[U/C] Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Archer
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#91 Post by Archer » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:56 pm

A Traffic Switch Occurred on the Main South Road Duplication this week. From the morning of Thursday 20th April, all traffic has been shifted across to the new road between the Tatachilla/Masiln Beach Road intersection and Little road, just before Port road Aldinga.

I've also read on the SA Infrastructure & Transport Facebook page that another switch will occur from late May with traffic between Griffiths Drive and Pedlar Road being switched to the new south bound lanes while constructions begins on the north bound lanes.

Significant progress has also been made on the Pedlar Creek Bridge supports, it looks like all the supports will very soon be complete. Hopefully won't then be long until we start seeing bridge beams being lifted into place.

The Tatachilla/ Maslin Beach Road overpass is also now well advanced with most of the retaining panels now installed and the Bridge Supports looking like they will be complete in the next couple of months.

Good to see the progress happening through here.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#92 Post by Archer » Tue May 16, 2023 1:35 pm

A quick update on progress, the Bridge Beams for the overpass of Tatachilla/Maslin Beach Roads were installed at the beginning of the month. See the "Main South Road Action Group" Facebook Page for a selection of Photos.

Starting yesterday, the First Bridge Beams for the new Bridge over Pedlar creek have commenced installation.

I also believe the traffic switch from Griffiths Drive to Pedlar road is still scheduled to happen later this month (22nd I think, but there's still a fair bit of work to do to be ready that soon.)

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by PD2/20 » Wed May 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Archer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:35 pm
A quick update on progress, the Bridge Beams for the overpass of Tatachilla/Maslin Beach Roads were installed at the beginning of the month. See the "Main South Road Action Group" Facebook Page for a selection of Photos.

Starting yesterday, the First Bridge Beams for the new Bridge over Pedlar creek have commenced installation.

I also believe the traffic switch from Griffiths Drive to Pedlar road is still scheduled to happen later this month (22nd I think, but there's still a fair bit of work to do to be ready that soon.)
I saw a bridge beam trucked out of Bianco's and heading west on Grand Junction Rd yesterday afternoon. I was trying to figure out where it could be headed.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by Archer » Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:44 pm
Archer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:35 pm

I saw a bridge beam trucked out of Bianco's and heading west on Grand Junction Rd yesterday afternoon. I was trying to figure out where it could be headed.
Yes, this will be the likely destination and there will be a lot more of them to come. The bridge consists of 5 spans and at a guess it would require about 10 beams per span to create the deck. So all up something in the order of about 50 Beams should be required.

I'll try and get some decent photo's over the next couple of weeks, but viewing locations are not great or easy to get to and the weather doesn't look like it'll be co-operating for the next week or so either.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#95 Post by Norman » Tue May 30, 2023 11:43 am

It's taken me a while to get my new setup going, but I finally have finished editing footage from December 2022 for the Main South Road upgrade. I'll be heading down again in June, hopefully with a much shorter editing time :lol:

https://youtu.be/XpHfk9Akhd8

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by Archer » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:32 am

Norman wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:43 am
It's taken me a while to get my new setup going, but I finally have finished editing footage from December 2022 for the Main South Road upgrade. I'll be heading down again in June, hopefully with a much shorter editing time :lol:

https://youtu.be/XpHfk9Akhd8
Wow, a lot has changed in the last 6 months since you took that video. The progress with bridges, overpasses and traffic switches is quite impressive. However, there are some concerns being raised with the quality of the road surface. The most resent traffic switch between Griffiths Drive and Pedlar Creek was only weeks old when we started seeing patches of the new surface break up. Some of it has already been patched, other sections still have the sunken and broken up patches. It doesn't paint a good picture to have that happening already, even though the road isn't finished, it perhaps suggests insufficient base preparation?

I've also managed to grab a couple of Photo's of the Pedlar Creek Bridge. They are moving quite quickly with this now, the photo's below were taken on the 2nd and they are now weel progress with placing beams on the 3rd span (to the right of the crane). Not a lot of room for that crane to work either.....

