[PRO] Glen Osmond/Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade | $35m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO] Glen Osmond/Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade | $35m

#1 Post by Hybrid » Thu May 02, 2019 1:41 pm

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Glen Osmond and Fullarton Road intersection upgrade

#2 Post by PeFe » Thu May 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Roads and Traffic thread is for stuff like this...no need to start a new thread :D

EBG

#3 Post by EBG » Thu May 02, 2019 11:03 pm

it is all very well to widen the corner of Fullarton Rd and Glen Osmond Rd. However the real problem is that Fullarton Rd needs to be 3 lanes each way from Glen Osmond Rd to at least Greenhill Rd or even to the Britannia round about. At 5 pm peak times the traffic is backed up from PAC College to the Arkaba hotel.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Eurostar » Fri May 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Interesting that its written that it will be completed by 2022, that's before or after the next State Election.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO] Re: Glen Osmond/Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade | $35m

#5 Post by ralmin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:24 pm

Updated concept plan released November 2021. Of note:
  • No right turns from Fullarton Road into Glen Osmond Road in both directions.
  • New traffic lights at intersection of Glen Osmond Road and Main Avenue, moved 50-60 metres south-east.
  • New traffic lights for pedestrian actuated (push button) crossing on Fullarton Road.
  • Major construction works are scheduled to commence early 2022, with the project completion expected in late 2022, weather permitting.

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructu ... on_upgrade

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 am

Thanks for the update Ralmin.

I wish the latest design accounted for more adequate pedestrian and cyclist movement. Seems dangerous to not have any dedicated space for cyclists to move beyond riding on the footpath (and therefore across many vehicle entry/exit points). I would have preferred to have seen no additional through lanes on Fullarton Rd and the space dedicated instead to a separated bike lane or wide shared path.

How does this project increase safety for cyclists? The benchmark for high-quality cycling infrastructure and safety standards should be: would I let my child ride through this area?

My answer: absolutely not. I wouldn't sleep knowing my child needed to traverse this intersection by bike.

We know widening metropolitan roads only increases motor vehicle congestion, so why do we continue doing it? At such great expense, too?

Community feedback on this project can be given here: https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... uggestions

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:07 pm

The intersection is dodgy, so agreed it needs an upgrade, but this just seems like a very small band aid.

Surely the issue with the SE Freeway onto Glen Osmond with the whole route from there into the city needing to be reviewed

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by A-Town » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Car parking on Glen Osmond Rd needs to be permanently removed instead of just during peak hour. Or, at the very least it needs to be removed from 7am - 7pm. It's ridiculous how bad traffic can be held up by cars parked on one side of the road along with someone who has stopped to turn right from the other lane.

Patrick_27

#9 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:02 pm

Not sure where the $35m allocated toward this project is actually going? Seems to be a lot of minor widening works that won't really solve the problem of congestions, it also doesn't solve the aforementioned issue with cyclist safety. What I also can't comprehend is why they are removing right hand turns from Fullarton Road onto G/O Road? Perhaps southbound this might work but northbound this just shoves the traffic volumes headed into the city further north at Greenhill Road. That said, glad they're moving the pedestrian crossing to create a t-junction intersection at Main Avenue, I would have thought this logic might also be applied with Campbell Road instead of having a mere pedestrian crossing there...

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#10 Post by ralmin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:24 pm

Northbound towards the city, you will still be able to make the left turn from Fullarton Road into Glen Osmond road.

The turns that are being removed are the ones where you turn more than 90° and end up going partially ‘backwards’ to your original direction of travel.

This will mostly impact access to businesses near the intersection. For example I live to the south and when approaching Frewville Foodland from the south currently take Fullarton Rd northbound and turn right into GO Road then left into Foodland. Instead I will need to turn right into Gladstone Street, left into GO Road then right into Main Ave. That will add more traffic to side streets like Gladstone Street.

I also ride to work along Fullarton as it’s the fastest route into the city. The lack of bike lanes doesn’t bother me, though I would love to have a protected shared path that wasn’t interrupted by countless side streets and driveways. It’s particularly silly that past Greenhill Road there is a massive Victoria Park but no shared path along the eastern side adjacent Fullarton Road. Plenty of room for a footpath but only a dirt track exists.