[U/C] Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#61 Post by Furyan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:53 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:01 am
Thanks Norm for the update.

This project serves well for future proofing local traffic movements particularly between McLaren Vale, Old Noarlunga and Seaford Heights.

However, what has been overlooked is the traffic movements between Adelaide and Victor Harbor. There needs to be a freeway standard road connecting these two cities. See attachment for proposed route.
At one stage I also felt that this direct route would be the best way to go but have since been convinced otherwise. I believe they would be unlikely to build a new section of road where Victor Harbor Rd would get the majority of benefit over Main South Rd especially considering south of where they currently both meet they carry a similar amount of traffic. For about the same amount of money the existing road could be upgraded and both would benefit from being non stop.

What would be required is flyovers to remove the lights at both the current end of the Southern Expressway and also at the Victor Harbor turnoff. A bridge would also be needed at the Seaford/Patapinda Rd intersections.

Since this section of road is the busiest 2+2 in all of Adelaide it would have to be widened. It needs a similar treatment to the recently finished section of the South Eastern Freeway between Crafers and Stirling. Make the stopping lane into the third lane and convert into a managed motorway (variable speed signs etc). The existing bridge over the Onkaparinga River is actually wide enough for 3+3 lanes.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:08 pm

Furyan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:53 pm

At one stage I also felt that this direct route would be the best way to go but have since been convinced otherwise. I believe they would be unlikely to build a new section of road where Victor Harbor Rd would get the majority of benefit over Main South Rd especially considering south of where they currently both meet they carry a similar amount of traffic. For about the same amount of money the existing road could be upgraded and both would benefit from being non stop.

What would be required is flyovers to remove the lights at both the current end of the Southern Expressway and also at the Victor Harbor turnoff. A bridge would also be needed at the Seaford/Patapinda Rd intersections.

Since this section of road is the busiest 2+2 in all of Adelaide it would have to be widened. It needs a similar treatment to the recently finished section of the South Eastern Freeway between Crafers and Stirling. Make the stopping lane into the third lane and convert into a managed motorway (variable speed signs etc). The existing bridge over the Onkaparinga River is actually wide enough for 3+3 lanes.
The current Bridge over the Onkaparinga River would need to be completely rebuilt. The current bridge has had patch up jobs for the last decade ( there is currently a Load limit imposed on it, Hence why the new electric railcars are going to Seaford depot via Mt compass and Strath )
The southern end of the expressway needs the corner adjusted badly, seen way to many trucks try to take it at speed only for the drivers side wheels to end up in the air and nearly tip the truck over (this has happened on multiple occasions).

Anther river crossing is urgently needed, Any significant accident on Sth, Victor Harbor or commercial Roads brings traffic to a standstill in this area.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by Archer » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:50 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:32 am
Just finished the progress video on Main South Road as well.

Link: https://youtu.be/nQc_9CwRQng
Thanks Norman, Love the video's you do for all these projects, nice to be able to see the projects evolve when they are too far away to actually visit on any sort of regular Basis. This one is finally in my area, so I'm getting to see a lot more of the constructions progress, even though I don't get out much.

I just wanted to point out that I think the additional funding promised by the new Labour government included aligning and grade separating the Aldinga and Aldinga Beach Road intersections instead of the Roundabout, as well as the full duplication to Sellicks Beach. I don't think there have been any renders of this made available yet and hopefully it doesn't get "forgotten", as this will really improve traffic flow and more importantly, safety in the area.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#64 Post by rev » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:03 pm

85trainfan wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:08 pm
The southern end of the expressway needs the corner adjusted badly, seen way to many trucks try to take it at speed only for the drivers side wheels to end up in the air and nearly tip the truck over (this has happened on multiple occasions).
Sounds like a problem with the drivers then, not the road?
Anther river crossing is urgently needed, Any significant accident on Sth, Victor Harbor or commercial Roads brings traffic to a standstill in this area.
Where would another road go?

