[SWP] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Malcolm M
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[SWP] Re: Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 124m | 38 levels

#241 Post by Malcolm M » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:19 pm

Last week I used the Coles that would be closed for 4 years to make way for this development. I was staying in a nearby apartment. No trolleys were provided, presumably because it becomes too crowded at times, and only baskets were available. Most of the trade appeared to be walk-ins from nearby apartments, and the store was well used. The only other Coles or Woolworths supermarkets in the CBD are in or near Rundle Mall, and there is nothing else to serve the remainder of the CBD. It would be a pity if CBD apartment residents had to acquire cars for their supermarket needs over the 4 years of development. I hope an alternative temporary supermarket location can be found in the interim.

The developer's plans for a small-format supermarket don't appear to account for an increase in the number of CBD apartment dwellers, such as those in their own development. The "model" to follow should be the QV development in Melbourne's CBD, where there is a basement level Safeway and Big W, ground floor food court and specialty shops. During the COVID lockdowns in Melbourne and in the opening-up period, QV and the surrounding area became the busiest retail area of the CBD, with vacancies increasing in other parts of the CBD. The reason the QV Centre and its surrounds was so robust is because it serves the resident population.

A QV-lite development on the Central Market Arcade site would maximise walk-up and tram access, which the current plans appear to do, and to form the "go to" shopping centre for CBD residents.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#242 Post by Spotto » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:11 pm

Malcolm M wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:19 pm
The developer's plans for a small-format supermarket don't appear to account for an increase in the number of CBD apartment dwellers, such as those in their own development. The "model" to follow should be the QV development in Melbourne's CBD, where there is a basement level Safeway and Big W, ground floor food court and specialty shops. During the COVID lockdowns in Melbourne and in the opening-up period, QV and the surrounding area became the busiest retail area of the CBD, with vacancies increasing in other parts of the CBD. The reason the QV Centre and its surrounds was so robust is because it serves the resident population.
Agreed. But, it hasn't been Safeway for a number of years. Was rebranded to Woolworths ages ago like the rest of Safeway.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#243 Post by Algernon » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:20 pm

Malcolm M wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:19 pm
Last week I used the Coles that would be closed for 4 years to make way for this development. I was staying in a nearby apartment. No trolleys were provided, presumably because it becomes too crowded at times, and only baskets were available. Most of the trade appeared to be walk-ins from nearby apartments, and the store was well used. The only other Coles or Woolworths supermarkets in the CBD are in or near Rundle Mall, and there is nothing else to serve the remainder of the CBD. It would be a pity if CBD apartment residents had to acquire cars for their supermarket needs over the 4 years of development. I hope an alternative temporary supermarket location can be found in the interim.

A QV-lite development on the Central Market Arcade site would maximise walk-up and tram access, which the current plans appear to do, and to form the "go to" shopping centre for CBD residents.
I'm considering an apartment purchase in this area and I agree that if the only supermarket is a small format then that's the whole area cooked for me and back to the drawing board.

Nathan

#244 Post by Nathan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:19 pm

I don't think it's as much of an issue as it would have been in the past, given the uptake of supermarket deliveries. We typically use Woolworths delivery, and the local IGA for minor top-ups. The majority around us would be the same (given how often we see the delivery trucks). We only venture to a major supermarket in person if we have left it too late and can't get a good delivery slot.

For that part of the city, even without delivery, you can make it work between the Central Market itself and the Gilbert St IGA.

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#245 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:18 pm

Most of my friends and neighbours in the city don't drive to do grocery shopping. Most, including me, are taking little 'nanna trolleys' to wherever in the CBD is convenient. Many will continue shopping at the Central Markets for produce and venturing to the mall for everything else.

There are still IGAs on both Hutt and Gilbert Sts (though a bit smaller and pricier than Coles or Woolies). Will be a slight inconvenience without the Central Market Coles, though. But I don't think it will be enough to force many people to buy a car.

Algernon, you'll likely find that CBD apartment living will require lots more walking regardless. Walking/tramming/biking to the mall's full-format supermarkets instead won't be too much of a hassle.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#246 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:28 pm

whatstheirnamesmom wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:18 pm
Most of my friends and neighbours in the city don't drive to do grocery shopping. Most, including me, are taking little 'nanna trolleys' to wherever in the CBD is convenient. Many will continue shopping at the Central Markets for produce and venturing to the mall for everything else.

There are still IGAs on both Hutt and Gilbert Sts (though a bit smaller and pricier than Coles or Woolies). Will be a slight inconvenience without the Central Market Coles, though. But I don't think it will be enough to force many people to buy a car.

Algernon, you'll likely find that CBD apartment living will require lots more walking regardless. Walking/tramming/biking to the mall's full-format supermarkets instead won't be too much of a hassle.
From the point of view of someone living in Realm Adelaide, I agree, you walk almost everywhere, I like it : ) . Don't have to bother with fuel/servicing/insurance of a car. I just use the good old public transport :lol:. I will miss the Central Market coles though, the IGA's sometimes don't have what I want.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#247 Post by A-Town » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:53 pm

I'd like to see a Woolworths Metro store in the CBD, like what they've got in the Melbourne and Sydney CBDs.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#248 Post by Spotto » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm

Algernon wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:20 pm
I'm considering an apartment purchase in this area and I agree that if the only supermarket is a small format then that's the whole area cooked for me and back to the drawing board.
You've got the entire Central Markets right next door, and Coles/Woolies are a two-stop tram ride and halfway-down walk away at Rundle Mall. If you walk to the end of the mall, you'll find a brand spanking new Foodland.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#249 Post by floplo » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:06 am

The 60 King William building currently under construction also mentions a supermarket, though not much more detail about size or brand.
The main supermarket brand missing is obviously ALDI... they strategically surrounded the CBD with stores but seemingly don't venture to put one actually into the city. I also guess that Australia's ALDI doesn't want to do the inner-city small format they occasionally have in Europe...
So probably no ALDI for the Central market :?

Smithy84
Gold-Member ;)

#250 Post by Smithy84 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:35 am

Multiplex have been selected to complete this project.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#251 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:29 am

Indaily article confirming Multiplex: https://indaily.com.au/news/2022/02/08/ ... velopment/

Start date set for June. Really hope Victoria Tower gets up too, because these two towers together would be great for that part of the city.

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#252 Post by Prodical » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:16 pm

I was shoe shopping on Saturday (a 3 yearly ritual) in the shop directly to the east of the Victoria Tower site.

The owner said that he thought the Market tower would start in June and the Victoria Tower by the end of the year.

Hope so - will expand the city centre and enable another 1.000 or so people to live in the CBD

Algernon

#253 Post by Algernon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:38 pm

Prodical wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:16 pm
I was shoe shopping on Saturday (a 3 yearly ritual)
Man Code upheld

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: [APP] Re: Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 124m | 38 levels

#254 Post by citywatcher » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:06 pm

Prodical wrote:I was shoe shopping on Saturday (a 3 yearly ritual) in the shop directly to the east of the Victoria Tower site.

The owner said that he thought the Market tower would start in June and the Victoria Tower by the end of the year.

Hope so - will expand the city centre and enable another 1.000 or so people to live in the CBD
Yes . The man in the shoe Image store knows.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#255 Post by aceman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:49 am

will this development be our first in the 120-130 range? everything else is either just below 120 or just above 130 unless I've missed something obvious.