Adelaide Oval Expansion

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Oval Expansion

#16 Post by Jaymz » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:26 pm

I'd also imagine that aside from crowd numbers, the AFL would've been nervous about the possibility of an outbreak in S.A between now and the Grand Final. Seeing as we share a border with NSW and Victoria, the likelihood of that happening would be much higher than in W.A.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm

I also heard (but haven't verified) that the AFL had a number of people from Sydney and Melbourne they wanted to attend the event in person, to which SA Health flat out said "no".

ChillyPhilly

#18 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Perth Oval is quite overrated. It's nothing special, and won't age well. It's literally just...a stadium. No links to or honouring of the past.

Adelaide Oval brought massively restored confidence and pride to people of Adelaide and South Australia.

It also showed that it IS possible to retain heritage and history in a modern build. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Also regarding the decision to award the AFL GF to Perth and not Adelaide: capacity is the correct reason. Embarrassingly, the State Government's bid featured a capacity of 30,000. Ridiculous for a state where coronavirus barely exists.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

bits
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by bits » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:10 pm

Bob wrote: Incorrect.
Well this discredits any of your other remarks about Adelaide Oval immensely.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:28 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:11 am
It's the big round grassed area in the middle that's the bigger problem. All that space, for no more than 50 people. The capacity could be much higher if we filled in that gap.
Reupping this underrated comment.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#21 Post by rev » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:45 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm
I also heard (but haven't verified) that the AFL had a number of people from Sydney and Melbourne they wanted to attend the event in person, to which SA Health flat out said "no".
Then why do they have no problem letting in AFL teams and umpires throughout the year, and now raising crowd numbers right before the finals started this weekend, or the international tennis players last summer, who presumably will be returning this summer?

Why do they have no problem taking in hundreds of refugees from Afghanistan? Is the Taliban rolling out the vaccine better then we are here in Australia?
(disclaimer for the sooks, I 110% agree with taking in refugees)

Just more inconsistency.

And just on that inconsistency, we're making the Olympians quarantine when coming back to SA, after already quarantining in the dedicated facility in the NT. So, are we going to make everyone quarantine for a month before being allowed to freely move within our state?
Last edited by rev on Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rev

#22 Post by rev » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:44 pm
Bob wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:04 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 am
As Patrick alluded - the maximum ground capacity is completely irrelevant in this decision as in SA the crowd is currently limited to 20,000.

The Grand Final went to WA because they do not have the same capacity restrictions as SA - this is a product of the COVID situation and current health directives in each state and is the context under which Gillon McLachlan's comments were made.
Incorrect.
Which part?

The capacity for the Port game at the Oval tonight is 20,000. When this decision was made it was 15,000. Optus currently has no capacity restrictions.

The AFL had to decide whether to host a grand final at a 15,000 (at the time) capacity stadium or a 60,000 capacity stadium. Had the Oval been able to operate at full capacity the decision would have been between capacities of 53,500 and 60,000 which I suspect would have levelled the playing field considerably.
Apparently it was meant to be 26,500, then SA Gov changed their mind to 15,000, then upped it to 20,000.

rev

#23 Post by rev » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Christopher Pyne: Move the scoreboard, flatten the hill and build a new grandstand to turn Adelaide Oval into a true stadium

Christopher Pyne reckons Adelaide Oval will never host the AFL grand final ... unless we plug its “gaping hole” with a new northern grandstand. He even has a name in mind.

Christopher Pyne
@cpyne
4 min read
August 29, 2021 - 3:31PM

Covid-19 might stop the MCG being able to host the AFL grand final.

Listening to the cacophony of complaint last week about the game being slated to be played in Perth, rather than Adelaide, was mind-numbing to say the least.

While no one in South Australia wants to hear it, let me burst everyone’s bubble: So long as there is a bigger stadium available, the Adelaide Oval will never host the AFL grand final. Never. Period.

The reason the AFL headquarters chose Perth over Adelaide has nothing to do with the Vics hating the Croweaters. That’s passé rubbish.

It’s a convenient distraction from the truth. Adelaide Oval isn’t completed. It’s really that simple.

In case it has escaped people’s attention, let me point out the obvious. There’s a great big gap at the northern end of the oval opposite the Riverbank Stand where another stand should be. It’s air space in need of being filled.

