[PRO] North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~105m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[PRO] Re: North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~110m | 28 Levels | Office

#16 Post by rev » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:10 pm

Western facade looks plain.

Upper levels...could turn out quite good, if high quality materials are used. But this is Adelaide so every chance it would end up looking like a modern glass commie block.
At approximately 65,000 sqm GFA and 28 levels, the Trinity City tower will become one of Adelaide’s most prominent commercial buildings and will forever change the city’s skyline with its distinctive design.
Bit of a reach. Its a glass box.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: North Terrace/Morphett Street | Trinity City | ~110m | 28 Levels | Office

#17 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:11 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:54 pm
Wheres the top of the building, I can't see it
trinity-CITY-adelaide.png
cheers

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:07 pm

V2_Final.jpg
What an impact!

I hope they find anchor tenants quickly so this can get started.
Keep Adelaide Weird

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:46 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:07 pm
V2_Final.jpg

What an impact!

I wouldn't say it looks inspiring, rather bland actually. Give it a bit more height then it'll look better

ml69
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by ml69 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:54 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:07 pm
V2_Final.jpg

What an impact!

I’m rather disappointed. The twin tower concept and height are fine, but given the prominence of the site would like to see a bit more flourish in the design. Eg more curves or angles on the corners and a more distinctive top to the building. Wouldn’t cost a lot more but would make it far better than the relatively utilitarian design that it currently is.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Pikey » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:38 pm

for me if there was a more pronounced height difference between the two "towers" it would look better. It certainly has impact, its overall mass could end up being overpowering. Still, it'll create some variation on the skyline!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by Algernon » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:56 pm

If it needs floor plates this large, I'd prefer the centre to be recessed a little more to shake off the bulk. Height variation would also be nice, but wouldn't really diminish the bulkiness a lot. Not an overly disappointing design to me, just nothing to get excited about. The change in materiality of the podium floors is a very welcome revision.

On the plus side, I always thought that ominous car park wall and vacant lot marked a real point between where the city stops and the backwater vacant inner west started. Now it feels like the CBD is expanding west with purpose, rather than bulking up with transients in serviced apartments. Having some proper commercial space anchoring this part of the city can only improve the locale for more permanent residents which is a good thing.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:52 am

Algernon wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:56 pm
On the plus side, I always thought that ominous car park wall and vacant lot marked a real point between where the city stops and the backwater vacant inner west started. Now it feels like the CBD is expanding west with purpose, rather than bulking up with transients in serviced apartments. Having some proper commercial space anchoring this part of the city can only improve the locale for more permanent residents which is a good thing.
This is the point for me. This building represents a step change for the West End.

And although it's no design hero, I'm surprised its aesthetic seems to be receiving more critique than the SA1 tower for which I have nothing nice to say.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Pants » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:16 pm

I don’t mind it. At least the softened edges prevent it from being another glass box.

I’m interested to see clearer renders of the western facade. I’m sure it’s not a concrete fire wall because there’s no adjoining property to the west and surely they wouldn’t want to block out ocean views if they don’t have to. Maybe it’s some sort of latticing to give a bit of extra protection from the western sun?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:03 pm

Pants wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:16 pm
I don’t mind it. At least the softened edges prevent it from being another glass box.

I’m interested to see clearer renders of the western facade. I’m sure it’s not a concrete fire wall because there’s no adjoining property to the west and surely they wouldn’t want to block out ocean views if they don’t have to. Maybe it’s some sort of latticing to give a bit of extra protection from the western sun?
The below image and the developer's ESG page indicates it'll be the same curtain glass wall with an external sun shade system.
trinity-CITY-adelaide.png
Keep Adelaide Weird

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:20 am

This will be twin tower village of the corner of mother and west terrace goes ahead.

At least there are curved corners.

A lot of these simple deigns aren’t an issue for me if the glazing is good quality which since Adelaidian has been the case for smaller developments.

Algernon

#27 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:14 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:52 am
Algernon wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:56 pm
This is the point for me. This building represents a step change for the West End.

And although it's no design hero, I'm surprised its aesthetic seems to be receiving more critique than the SA1 tower for which I have nothing nice to say.
Well I think there's just a different set of things to talk about. With SA1, people appreciate what it represents and will be satisfied if the glazing sustains its form and prominence. Do that and it passes. But if it were a short stump, it wouldn't be winning any glass-box awards that's for sure.

I guess another thing going for this development which I didn't mention is the potential to open up the church grounds and makes it into a more inviting public space. The church is practically the oldest building in Adelaide (close to it) and for so long has seemed fenced off and closed. With additional public amenities in the area, it can really improve what is a kind of a dingy area next to a dingy bridge into a fully fledged square - flanked by heritage and modern buildings. While it doesn't form a meaningful throughfare for the wider area, the foot traffic going into a 40,000sqm office building will certainly sustain a public space by itself.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Jaymz » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm

I think this one looks pretty nice, especially form that render looking from the north.

If this one does get off the ground, then there's goes my argument for Adelaide needing to get our first true commercial skyscraper off the ground. Not that this is a skyscraper of course, but with 61,000sqm of lettable space, this one could've easily been a true 'scraper if in a different location on a smaller block. If you put those two towers on top of each other, minus one of the podiums then you'd imagine it could be around the 180 - 200 metre mark.

Algernon

#29 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:33 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm
I think this one looks pretty nice, especially form that render looking from the north.

If this one does get off the ground, then there's goes my argument for Adelaide needing to get our first true commercial skyscraper off the ground. Not that this is a skyscraper of course, but with 61,000sqm of lettable space, this one could've easily been a true 'scraper if in a different location on a smaller block. If you put those two towers on top of each other, minus one of the podiums then you'd imagine it could be around the 180 - 200 metre mark.
Yep, 61,000sqm lettable space is huge. About 2/3 of the Rialto Towers. If it were a more slender tower, it would be pushing 160m at the absolute minimum. In this case though, for the proposed uses, small floor plates wouldn't really work.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by HiTouch » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:55 am

Algernon wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:33 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Yep, 61,000sqm lettable space is huge. About 2/3 of the Rialto Towers. If it were a more slender tower, it would be pushing 160m at the absolute minimum. In this case though, for the proposed uses, small floor plates wouldn't really work.
How do they measure demand for specific sectors such as health? I can't imagine the size of this tower being a "health sector only" tower which is what they're marketing it as. Stand to be corrected though.