News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#661 Post by bits » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 am

Medians and verges of main roads are all green lawns and landscaped gardens where I live.
The council is out mowing constantly at the moment but it isn't all done yet.

Rainfall for August, September and likely October for Adelaide metro is much higher than mean average.

And for me the ttg council has always been very prompt with any request. I call up at 5:30pm for a fallen tree limb and they are there an hour later at 6:30pm with multiple people with chainsaws and truck mulching it up.
Same with pot holes in road, always prompt with repairs.
Free green waste dump. Multiple hard refuge pickups a year.
Free outdoor cinema in park.
Playgrounds in well maintained parks that are down every other street.
Great library.
Great swimming centre.
Multiple community programs I don't use but understand they exist.

Maybe you need to ask your council what they do because maybe they are offering a bunch more than you realise.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#662 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:48 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:25 pm
Agreed. I used to live in Campbelltown Council and honestly I don't know what their rates go towards... all those subdivisions and soaring property values... yet they have verges with nothing but dirt, footpaths on one side, potholes everywhere. I'd expect that of Playford, but not the eastern suburbs. It was a joke.
I live in Playford. The council mowers have been up my street twice in spring so far that I have noticed. The first time, we complained that they had mowed over groundcovers (admittedly in need of weeding at the time) including our side of the property boundary. The supervisor rang back, apologised and visited to find out what species had been damaged and then delivered four new ones.

claybro

#663 Post by claybro » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:51 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:48 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:25 pm
Agreed. I used to live in Campbelltown Council and honestly I don't know what their rates go towards... all those subdivisions and soaring property values... yet they have verges with nothing but dirt, footpaths on one side, potholes everywhere. I'd expect that of Playford, but not the eastern suburbs. It was a joke.
I live in Playford. The council mowers have been up my street twice in spring so far that I have noticed. The first time, we complained that they had mowed over groundcovers (admittedly in need of weeding at the time) including our side of the property boundary. The supervisor rang back, apologised and visited to find out what species had been damaged and then delivered four new ones.
It would seem some councils are at least engaged in proper service levels-while others are just not. In my time there in Charles Sturt, verge maintenance was an ongoing issue. Ironically many of the residents complaining about long grass on their verge could not seem to get their mower to work outside their front fence. When it comes to focal points on main roads however-there seems to be a real problem in Adelaide, especially when it comes to major boulevards. 30 years ago, Main North Rd median was covered in carpet rose, Greenhill Road was tree lined, mowed and irrigated. Anzac highway was likewise regularly mowed and irrigated in all its councils. Suddenly, in the bad millenium drought, councils had a get out of gaol free card. Stop watering (drought) grass dies (dont mow) wow...look at how much money we can save- its all down to the weather you know!. Slowly the roses, grass and trees died and were ripped out over the next decade. New parks and gardens were native grasses, and trees...but still not maintained. So here we are. 2 meter high weeds in the middle of a major boulevard (Port Road) into the city. For such an otherwise picturesque city, it is a real let down, and really not an expensive fix in the scheme of things.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#664 Post by AG » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:48 am

Interestingly enough, my experience is that the outer suburban councils are generally better at dealing with roadside and local street maintenance than the inner suburban council counterparts. May have something to do with the outer suburban councils covering much larger populations than the smaller inner suburban councils and having more staffing and resources as a result.

Asset management planning on a whole though is generally done pretty poorly across councils in SA. Many councils don't even have full awareness as to what they own and what they are responsible for maintaining.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#665 Post by SRW » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:17 am

AG wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:48 am
Asset management planning on a whole though is generally done pretty poorly across councils in SA. Many councils don't even have full awareness as to what they own and what they are responsible for maintaining.
Some are aware but inexplicably refuse to make it a priority. I remember poking through the ACC's draft asset management plan, and they had (IIRC) a forecast shortfall of $8 million for asset maintenance and renewal. And yet, keeping the city centre attractive and well-maintained would help attract residents/visitors and boost business, and therefore rate revenue.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#666 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:00 am

SRW wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:17 am
AG wrote:
Some are aware but inexplicably refuse to make it a priority. I remember poking through the ACC's draft asset management plan, and they had (IIRC) a forecast shortfall of $8 million for asset maintenance and renewal. And yet, keeping the city centre attractive and well-maintained would help attract residents/visitors and boost business, and therefore rate revenue.
Does it state specifically how much is spent maintaining lawn? One possible way of saving money would be removing some of the lawn around the city and replacing it with less maintenance intensive options.