It is possible Adelaide Oval could end up hosting the grand final this year, but only because WA Premier Mark McGowan might shut down Perth again because of the Covid-19-positive truck drivers who have been discovered in recent days in Western Australia. That won’t change the fact that the Adelaide Oval Stadium Authority needs to urgently address the unfinished business of finishing the oval and the gaping hole it creates in our complaints about not hosting the AFL grand final.

I have long argued that the grand final should be rotated around the AFL-playing states. It should be done that way as a matter of course.

While the MCG is a superb venue, there’s no rule in the book of common sense that says the grand final must always be at the MCG. But I can’t part the sea either.

The AFL leadership have decreed that the GF will always be at the MCG and sure, while it is a constant reminder that the AFL grew out of the VFL, it’s the way the competition has been set up and it doesn’t look like it’s going to change anytime soon.

It took a bat, a pangolin or a lab experiment in Wuhan to get the grand final moved in the first place, and I can’t see anyone arguing that we want a global pandemic to happen every now and again in order to share the hosting of the final of the national winter game around the states.

Regardless of the pandemic, the vagaries of interstate travel, the rules around quarantine or the actions of state premiers, the AFL will always look to maximise the number of spectators through the turnstiles at every game, especially the grand final.

Sport is business. It’s entertainment. It isn’t a charity. That means getting bums on seats – people who pay for the privilege of watching the game we love. You can get more bums on seats at Optus Stadium in Perth than you can at Adelaide Oval – 60,000 versus 53,500.

Adelaide Oval is fantastic. While, in my opinion, the “powers at be” may have overdone the number of names adorning the eastern stand, there’s no doubt that it is a first-class sporting venue and one that, despite all the naysayers, makes us immeasurably proud.

I’m sure the same will be said of the proposed multipurpose arena in years to come. But I do think Adelaide Oval can be improved. It should be completed.

At the risk of having to enter a witness protection program, I propose a new stand at the northern end.

There’s no doubt that a new stand could be designed to add an extra 6500 seats at least. We could call it the Cornes Stand (that should please the Crows and Power fans given the playing and coaching careers of Graham, Kane and Chad).

That would make Adelaide Oval the largest AFL stadium outside Melbourne in the land. A good designer should be able to plan it so it is constructed in front of the hundred-year-old fig trees that grow on the boundary behind the hill. I’m afraid there would be no more hill. Fans who want “the hill experience” at the cricket a few times a year would need to content themselves with sitting in a fabulous new bar with tonnes of atmosphere looking out at the cricket from an elevated stand so they can see the whole proceedings instead.

Now for the sacrilege.

The cricket scoreboard would have to be moved! I’m sorry if I’ve caused you to spill your Just Right all over the kitchen bench.

It’s in the way of the fourth and final piece in the completion of the Adelaide Oval stadium.

The truth is, much as we love it, and we do, I propose that it be deconstructed piece by piece and reconstructed outside the stadium in the gardens that surround the oval.

The modern Egyptians moved the Temple of Abu Simbel when it was threatened by the rising Nile River, so I’m sure we could all cope with the scoreboard becoming a terrific new monument to the heritage of our city.

Then we can lay claim to hosting anything we want on the sporting calendar and make Adelaide Oval, and our clubs that use it, even more viable and successful.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opi ... 03327028cf

The modern Egyptians moved the Temple of Abu Simbel when it was threatened by the rising Nile River, so I’m sure we could all cope with the scoreboard becoming a terrific new monument to the heritage of our city.
I'm not so sure many could cope. This is South Australia. :lol:

Patrick_27

#24 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:21 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm
Christopher Pyne: Move the scoreboard, flatten the hill and build a new grandstand to turn Adelaide Oval into a true stadium

Christopher Pyne reckons Adelaide Oval will never host the AFL grand final ... unless we plug its “gaping hole” with a new northern grandstand. He even has a name in mind.

Christopher Pyne
@cpyne
4 min read
August 29, 2021 - 3:31PM

Covid-19 might stop the MCG being able to host the AFL grand final.

Listening to the cacophony of complaint last week about the game being slated to be played in Perth, rather than Adelaide, was mind-numbing to say the least.

