[CAN] Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#151 Post by d3v310per » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 pm
Of all he dumb stuff this government has done, this is one of the dumbest.
Let's face it, public rail transport in South Australia has never been a priority, with Liberal governments tending to be the least interested in improving the network. In 2021 we still haven't got a fully electrified rail network! I totally agree with your sentiment - building a sports arena over much needed investment in this project (and major issues with our health system) is just insane.
I've been a Liberal voter for all my voting life, however this hack of a government will not get my vote next year.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#152 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:44 am

d3v310per wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Let's face it, public rail transport in South Australia has never been a priority, with Liberal governments tending to be the least interested in improving the network. In 2021 we still haven't got a fully electrified rail network! I totally agree with your sentiment - building a sports arena over much needed investment in this project (and major issues with our health system) is just insane.
I've been a Liberal voter for all my voting life, however this hack of a government will not get my vote next year.
I assume that means you'll be voting Greens or Centre Alliance/SABest? Labor thought that electrifying Adelaide to Mawson Lakes would be enough, and the Port Dock spur wasn't planned to be electrified either.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#153 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:33 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:44 am
d3v310per wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
I assume that means you'll be voting Greens or Centre Alliance/SABest? Labor thought that electrifying Adelaide to Mawson Lakes would be enough, and the Port Dock spur wasn't planned to be electrified either.
Or maybe like any sensible voter he will wait for the ALP 2022 election manifesto and compare that to the Liberals in terms of rail spending before making his decision.

urban
Legendary Member!

#154 Post by urban » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:40 am

This, like the Ovingham one, is primarily a road project with the bulk of the benefits aimed at and flowing to motorists.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by Bob » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:27 am

127 level crossings on the Adelaide Metro rail and tram network, the State Government has identified 31 of those as high risk and warrant priority to alter or remove. Now that Hove is off the list for the time being, we would assume the $170m will be allocated to another level crossing(s) – wonder which one(s) will get the most political bang for buck for the incumbent State Government if announced before the March 2022 election?

PeFe

#156 Post by PeFe » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:54 pm

What about the Marion and Cross Rd tram crossing?

Lots of bang for your buck in doing those two crossings at the same time...

[Shuz]

#157 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm

Park Terrace in Salisbury needs to be done ASAP.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#158 Post by Spotto » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:54 pm
What about the Marion and Cross Rd tram crossing?

Lots of bang for your buck in doing those two crossings at the same time...
Those were two of the 31 high risk crossings identified, with the crossings at Morphett Road and Goodwood Road being the other two on the tram line. But I definitely agree.

SBD

#159 Post by SBD » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm
Since the line has been closed for a year, they should have done Park Terrace, Curtis Road, Kings Road as well as making sure that Torrens Road won't need any extra rail closures. Unfortunately, that would have required more forethought or budget planning than we have seen from either side of parliament. Maybe the department can use the newer construction techniques to minimise closure time in future.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#160 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:37 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
I agree, but how? The freight line means that you cannot have any appreciable vertical displacement of the railway given the short distance (and hence steep gradient) to the rail overpass on Salisbury Highway. The short distance between the railway line & Salisbury Highway means you cannot take Park Tce/Waterloo Corner Rd over or under the railway line because of the difficulty, in the space available, in accommodating right turns from Salisbury Hwy onto Park Tce and right turns from Salisbury Hwy onto Waterloo corner road.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#161 Post by Spotto » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:49 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:37 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
I agree, but how? The freight line means that you cannot have any appreciable vertical displacement of the railway given the short distance (and hence steep gradient) to the rail overpass on Salisbury Highway. The short distance between the railway line & Salisbury Highway means you cannot take Park Tce/Waterloo Corner Rd over or under the railway line because of the difficulty, in the space available, in accommodating right turns from Salisbury Hwy onto Park Tce and right turns from Salisbury Hwy onto Waterloo corner road.
Realistically, the only two options would be rail over or rail under. There's no way to move Park Terrace either over or under the rail corridor without compromising all the other roads around it.

Rail over: A skyrail starting somewhere after Chidda, running over Park Terrace and continuing over Salisbury Highway replacing the current bridge, then descending somewhere after Commercial Road. The freight line skyrail could possibly continue past Bagster Road before descending if they also wanted to remove that level crossing while they're already working on everything else.

Rail under: Raise Salisbury Highway to ground level and lower the rail corridor under Park Terrace, Salisbury Highway, Little Para River and Commercial Road. Similar situation for Bagster Road on the freight line as above.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#162 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:53 pm

If the government built the rail line component of the Northern Connector, they could pretty much get rid of this part of the freight line, which would make things simpler in terms of gradients and space.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#163 Post by Bob » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:18 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:53 pm
If the government built the rail line component of the Northern Connector, they could pretty much get rid of this part of the freight line, which would make things simpler in terms of gradients and space.
I think most of here would agree with that.

The proposed ARTC rail connection from Dry Creek to Virginia is one of those obvious projects for Infrastructure Australia to approve for funding request, I haven't understood why this State Government hasn't been pushing harder for this. The land corridor is there ready to go.

[Shuz]

#164 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:15 am

I would think a half-and-half option would be the most cost effective, feasible and practical solution.

It would require property acquisition of 1 through to 33 Park Terrace, reroute the road slightly to the south, dip it halfway under, and raise the railway line half way over, so that you still get the full clearance height of a rail over road option. Rebuild Salisbury Station to the south as a partially elevated station, new bus interchange in the triangle carpark piece of land between Park Terrace, railway line Guerin Street. This option should give sufficient gradient for the rail to return at grade just before the bridge without needing to rebuild the Salisbury Highway rail bridge. The existing bus interchange could be sold off as a ixed use medium density development opportunity to reclaim some of the costs of the project.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#165 Post by Bob » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 am

The IA link with the initiatives details including a map for level crossing removal/altering to reduce congestion

https://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov ... and-safety