claybro

#667 Post by claybro » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:00 am
SRW wrote:
AG wrote:
Does it state specifically how much is spent maintaining lawn? One possible way of saving money would be removing some of the lawn around the city and replacing it with less maintenance intensive options.
This has already been happening across many councils. Lawn and gardens replaced with native groundcovers, shrubs and mulch. Unfortunately, councils seem to think native groundcovers are set and forget. Natives in an urban environment require some watering, weeding and pruning, in fact natives can be more high maintenance to establish and to be attractive.-Just doesn't happen.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#668 Post by SRW » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:37 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 am
gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:00 am
SRW wrote:

This has already been happening across many councils. Lawn and gardens replaced with native groundcovers, shrubs and mulch. Unfortunately, councils seem to think native groundcovers are set and forget. Natives in an urban environment require some watering, weeding and pruning, in fact natives can be more high maintenance to establish and to be attractive.-Just doesn't happen.
To wit, the 'minimalist' landscaping of the West Tce medians completed roughly 18 months ago which has since died off or been overgrown with weeds.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#669 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:20 am

First designs: $7m beach volleyball plans for parklands released

New artist impressions reveal a $7m plan to transform part of Bonython Park into the home of beach volleyball, after its former site on Pirie St was sold earlier this year.

Volleyball SA has created a masterplan for the western parkland after it was identified as the best location for the courts due to its visibility, accessibility and carparking.

The $7m plan and business case, which is reliant on state government funding, is being considered by the Office for Recreation, Sport and Racing and sports minister.

“We are doing whatever we can to make this happen ... we keep pushing,” Volleyball SA chief executive Karla Della Pietra said.

“It will be a multi-sport inclusive venue, for a lot of different sports and activities in general.

“There would be a cafe and we’re hoping to have a double-storey facility of some sort to have mezzanine viewing of the courts.”

Artist impressions of proposed beach volleyball courts at Bonython Park. Picture: Volleyball SA

The plan has an emphasis on the courts blending into the natural habitat and open space.

The location, currently used as carparking, was given the blessing of the Adelaide Park Lands Authority in 2021, which had to approve the proposal.

Ms Della Pietra said the new $3.2bn Women’s and Children’s Hospital, which has been proposed adjacent Bonython Park, would not affect its facility.

“We’ve tried to use it to our advantage and offer nurses and healthcare workers a place to retreat or get active. At the moment no issues have arisen at all from that announcement,” she said.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 9567464af8

ChillyPhilly

#670 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:31 pm

'Due to its carparking', yikes.

Good to see a replacement, but wish it stayed in the CBD, because, y'know, it's in the CBD.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#671 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:34 pm

I'm not opposed to the Bonython Park location because it's replacing a bitumen car lot, but I think Helen Mayo Park (the area west of Morphett Street bridge) would be a better and more central area to activate.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#672 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:15 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:34 pm
I'm not opposed to the Bonython Park location because it's replacing a bitumen car lot, but I think Helen Mayo Park (the area west of Morphett Street bridge) would be a better and more central area to activate.
Should have co-located the skate park and the city beach to Helen Mayo Park (plus facilities for other casual sports and activities, like say changerooms for runners). Would also have tied in with the golf course and tennis courts directly on the other side of the Torrens, plus the rowing facilities.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#673 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:35 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:15 pm
SRW wrote:
Should have co-located the skate park and the city beach to Helen Mayo Park (plus facilities for other casual sports and activities, like say changerooms for runners). Would also have tied in with the golf course and tennis courts directly on the other side of the Torrens, plus the rowing facilities.
+1

Add an outdoor gym along the running/cycle path, and you'd have the city's premier recreation park. There'd even be scope for an outdoor pool.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#674 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:56 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:35 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:15 pm
SRW wrote:
+1

Add an outdoor gym along the running/cycle path, and you'd have the city's premier recreation park. There'd even be scope for an outdoor pool.
Bingo. And it would even have fit thematically as the bridge between the "spectator sport" zone of Adelaide Oval and Memorial Drive, with the health & medical precinct.

ChillyPhilly

#675 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:24 pm

The stink has been kicked up about the proposed location of the new Aquatic Centre:

https://citymag.indaily.com.au/happenin ... -location/

Hopefully we do see the proposed site reconsidered to a location that is a bit better.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.