While no one in South Australia wants to hear it, let me burst everyone’s bubble: So long as there is a bigger stadium available, the Adelaide Oval will never host the AFL grand final. Never. Period.

The reason the AFL headquarters chose Perth over Adelaide has nothing to do with the Vics hating the Croweaters. That’s passé rubbish.

It’s a convenient distraction from the truth. Adelaide Oval isn’t completed. It’s really that simple.

In case it has escaped people’s attention, let me point out the obvious. There’s a great big gap at the northern end of the oval opposite the Riverbank Stand where another stand should be. It’s air space in need of being filled.

It is possible Adelaide Oval could end up hosting the grand final this year, but only because WA Premier Mark McGowan might shut down Perth again because of the Covid-19-positive truck drivers who have been discovered in recent days in Western Australia. That won’t change the fact that the Adelaide Oval Stadium Authority needs to urgently address the unfinished business of finishing the oval and the gaping hole it creates in our complaints about not hosting the AFL grand final.

I have long argued that the grand final should be rotated around the AFL-playing states. It should be done that way as a matter of course.

While the MCG is a superb venue, there’s no rule in the book of common sense that says the grand final must always be at the MCG. But I can’t part the sea either.

The AFL leadership have decreed that the GF will always be at the MCG and sure, while it is a constant reminder that the AFL grew out of the VFL, it’s the way the competition has been set up and it doesn’t look like it’s going to change anytime soon.

It took a bat, a pangolin or a lab experiment in Wuhan to get the grand final moved in the first place, and I can’t see anyone arguing that we want a global pandemic to happen every now and again in order to share the hosting of the final of the national winter game around the states.

Regardless of the pandemic, the vagaries of interstate travel, the rules around quarantine or the actions of state premiers, the AFL will always look to maximise the number of spectators through the turnstiles at every game, especially the grand final.

Sport is business. It’s entertainment. It isn’t a charity. That means getting bums on seats – people who pay for the privilege of watching the game we love. You can get more bums on seats at Optus Stadium in Perth than you can at Adelaide Oval – 60,000 versus 53,500.

Adelaide Oval is fantastic. While, in my opinion, the “powers at be” may have overdone the number of names adorning the eastern stand, there’s no doubt that it is a first-class sporting venue and one that, despite all the naysayers, makes us immeasurably proud.

I’m sure the same will be said of the proposed multipurpose arena in years to come. But I do think Adelaide Oval can be improved. It should be completed.

At the risk of having to enter a witness protection program, I propose a new stand at the northern end.

There’s no doubt that a new stand could be designed to add an extra 6500 seats at least. We could call it the Cornes Stand (that should please the Crows and Power fans given the playing and coaching careers of Graham, Kane and Chad).

That would make Adelaide Oval the largest AFL stadium outside Melbourne in the land. A good designer should be able to plan it so it is constructed in front of the hundred-year-old fig trees that grow on the boundary behind the hill. I’m afraid there would be no more hill. Fans who want “the hill experience” at the cricket a few times a year would need to content themselves with sitting in a fabulous new bar with tonnes of atmosphere looking out at the cricket from an elevated stand so they can see the whole proceedings instead.

Now for the sacrilege.

The cricket scoreboard would have to be moved! I’m sorry if I’ve caused you to spill your Just Right all over the kitchen bench.

It’s in the way of the fourth and final piece in the completion of the Adelaide Oval stadium.

The truth is, much as we love it, and we do, I propose that it be deconstructed piece by piece and reconstructed outside the stadium in the gardens that surround the oval.

Then we can lay claim to hosting anything we want on the sporting calendar and make Adelaide Oval, and our clubs that use it, even more viable and successful.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opi ... 03327028cf

I'm not so sure many could cope. This is South Australia. :lol:
His argument over capacity falls apart when its realised that the Gabba holds 11,500 less than AO.

That said, agree with his remarks regarding rotational GF vs. the MCG hosting it every year. That's a fucked arrangement that needs to be torn up, especially if it's to be said that the AFL is the national league.

I agree with his detailing on how you would go about a northern stand but I simply cannot support the idea at the cost of the history and atmosphere the northern end in its current form brings to the cricket season. I believe he only way one is ever going to convince people opposed to a northern stand is if the bay fig trees were to reach the end of their life and the scoreboard could be relocated to the surrounding gardens.

