[PRO] Barossa | Oscar Seppeltsfield | 12 Levels

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Barossa | Oscar Seppeltsfield | 12 Levels

#1 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:25 pm

$50m luxury hotel to become 'Sydney Opera House' of Barossa
https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/04/06/ ... f-barossa/

An iconic 12-storey hotel and day spa is being proposed at Seppeltsfield to drive luxury tourism in the Barossa wine region.

The $50 million six-star luxury hotel project will have about 70 rooms, including suites and penthouses, with a private balcony for every room.

To be named Oscar Seppeltsfield, the hotel is expected to begin welcoming guests in 2022.

Artist’s renders of the building set in the vineyards near the iconic Seppeltsfield Winery reveal an ultra-modern design to rival McLaren Vale’s d’Arenberg Cube.

Wine baron and Seppeltsfield owner Warren Randall said he wanted to create a national icon for South Australia.

“A Sydney Opera House for the Barossa,” he said.

“Oscar will complete the grand vision of our tourism master plan for Seppeltsfield to become the most desirable epicurean destination for tourists worldwide.

“The hotel will be positioned gently in the middle of the Great Terraced Vineyard, surrounded by century old bush vines, an amazingly tranquil location and a short walking distance to the world-class Seppeltsfield tourism village.

The Seppeltsfield precinct is already one of the Barossa’s leading tourist destinations and includes the Seppeltsfield Cellar Door and Centennial Cellar, 1888 Gravity Cellar, Fino Restaurant, Jam Factory Craft and Design Studios, a cooperage and artisan knife maker.

“In 2019, Seppeltsfield was judged as one of the top 50 vineyards in the world,” Randall said.

“The addition of this luxury hotel will elevate Seppeltsfield to one of the top five vineyards in the world, in turn lifting Australia’s international wine reputation.”

Plans for the hotel are expected to be lodged with Light Regional Council today. Construction is hoped to begin in early 2021 with the building completed about 12 months later.

The project is the latest in a string of investments involving Randall, who has risen to become one of the most important individuals in the Australian wine industry in recent years on the back of booming exports to China.

Oscar Seppeltsfield will also feature a sky bar on the top level with 360-degree sweeping views of the Barossa. The ground floor will have a wellness day spa including a private entry to a relaxation space and infinity pool. The hotel will also offer a restaurant, private dining room and boardroom.

A tender process will be soon undertaken to choose the luxury hotel operator. The project is expected to create 363 construction jobs and 350 ongoing jobs for the region once operational.

Project spokesman Toby Yap said the hotel was being funded and driven by a dynamic group of South Australian business leaders.

“The Barossa is famous for its wine, food, and spectacular sights, but what it needs is an iconic luxury hotel to cater to local and international guests that visit the region,” he said.

“We are thrilled to be bringing this landmark project to one of the greatest wine regions in the world.

“With over 897,000-day trips to the Barossa in 2019, Oscar Seppeltsfield will be a place where people can stay longer, immerse, indulge and relax.”

Head Architect of Intro Architecture Terry Boxall designed the hotel, taking inspiration from the history of Seppeltsfield winery and the wine barrels in the Centennial Cellar.

The hotel is named in honour of the innovative visionary Oscar Benno Seppelt, who took over the Seppeltsfield Winery from his founding father Joseph in 1868 and went on to revolutionise the Australian wine industry.

Research commissioned by the South Australian Tourism Commission found that only 28 accommodation options out of 161 in the Barossa were rated at 4-stars or above, revealing a gap in the market for a luxury hotel.

Direct tourism expenditure as a result of the hotel is expected to be $19 million per year with tourism visitor numbers estimated at 147,166 over first five years.

Randall began his wine career as a cellar hand in the late 1970s before becoming Australia’s leading sparkling winemaker in the 1980s. He teamed up with two partners to buy his first winery – Tinlins in McLaren Vale – in 1994 and purchased his first 50 per cent stake in Seppeltsfield in 2008.

But it is in the past five years that the Randall Wine Group growth has spiked, resulting in a buy up of vineyards in South Australia’s major wine producing regions in the past 18 months.

The group now owns more than 3300ha of vineyards in South Australia, which it says makes it “the largest private, luxury vineyard holder” in the state.

Seppelstfield also opened a wine chateau in China in 2017 in a joint venture with Minquan Jiuding Wine Company Ltd. It is the first Chinese chateau to have a part ownership stake by an Australian winemaker.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: Barossa | Oscar Seppeltsfield | 12 Levels

#2 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Who are the architects? Sorta evokes a slug for me, but it looks good and is great for the region.

I imagine construction might be delayed somewhat, but I think it'll remain feasible even despite the pandemic given it'll be targeted at the high end, who will remain wealthy on the other side of this.
Keep Adelaide Weird

PeFe

#3 Post by PeFe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:03 pm

So McLaren Vale has the "Cube" and the now the Barossa might have the "Slug".....

Perhaps each wine region can have one modern large building acting as an "icon".

Suggestions for Clare, Adelaide Hills and Coonawarra?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by how good is he » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Its design is supposedly based on a wine barrel...I'm thinking if it was designed to be a faithful shape of a wine barrel [a modern metallic one like this with glass balconies etc], would that look better or would it make it look more tacky?

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:40 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:12 pm
Its design is supposedly based on a wine barrel...I'm thinking if it was designed to be a faithful shape of a wine barrel [a modern metallic one like this with glass balconies etc], would that look better or would it make it look more tacky?
I think a literal representation would look very tacky.

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:30 pm

A literal interpretation would resemble that water tower converted into the apartments in Kent Town, which in time will look like a tacky eye sore.

The proposed design reminds me of a decanter or wine glass. I love it!

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by slenderman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm
Who are the architects? Sorta evokes a slug for me, but it looks good and is great for the region.

I imagine construction might be delayed somewhat, but I think it'll remain feasible even despite the pandemic given it'll be targeted at the high end, who will remain wealthy on the other side of this.
Intro Architecture according to the article. They're the same people behind 269 North Terrace. Impressive design IMO.

At 12 levels, this would surely be the tallest building in South Australia outside metropolitan Adelaide yeah? Does anyone happen to know what building currently holds this title?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Looks good.
Watch the video of it on AdelaideNow if you can. The lower levels look like they flow directly from the vineyard behind it and then flows up to the tower section.
Hopefully the build materials/finish are of an extremely high quality, especially if they want to claim being 6 stars.

Now, why can't we have bolder designs like this in the city..

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Plasmatron » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:07 pm

Take the famous Dancing House building in Prague and add something on and you have this thing
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by how good is he » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:41 pm

I think about 5 years ago the same developers made an unsolicited bid to take over and build a day spa concept for Martindale Hall at Clare. It could have been fantastic but never get off the ground. Really hope this one happens.

bits
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by bits » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:41 am

how good is he wrote: Martindale Hall at Clare
Maybe the problem was they could never find Martindale Hall if they were looking in Clare.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by ml69 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:46 am

I think it sort of resembles a dragon.

It could certainly be marketed to Chinese tourists as the dragon hotel.

Nort

#14 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am

I quite like it, so long as it isn't too obtrusive on the views from other wineries around there.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:49 pm

Very much modelled on a wine decanter. I think its bold and beautiful and should be built.