Batlin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#65 Post by Batlin » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:53 am

Great video - there will be more to see in the next few weeks on both sites as work picks up. :D

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upg

#66 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:16 am

Furyan wrote:

If it really were about the same cost, it would be much better to go with the direct route immediately. VHR traffic would benefit from avoiding a detour (as well as grade separation) while there’d be much less traffic on Main South Road.

The cost of earthworks and a bridge (probably cable stayed) over the Onkaparinga Gorge means that in the short term we'll probably have to stick with the existing route. But VHR traffic levels will only increase, so eventually the direct route will be worth building.

Therefore I made a submission to the Hackham Code Amendment Consultation recommending a route for extending the Southern Expressway be determined and safeguarded.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#67 Post by alexczarn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:35 am

Aidan wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:16 am
Furyan wrote:

If it really were about the same cost, it would be much better to go with the direct route immediately. VHR traffic would benefit from avoiding a detour (as well as grade separation) while there’d be much less traffic on Main South Road.

The cost of earthworks and a bridge (probably cable stayed) over the Onkaparinga Gorge means that in the short term we'll probably have to stick with the existing route. But VHR traffic levels will only increase, so eventually the direct route will be worth building.

Therefore I made a submission to the Hackham Code Amendment Consultation recommending a route for extending the Southern Expressway be determined and safeguarded.
one of those options is going to get a lot more pushback because of the National Park...

Aidan

#68 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:28 am

…Hence my submission didn't include a line on a map, but rather a recommendation to work with NPWS to determine how to minimise the impact on the park.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#69 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:50 pm

Aidan wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:28 am
…Hence my submission didn't include a line on a map, but rather a recommendation to work with NPWS to determine how to minimise the impact on the park.
The best way to minimise impact on the park is to stick to the current alignment and look at other options to increase capacity or travel options.

Aidan

#70 Post by Aidan » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:50 pm
The best way to minimise impact on the park is to stick to the current alignment and look at other options to increase capacity or travel options.
If impact on the park were the only factor considered, that would be true. But there are other important considerations. A direct route would be significantly faster, at least a kilometre shorter, and would probably have gentler gradients.

SBD

#71 Post by SBD » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm

Aidan wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 pm
Norman wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:50 pm
If impact on the park were the only factor considered, that would be true. But there are other important considerations. A direct route would be significantly faster, at least a kilometre shorter, and would probably have gentler gradients.
I suspect that how steep the direct route is would be directly related to how much "they" (a.k.a. "we") are prepared to pay for the bridge.

I high-level bridge across the entire valley at hilltop level would not have much impact on the park below it. The total width is probably only the size of a single span of the Millau Viaduct.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by Archer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 am

Here's the link to the latest Newsletter for these projects:
https://fcalliance.com.au/assets/volume ... tter-3.pdf

Highlights are:
  • Site Compounds at Tatchilla Road and Pedlar Creek are almost complete
  • Closure of Maslin Beach Road at Main South Road from 21st August to allow for construction activities for the grade separation at this location. Closure expected until end of 2022
  • Sherriff Road to be closed in early 2023 for Intersection works
  • Changes to design based on Community feedback:
    • Two New U Turn Facilities between Malpas Road and Communication road
    • Traffic Lights planned for Espial Street (Seaford Heights residential development) are being moved to Bakewell drive to help with heavy vehicle movement from SRWRA Facilities
  • Concept Designs for alignment and grade separation of Aldinga & Aldinga Beach Roads as well as the Full duplication through to Sellicks are currently in development, community feedback to be sought in late 2022

ChillyPhilly

#73 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:28 pm

Aidan wrote:
Furyan wrote:

I made the same recommendation re: a possible southward extension of the Southern Expressway. I also roasted the proposed Amendment overall.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#74 Post by Furyan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:33 pm

Aidan wrote:
Furyan wrote:

Victor Harbor Rd and Main South Rd would both benefit from either a new or upgraded road.

It would depend on the needs and priorities of a future government which road if any is given the greater focus.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by Eurostar » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:11 pm