#359 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:55 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:42 pm
baytram366 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:59 am
I've always been told that the new station would be an island platform with the metro trains on the non-museum side and the NRM trains on the other but that plan only shows one track into the platform....
The plan only shows the AdMet parts of the project. The NRM track might be getting done as a separate in-house project?

All of the concept art shows the island platform with the NRM track in place.
By last weekend 3 tracks on concrete sleepers had been laid. The western track extends from the neck of the NRM yard (near N end of Aviation Museum) to N of Edith/Rosetta St. The other tracks (DTI) extend from beside Aviation Museum to S of Edith/Alice St. It looks as if the DTI track N of the loop will follow the line of the present access road for the Aviation Museum. A new access road has been established from Bedford Rd. In the NRM yard a set of points have been installed on new wooden sleepers for the connection to the NRM side of the new platform.

User avatar
Spotto
Legendary Member!
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#360 Post by Spotto » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:47 pm

On a related note, the conversion of the Rosewater Loop into a greenway has made no progress since its announcement early this year. Interestingly, the removal of rail infrastructure was scheduled to be happening in “the third quarter of 2023”.

Between Redhill Bridge and Russell Street, the earth mound has been laid as part of the Port Dock Line project. The signals at Russell Street have also been removed.

Apologies for portrait rotation.
IMG_3409.jpeg
IMG_3411.jpeg
IMG_3413.jpeg

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Howie and 164 guests