Night works will also be commencing around Port Road Aldinga from the 13th to the 17th of June Weather Permitting to prepare for the next traffic switch. From the 17th of June, 5am, traffic will be switched to begin using the new bridge and signalised intersection at Port Road.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#97 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:01 am

Here's the latest progress video for Victor Harbor Road

https://youtu.be/EATfCjutIX8

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:37 pm

Looks like big work is close to starting on this section soon. Most of the time since the new road has owned, they've been upgrading the existing water pipes and other services. That finished recently and all ground is pretty much levelled out along the whole stretch so I can see the base layer at least laid in the next month.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:19 am

Here's the latest video of the Main South Road part of the project, and this time the footage is only a few days old :lol:

https://youtu.be/YwyGdbW2AEA

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#100 Post by neoballmon » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:31 pm

Night works started last week and they removed a chunk of the barriers, between the new roundabout and Noarlunga Ave.

Tonight, they were laying the first layer around the new roundabout

Edit: It seems the new Southbound lanes on Main South Road have opened to the east of the new underpass at Aldinga too. SA infrastructure & transport have posted a story on Facebook.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#101 Post by Archer » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Here's some updated pictures from the Pedlar Creek Bridge from the last month or so. Below that, links to further Photo's from the Recent Site Tour & 9 News Story. The Port Road Bridge also opened to Traffic on Tuesday this week, I haven't had a chance to go through the area yet, but there are some photo's in the Facebook post below. The better arial shots look like they got deleted from the SA Infrastructure and Transport Facebook page :(

View from Under the Bridges looking East. (1st July)

View looking West before any beams had been lifted into the last two spans. (5th July)

View from the Old bridge with the first of the final Spans having been lifted into place. (15th July)

Last time I went past a few days ago they had lifted 4 or 5 beams into the final span, so they may have completed all lifts by now (Edit: As of 21/7, there are 2 beams remaining to be lifted into place), if not they'd be very close and I have heard (might have been in the news item below) that the bridge may be complete and open to Traffic in September. I think that might be a little optimistic personally, but they also are not wasting time with this either....

Further photo's are available from the Main South Road Action Group Facebook page:
Main South Road Action Group Facebook Page - Site Tour Photos July 2023

Nine News Story: https://fb.watch/lTkpW9sMMD/

Bridge construction Highlights Reel from SA Infrastructure & Transport: https://fb.watch/lTkoMLhLr0/

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Archer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:01 pm

This week the final Beams for the Pedlar Creek Bridge were lifted into place.

Driving past this morning it looked like one section had already had its concrete surface laid and they were in the process of laying a second section with a concrete pump onsite actively pouring concrete.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by A-Town » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 pm

DIT are undertaking a planning study for Main South Rd from the Southern Expressway exit to Robinson Rd in Seaford.

Fill in the survey and provide your feedback here: https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... FiTleULYJI

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#104 Post by neoballmon » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:02 am

Done my survey. My key points were 3 lanes each way between the expressway, and a second turn right lane onto Griffiths Drive.
Also noted overpasses as long-term goals, but I'm doubtful they'll be within their budget scope for this area.

Also saw comments on their Facebook Post for people suggesting that they extend the Expressway to VH Road like I've seen suggested on here.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by neoballmon » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:14 am

It's also worth pointing out just how much growth this area has experienced. When they did the Victor Harbor Road Junction 10ish years ago, the finished works were great and held up capacity!
Prior to that, Victor Harbor Road northbound had one lane turning right through a stop sign, into their own lane. South Road northbound went from 2 lanes to 1, to join with the lane from Victor Harbor Road. This led to 2 lanes at the Seaford Road intersection - which may have actually been better than the merging disaster it is currently.

So anything done here needs to take into account that the area, but Aldinga especially, will continue to grow rapidly!