[U/C] Ovingham Level Crossing Removal | $231m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: Ovingham Level Crossing Removal | $231m

#196 Post by rev » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:20 am

Nort wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:06 am
No photo unfortunately since I wasn't prepared for it, but you get a great view of this on approach to Adelaide Airport if landing from the north. It makes sense, but didn't realise before now just how much the overpass curves around.
You get a good idea of how far to the north it realigns from the top of Torrens road at the intersection.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by Pistol » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 am

Images of the Ovingham train station have been released by the PTP Alliance.
They are completely underwhelming considering this station has a budget of $10m!
https://ptpa.com.au/projects/ovinghamc ... llery-23-1

It has a glorified bus shelter and a bit of landscaping.
For that budget, I would’ve expected much more of a transformation.

Must be lining the pockets of the contractor - or hiding the overspend on the overpass…
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#198 Post by VLtom » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:24 pm

Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 am
They are completely underwhelming considering this station has a budget of $10m!

Must be lining the pockets of the contractor - or hiding the overspend on the overpass…
Unsure what you expected I guess. They're doing to the station what they have done to all the stations that have needed an upgrade for the past decade and a half. Shelter the same as on almost any other network station, improved access to the station with DDA compliant ramps, widths, etc. Looks like some opportunity for level boarding by raising the platform height. The south end has to be slightly reconfigured regardless because DIT realigned the tracks.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#199 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 pm

VLtom wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:24 pm
Pistol wrote:

Unsure what you expected I guess. They're doing to the station what they have done to all the stations that have needed an upgrade for the past decade and a half. Shelter the same as on almost any other network station, improved access to the station with DDA compliant ramps, widths, etc. Looks like some opportunity for level boarding by raising the platform height. The south end has to be slightly reconfigured regardless because DIT realigned the tracks.
On the Gawler line Elizabeth, Broadmeadows and Munno Para were completely new stations while Parafield, Chidda, Elizabeth Sth and Evanston received new shelters and upgrades during Rail Revitalisation. In the present round of upgrades Womma has received a new shelter and platform resurfacing, Gawler Central, Greenfield and Dry Creek have had existing shelters refurbished. Tambelin, Kilburn and Islington (which have narrow side platforms) are having new shelters installed on ground level concrete foundations behind the platforms. Ovingham is subject to more extensive work. The old earth fill platforms have been completely removed apart from the platform face walls. New rear concrete retaining walls are under construction resulting in increased platform width. The platform shelters in the PTPA photos are similar to the new ones at Kilburn and Islington.
Islington_20220427_160108.JPG
Up Platform Shelter at Islington 2022-04-27

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#200 Post by Waz » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am

Pistol wrote:

What's underwhelming isn't the station, but the illustration of it. You'll note that it is labelled as an impression of Davenport terrace; if it was of the station, I dare say you'd have found more detail.

Too quick to judge.
You hear it here first...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#201 Post by Pistol » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 pm

Waz wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am
What's underwhelming isn't the station, but the illustration of it. You'll note that it is labelled as an impression of Davenport terrace; if it was of the station, I dare say you'd have found more detail.

Too quick to judge.
[/quote]

I reiterate, this has a budget of $10m.
If this is a complete rebuild, why didn't they rebuild it under the overpass and therefore using the bridge as shelter?
If this is a complete rebuild, why was there no public consultation done?

This is the layout of the station
https://ptpa-public-assets.s3.amazonaws ... PROVED.pdf

I may be quick to judge but I don't see much more than some new bus station shelters and some carparking - now THAT is value for money....

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#202 Post by Nathan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:46 pm

I don't know why in situations like this where the line is going under the road, they don't position some of the platform underneath the road and take advantage of the shelter it provides.

I see this at Bowden station where the shelters they've provider do absolutely nothing, so people huddle underneath the small sliver of shade provided by the pedestrian walkway overhead.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#203 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:00 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:46 pm
I don't know why in situations like this where the line is going under the road, they don't position some of the platform underneath the road and take advantage of the shelter it provides.

I see this at Bowden station where the shelters they've provider do absolutely nothing, so people huddle underneath the small sliver of shade provided by the pedestrian walkway overhead.
I know that stations are these days CCTV'd out the wazoo, but I wonder if they've avoided building under structures due to CPTED principles like passive surveillance?

But yes, agree, please more sun, wind and rain relief for public transport users.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#204 Post by Nathan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:48 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:00 pm
Nathan wrote:

I know that stations are these days CCTV'd out the wazoo, but I wonder if they've avoided building under structures due to CPTED principles like passive surveillance?

But yes, agree, please more sun, wind and rain relief for public transport users.
They were able to do some proper cover at Oaklands though. My theory was that it's a difference in electric vs diesel lines, with the latter needing it to be open at a station, but then it's obviously not being applied at Ovingham.

All Ovingham needs is shifting the platform south just slightly, so that the southern end is under shelter when needed, and then the whole rest of the platform can be the open, passive surveillance nirvana they believe it is (i.e. the one surrounded by car parking and quiet suburban streets instead of a highly trafficked mixed-use station surrounded by apartments and businesses).

rev

#205 Post by rev » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:58 pm

They've bituminized a lot of the new bridge, but it looks like there's still an 'off ramp' heading west that needs to be built before the Chief street intersection.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#206 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue May 03, 2022 6:46 pm

The other thing needed is a grade separated pedestrian crossing. This is especially a problem with the ARTC line where long trains can block pedestrian access for some time.
Nathan wrote:
That would also make connecting with Torrens Road buses easier.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Ovingham Level Crossing Removal | $231m

#207 Post by Spotto » Tue May 03, 2022 9:34 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:The other thing needed is a grade separated pedestrian crossing. This is especially a problem with the ARTC line where long trains can block pedestrian access for some time.
Yeah, if only there was a bridge there that they could use for pedestrian access down to the platforms… Image

rev

#208 Post by rev » Sun May 08, 2022 7:35 am

PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 pm
VLtom wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:24 pm
Pistol wrote:

On the Gawler line Elizabeth, Broadmeadows and Munno Para were completely new stations while Parafield, Chidda, Elizabeth Sth and Evanston received new shelters and upgrades during Rail Revitalisation. In the present round of upgrades Womma has received a new shelter and platform resurfacing, Gawler Central, Greenfield and Dry Creek have had existing shelters refurbished. Tambelin, Kilburn and Islington (which have narrow side platforms) are having new shelters installed on ground level concrete foundations behind the platforms. Ovingham is subject to more extensive work. The old earth fill platforms have been completely removed apart from the platform face walls. New rear concrete retaining walls are under construction resulting in increased platform width. The platform shelters in the PTPA photos are similar to the new ones at Kilburn and Islington.

Islington_20220427_160108.JPG
What the hell is that? In 2022?
They want to increase the density of the area, not just with the development next to this but in the general area with apartment buildings, and this is the best they can do ?

Built it once and build it right. FFS.

EBG

#209 Post by EBG » Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 am

Update picture Saturday 14/5/2022. the bridge is nearly complete apart from the western end of the towards Port Adelaide end. two way traffic will probablely use the northern side to allow the southern side to be completed.
Attachments
20220514_ovingham.jpg

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#210 Post by Pistol » Mon May 23, 2022 4:44 pm

Traffic is going to be switched to using the bridge on 10 June