What other areas should host the Tour Down Under?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

What other areas should host the Tour Down Under?

#1 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 pm

What other areas or routes would you like to see in Tour Down Under?

I personally would like to see a route starting from Mount Barker , go via the Old Princes Highway and ending in Murray Bridge

Or Freeling to Truro via Kapunda and Eudunda

Or Aldinga to Cape Jervis via Yankallila

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: What other areas should host the Tour Down Under?

#2 Post by SBD » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 pm
What other areas or routes would you like to see in Tour Down Under?

I personally would like to see a route starting from Mount Barker , go via the Old Princes Highway and ending in Murray Bridge

Or Freeling to Truro via Kapunda and Eudunda

Or Aldinga to Cape Jervis via Yankallila
Tanunda to Clare could make for an interesting undulating route, with lots of history and primary production to talk about.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:16 am

Don't forget that each stage needs 2 sprint zones and 1 King of the Mountain with a significant enough gradient on the route up the hill.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:12 am

I don't know if we could create a seperate Bike Tour or have it under Tour Down Under but the Great Ocean Road, Innes National Park or Great Australian Bight would look seriously amazing with people cycling on top the cliffs.

If we're looking at windy roads, definitely something around Aldinga. Has there it ever been in Kangaroo Island?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am

HiTouch wrote:I don't know if we could create a seperate Bike Tour or have it under Tour Down Under but the Great Ocean Road, Innes National Park or Great Australian Bight would look seriously amazing with people cycling on top the cliffs.

If we're looking at windy roads, definitely something around Aldinga. Has there it ever been in Kangaroo Island?
I believe the Great Ocean Road (or at least parts of it) already has a cycling race.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 am

I just looked it up and you're right. I recently did a roadtrip there through the Naracoorte, Mount Gambier and Warnambool and was thinking about how scenic that whole area was. Very underrated.

Mount Gambier to Portland (via Port Macdonnel) would be another good long ride.

SBD

#7 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:16 am
Don't forget that each stage needs 2 sprint zones and 1 King of the Mountain with a significant enough gradient on the route up the hill.
The sprints can be pretty much any where that a town has a roughly flat main street - not much shortage of them in SA. Are there detailed rules for a KOM?

For a Clare suggestion, Mintaro to Sevenhill should provide an adequate KOM segment Kapunda to Tarlee would also be a possibility for that or the suggested Freeling/Truro loop. Marrabel to Eudunda, or Eudunda back towards Kapunda on the Thiele Highway (the short climb out of Eudunda or the longer one towards it) would also be options.

For Aldinga, Sellicks Hill has been KOM before I think. There also looks to be a nasty climb from Normanville to Hay Flat as an option.

There are plenty of hills to choose from around Mount Barker and Callington. I expect at least one could be suitable.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Move it to the outback.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by mshagg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:08 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm
Norman wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:16 am
The sprints can be pretty much any where that a town has a roughly flat main street - not much shortage of them in SA. Are there detailed rules for a KOM?
Presumably it needs to be category 4 or higher, so you're looking at 2km @ 6% gradient or 4km @ 4%. I think you'd be able to find something that fits that description between Mt Barker and Murray bridge.

Aidan

#10 Post by Aidan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm

I've previously emailed them to suggest we honour one of Australia's greatest ever cyclists with a TDU stage from Cadell to Evanston. They didn't respond, but it's still something I'd like to see.

It would showcase various parts of SA, including the Riverland, Murraylands and of course the Barossa, before finishing sufficiently near Adelaide to draw big crowds.

One disadvantage is it would be longer than the existing TDU stages, though there have often been longer TDF stages.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Some great suggestions.

The problem with going too far afield (e.g. Mount Gambier) is the need for the riders and support staff to get back to the Hilton Hotel each night with enough time for recovery, bike maintenance, etc, etc before the next day's racing. It's been said many times before, but this is one of the great attractions of the race for the teams, particularly when they've travelled such a long way and so early in the new season. They like being able to set up a 'home base' in one spot for an entire week.

I think racing on Kangaroo Island would be absolutely amazing, but logistically it would be very difficult. The race organisation would likely need to charter ferries and/or aircraft, which would massively add to the expense. At least going to/through Cape Jervis would be great, though. I don't think the race has ever been there before. You would certainly get some great aerial shots of Kangaroo Island and the rugged coastline.

A bigger focus on the Murray River would also be good. I recall the race went to Tailem Bend many years ago, and also started in Mannum one year, but I don't think it's been in that direction for quite a while.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Mitcham Council never will
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/