Illuminate Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Illuminate Adelaide

#1 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm

For all those who bang on about bringing back the Northern Lights art projections to the Festival, or about spreading events throughout the year -- the state government will support a new winter event called Illuminate Adelaide. It will chiefly involve art projections throughout the city but will more broadly involve the intersection of art and technology. What that means and what budget it will have is still TBA, but you can read the article over at Aunty:
Illuminate Adelaide to transcend 2021 travel restrictions with technology
Malcom Sutton, ABC Radio Adelaide, 11 August 2020

Adelaide's international summer festivals may be readjusting to what is expected to be a mostly national program due to coronavirus travel restrictions, but the newest event on the city's calendar will have no such disadvantage.

Key points:
  • A new winter festival is set to showcase technology, art and innovators in Adelaide
  • The budget is not yet settled, with the co-founders seeking to make it as big as possible
  • A possible collaborations with the Cabaret Festival is on the cards
Illuminate Adelaide was announced on the weekend, a new 2021 "winter event" that will have a strong focus on technology, innovation and art.

"I think we're fortunate in that working in this area there are a lot of different possibilities in how we might present artists' and innovators' work from elsewhere, essentially by using technology," co-founder Lee Cumberlidge said.

"We're really scouring the planet for the best of what's happening in this space."

Exactly what the festival will look like remains unknown, but punters have been told to "expect the unexpected".

Read more...
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Illuminate Adelaide

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

Fantastic initiative. Adelaide has a lot of potential for this sort of thing. Northern Lights was the best example of this event. I'm really glad to see it resurrected in some form. Sydney has their Vivid Festival and Melbourne has their White Night, which draw massive crowds. Adelaide is well positioned to do something similar.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:01 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am
Fantastic initiative. Adelaide has a lot of potential for this sort of thing. Northern Lights was the best example of this event. I'm really glad to see it resurrected in some form. Sydney has their Vivid Festival and Melbourne has their White Night, which draw massive crowds. Adelaide is well positioned to do something similar.
Hopefully it's spread out around the metro area, places like Port Adelaide would work well for this sort of thing.
I've been saying for years we should have festivals going in winter as well, I'm just surprised it's the Liberal government that's done it.

Ho Really

#4 Post by Ho Really » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 am

rev wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:01 am
...I've been saying for years we should have festivals going in winter as well...
Well, winter is the best time of year for light shows. The nights are longer. Look at the Xmas lights in the Northern Hemisphere which we can't do here until after 9pm when shopping is all over and done. Let's hope they take you vision seriously.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by ml69 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 am
rev wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:01 am
...I've been saying for years we should have festivals going in winter as well...
Well, winter is the best time of year for light shows. The nights are longer. Look at the Xmas lights in the Northern Hemisphere which we can't do here until after 9pm when shopping is all over and done. Let's hope they take you vision seriously.

Cheers
Fantastic that this is now a real proposal.

I first suggested this 5 years ago lol 🤣 >> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5503

Philip_Green
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by Philip_Green » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

wow just, I am excited to visit .

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:21 pm

There's a 'digital arts and culture exhibition' proposed for Victoria Square next winter that is presumably part of this festival: https://yoursay.cityofadelaide.com.au/d ... exhibition
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Fri May 27, 2022 12:46 pm

There seems to be a lot more happening this year with Illuminate.

Nort

#9 Post by Nort » Tue May 31, 2022 11:21 am

Interesting to see they're shutting down Rundle Road for three months for it. After push back on the initial o-bahn plan that would have seen Rundle Road closed I suspect this is a trial balloon for how a permanent closure could work. If successful I'd bet we'll see Rundle Road closed for events like Adelaide Fringe as well.
2e6b7d72e4e96ef5bc332abd78f1ab61_Proposed_site_area.jpg
I'm all in favour!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by SRW » Tue May 31, 2022 11:42 am

Nort wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:21 am
Interesting to see they're shutting down Rundle Road for three months for it. After push back on the initial o-bahn plan that would have seen Rundle Road closed I suspect this is a trial balloon for how a permanent closure could work. If successful I'd bet we'll see Rundle Road closed for events like Adelaide Fringe as well.

2e6b7d72e4e96ef5bc332abd78f1ab61_Proposed_site_area.jpg

I'm all in favour!
I'd love if that turns out to be the case, but I believe the reason on this occassion is merely practical: Rymill Park is unavailable due to works.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:58 pm

The virtual band Gorillaz have added a show for Adelaide on their tour, specifically as part of Illuminate Adelaide. I'm going along for a look and interested to see how they alter their show to fit in with the festival theme.

Being a virtual band, it would be super cool if they were able to have the members appear as holograms on the stage, unlikely, but here's hoping :lol:

Nathan

#12 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:25 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:58 pm
The virtual band Gorillaz have added a show for Adelaide on their tour, specifically as part of Illuminate Adelaide. I'm going along for a look and interested to see how they alter their show to fit in with the festival theme.

Being a virtual band, it would be super cool if they were able to have the members appear as holograms on the stage, unlikely, but here's hoping :lol:
It'll be like their other recent concerts. Damon Albarn & co. on stage, with the animated members making appearances on a large screen behind.

Recent show from Brazil: