[U/C] Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#31 Post by rev » Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:42 pm
Since when has environmental impact statements ever got in the way of a politician or transport department proceeding with projects anyway?

Case in example, North East Link in Melbourne. The EIS is absolutely scathing of the project. A 16 lane freeway is still getting built anyway.
Isnt that the reason Eastlink has tunnels between Ringwood and Donvale? because of the impact to local ecosystems?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by Norman » Tue May 11, 2021 12:22 am

rev wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Since when has environmental impact statements ever got in the way of a politician or transport department proceeding with projects anyway?

Case in example, North East Link in Melbourne. The EIS is absolutely scathing of the project. A 16 lane freeway is still getting built anyway.
Isnt that the reason Eastlink has tunnels between Ringwood and Donvale? because of the impact to local ecosystems?
Eastlink (the extension of the Eastern Freeway to Dandenong) is a different project to the North East Link (connecting the Ring Road to the Eastern Freeway).

rev

#33 Post by rev » Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:22 am
rev wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

Eastlink (the extension of the Eastern Freeway to Dandenong) is a different project to the North East Link (connecting the Ring Road to the Eastern Freeway).
I know, I was just responding to the EIS comment.
They changed the plans in that section because of the EIS.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:38 pm

New plans have been released for the two upgrades, showing the final outcomes from the consultation and negotiations with the project team.

For Main South Road, the plans confirm the Tatachilla Road and Maslin Beach Road intersection will feature the overpass option, and at Port Road there will be an underpass, which has previously not been an option.

A roundabout will be installed at Aldinga Road.

The rest of Main South Road up to Sellicks Beach will have a "2+1" configuration.

For the Victor Harbor Road section, unfortunately this project has been scaled back. The 2+2 layout will only go as far as the existing McLaren Vale overpass, with a roundabout at Robinson and Quarry Roads.

For the remaining section between McLaren Vale and Willunga, a "planning study" will be undertaken. That is probably code for "we have run out of money, so we need to make a new business case for this section and put it forward to the government".

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:47 pm

The roundabout at Port Road and the 2+1 to the north was completed in around 2016.

While I know that further upgrades of South Rd are needed, why are sections that have been so recently upgraded being reworked? It screams of poor planning and reminds me of Oaklands Station, and I can see it currently happening on Port Wakefield Road where traffic lights are currently being installed. Frustrating.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by Archer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:54 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:38 pm
For the Victor Harbor Road section, unfortunately this project has been scaled back. The 2+2 layout will only go as far as the existing McLaren Vale overpass, with a roundabout at Robinson and Quarry Roads.

For the remaining section between McLaren Vale and Willunga, a "planning study" will be undertaken. That is probably code for "we have run out of money, so we need to make a new business case for this section and put it forward to the government".
I think the Original Plan only called for the duplication to go as far as the bridge over Tatachilla road anyway, less than 1.5Km further. I never understood the point of that, the Mclaren Vale Intersection makes a natural change over point and there is little advantage to taking the duplication just 1.5Km further just to merge back into single lanes again at a bridge. Better to complete the whole section from the McLaren Vale turn off to where the double lane starts again at the bottom of Willunga hill, all at once in a future stage. The Important part being not to have that Future be too far off, eg. have it ready to continue as soon as the rest of these Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road works are completed. This stretch should be comparatively pretty simple, so it shouldn't be hard to have it ready to go by 2024.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by Archer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:05 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:47 pm
The roundabout at Port Road and the 2+1 to the north was completed in around 2016.

While I know that further upgrades of South Rd are needed, why are sections that have been so recently upgraded being reworked? It screams of poor planning and reminds me of Oaklands Station, and I can see it currently happening on Port Wakefield Road where traffic lights are currently being installed. Frustrating.
Poor Planning is exactly what it was, if I recall correctly, there was a lot of opposition to the proposal back when it was built that was clearly ignored. At least this time around it looks like they have paid more attention to the community by including the 2 Grade Separations, one of which fixes the previous mistake.

The Treatment of Aldinga & Aldinga Beach roads could have been better but would have probably exceeded budgets excessively, so not really surprising. I suspect this will become the next bottle neck, particularly when the new development on the Western Side of Main South Road goes in.

Overall I think it's a pretty good result, for both Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:29 am

Keep Adelaide Weird

marbles
Gold-Member ;)

#39 Post by marbles » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:53 am

wowsers... a couple of huge bridges there at maslins and old port rd aldinga...a 20 to 30 years ahead strategy

victor rd cool too, one day they might link expressway to victor rd,south rd too..expressway to sellicks non stop, gawler to sellicks non stop i guess

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:29 pm

There are projects of far more pressing importance than the proposals for Main South Road. What a waste of money.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

marbles
Gold-Member ;)

#41 Post by marbles » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:29 pm
There are projects of far more pressing importance than the proposals for Main South Road. What a waste of money.
hmm hard to agree, theres a massive growth of population in this region and the road is actually super dangerous a lot of accidents towards aldinga and fatal ones too

enourmous land and estates on the way the population will double in next 20 years

rev

#42 Post by rev » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:24 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:29 pm
Whatever happened to the report of all the bridges that were in urgent need of repair or replacement?

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#43 Post by HeapsGood » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:11 pm

The roundabout at VH Rd and Quarry/Robinson road will be an absolute nightmare. Totally unnecessary. They should have invested in a RH turn from South Rd to VH road.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Spotto » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:42 pm

HeapsGood wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:11 pm
The roundabout at VH Rd and Quarry/Robinson road will be an absolute nightmare. Totally unnecessary. They should have invested in a RH turn from South Rd to VH road.
So instead of the roundabout, the money should've been spent on having cars from the Moana/Seaford Rise area and the growing Seaford Heights double back on themselves to an already existing choke point which will be expanded to accept even more cars?

The roundabout will serve Robinson Road which leads into the above areas and will become the only point for coastal traffic to cut across to Victor Harbor Road until all the way down to Aldinga Road at Willunga. Also, it will replace the right turns at Seaview Road, redirecting traffic to a roundabout which allows travel in all directions and is much safer for cars and winery freight and will remove traffic conflicts at Budgens Road.

The roundabout is a valuable and safer connection.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by Archer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:00 pm

Initial (Night) Works on the Pedler Creek Bridge to install monitoring sensors to monitor the condition of the bridge during construction of the new Bridge have commenced:
Fleurieu Connections
Pedler Creek Bridge Night Works
January 2022
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (the Department) is undertaking the installation of monitoring sensors. These sensors will be placed in strategic locations, allowing the Department to monitor the ongoing condition of Pedler Creek Bridge, whilst a new bridge is built as part of the Fleurieu Connections project.

In order to minimise the impact to road users, and to ensure the works can be completed safely and efficiently, these works will be undertaken each night from Monday, 10 January to Thursday, 20 January 2022, weather permitting. Hours of work are between 8pm and 6am.

To safely undertake these works, speed and lane restrictions will be in place during the works.

Some noise disturbance can be expected at times while the works are completed, however the work will be managed to minimise disturbance to nearby residents and businesses as much as practically possible.

Access to properties will be maintained throughout the works.

Please plan ahead, allow extra travel time and take extra care when workers are on site. Observe speed limits, lane restrictions and traffic controllers when travelling through the area.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to a member of the project team, please call 1300 794 880 or email [email protected]

The Department appreciates your cooperation and patience while these important works are carried out.

Yours sincerely

Community and Stakeholder Engagement Team

https://dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... _Works.pdf

Does anyone know how old this bridge is?