SBD

#25 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:10 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:45 pm
Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm
Then why do they have no problem letting in AFL teams and umpires throughout the year, and now raising crowd numbers right before the finals started this weekend, or the international tennis players last summer, who presumably will be returning this summer?

Why do they have no problem taking in hundreds of refugees from Afghanistan? Is the Taliban rolling out the vaccine better then we are here in Australia?
(disclaimer for the sooks, I 110% agree with taking in refugees)

Just more inconsistency.

And just on that inconsistency, we're making the Olympians quarantine when coming back to SA, after already quarantining in the dedicated facility in the NT. So, are we going to make everyone quarantine for a month before being allowed to freely move within our state?
It's the ones who quarantine in Sydney that have to do it again. Our most recent state lockdown was triggered by someone who arrived from overseas without virus, but had it by the time he left Sydney and arrived in Adelaide.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Bob » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:01 am

bits wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:10 pm
Bob wrote: Incorrect.
Well this discredits any of your other remarks about Adelaide Oval immensely.
Incorrect because the statement made was incorrect.

The SA Govt GF bid was for two scenarios (1) with crowd capping and (2) without crowd capping, Perth Stadium was still the preferred venue on commercial terms for the AFL, regardless of which scenario played out.

Secondly, unproven but speculative, the AFL would probably prefer their main product of the year be telecast from a completed stadium, not an incomplete stadium.

Thirdly, the groundswell behind the scenes has been building for some time, AO honeymoon period of 2014-17 as the latest fad is past, if you want to keep using terms like ‘the best stadium in Australia” then you need to walk the talk and move into the 2020’s with completion.

Lastly the hill is a mismatch of a heritage scoreboard next to a digital scoreboard next to ferals on the hill next to a family zone, hence the Chris Pyne article about moving the heritage scoreboard, flattening the hill and building a northern stand to complete the stadium.

The northern stand will happen eventually - just a case of when not if.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Bob » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:57 pm

My viewpoint on the redeveloped AO has never changed, everything that was done in the upgrade I am supportive of except the missing northern stand to complete the stadium.

It has always been my opinion that in the current form the stadium looks aesthetically unbalanced and mismatched at the northern end along with reducing the full crowd capacity potential of AO.

Obviously, many people disagree with my opinion, however there are many who also agree and I’m not referring to the average newspaper readers views but people who can influence an outcome.

I know it is upsetting to people on this forum, and on that basis, I will leave my opinion out of here by not posting any further comments to save angst.

Patrick_27

#28 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Bob wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:01 am
Secondly, unproven but speculative, the AFL would probably prefer their main product of the year be telecast from a completed stadium, not an incomplete stadium.
You're absolutely right, that is merely speculative and it's rubbish. If it wasn't to do with capacity issues, it would likely have more to do with the VFL (guised as the AFL) having had a long-standing disdain towards South Australia and the SANFL. Also, this constant calling Adelaide Oval 'incomplete' is pathetic, it is complete, there are no plans for a northern stand that exist, and as far as anyone is concerned the current redeveloped oval was designed with the preservation of the mound, scoreboard and Morton Bay fig trees. I'm sorry to burst your 'I'm right, you're wrong' argument, but you seem to be spinning a lot of loose facts for the sake of your personal opinion, and claiming that our reservations are the result of angst.

PeFe

#29 Post by PeFe » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:10 pm

How often would an expanded Adelaide Oval sell out 60,000 tickets each year? Once, twice if you're lucky.
And how much would a northern stand cost? $100 million?...$200 million?....

And if the quality of the stadium is an issue for the AFL then Brisbane would have never had it.......the Gabba is a dump, a mishmash of stands shoved together, missing sightlines.....worst stadium in Australia. Thank god it is being redeveloped for the Olympics !

Looking forward to the GF at Optus Stadium, a beautiful modern stadium, lets hope the weather is good.

ChillyPhilly

#30 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Any argument to build a northern stand is rubbish.

Any argument that Adelaide Oval is incomplete is rubbish.

Any argument that events don't come here because of the above is rubbish.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.