[U/C] 120 The Parade - Norwood - 8 levels - 30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] 120 The Parade - Norwood - 8 levels - 30m

#1 Post by Will » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 pm

Currently on public notification:

https://plan.sa.gov.au/have_your_say/no ... n?aid=2282
Application 21036230
Conservation and adaptive reuse of Local Heritage Items, building demolition, and construction of a multi-storey mixed-use building comprising residential apartments, offices, shops, and ancillary off-street parking.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: 120 The Parade - Norwood - 8 levels - 30m

#2 Post by SRW » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:33 pm

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.27.15 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.27.55 pm.png
Keeping the existing (local heritage) shopfronts and using redbrick is more effort than most developers make. Looks very reasonable, and hopefully quick to market. I wonder how many more developments we would see with a tram line.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Ho Really » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:20 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:33 pm
[...]
I wonder how many more developments we would see with a tram line.
Forget the tram line. If they continue to build 5-6-7 storey apartments along The Parade I would want an underground metro. This also should apply in many other places around the CBD where they should be building apartments on main roads. OK this is for another thread...

As for this development. It should have a Woolies on the ground level not more small shops. There are already plenty on The Parade. Parking should be underground as much as possible. My :2cents:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nort

#4 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 am

Ho Really wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:20 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:33 pm
[...]
I wonder how many more developments we would see with a tram line.
Forget the tram line. If they continue to build 5-6-7 storey apartments along The Parade I would want an underground metro. This also should apply in many other places around the CBD where they should be building apartments on main roads. OK this is for another thread...

As for this development. It should have a Woolies on the ground level not more small shops. There are already plenty on The Parade. Parking should be underground as much as possible. My :2cents:

Cheers
The Parade already has a big Foodland and Coles, with a Woolies 2km away and an Aldi 1.5km away. How many big supermarkets do you think are needed?

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:42 pm

150 car parks & 35 bike parks :sly:

(That's 2.2 car parks per apartment, and half a bike park, across 68 apartments)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6 Post by rev » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:30 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:42 pm

(That's 2.2 car parks per apartment, and half a bike park, across 68 apartments)
The reality is that most families have 2+ cars, and very few push bikes.

You're not going to build a project that doesn't reflect this.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:42 pm

That may be a bit misleading as it includes car parking for the retail and office tenancies. I read 42 bike parks btw. The report argues it's mid-point between minimum and maximum required, though I agree given it's on a Go-Zone in an inner city location parking demand should be reduced.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ho Really

#8 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 am
The Parade already has a big Foodland and Coles, with a Woolies 2km away and an Aldi 1.5km away. How many big supermarkets do you think are needed?
The more the merrier if the they continue to build apartments and increase the population around the Parade by 1000 or so. And why would you want to drive to Woolies at Marryatville and Aldi on Magill Rd (Norwood or Kensington Park) or worse still walk and do a big shop? Personally I couldn't give a stuff about Woolies as I seldomly shop there. Others may see it differently wanting another choice.

The position of this development is ideal but I think the developers prefer apartments and small leases.

Cheers

Patrick_27

#9 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:00 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:50 pm
Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 am
The more the merrier if the they continue to build apartments and increase the population around the Parade by 1000 or so. And why would you want to drive to Woolies at Marryatville and Aldi on Magill Rd (Norwood or Kensington Park) or worse still walk and do a big shop? Personally I couldn't give a stuff about Woolies as I seldomly shop there. Others may see it differently wanting another choice.

The position of this development is ideal but I think the developers prefer apartments and small leases.

Cheers
Your argument makes literally no sense... Why drive to the shops, fine. But also, why walk to the shops? What, so every apartment building should have a supermarket at the bottom so people don't have to go more than 5 metres beyond front door to do their weekly shop? Like Nort said, Norwood is already well and truly serviced by supermarkets and indecent grocers and such, why on earth would they need another supermarket at this end of the Parade?

Ho Really

#10 Post by Ho Really » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:00 pm
Your argument makes literally no sense... Why drive to the shops, fine. But also, why walk to the shops? What, so every apartment building should have a supermarket at the bottom so people don't have to go more than 5 metres beyond front door to do their weekly shop? Like Nort said, Norwood is already well and truly serviced by supermarkets and indecent grocers and such, why on earth would they need another supermarket at this end of the Parade?
Yes like every apartment block! Where do you get that idea from in my statement? If they continue to build apartments along the main part of the Parade between Osmond Terrace and Portrush Road and on both sides you'll probably want another supermarket, whether it is in this development or the next few. The population growth will allow it. In Europe under those apartments they have shops of all kinds yes, but they also have mini marts, small supermarkets run by the big operators. Here we are more suited to the larger stores. Perhaps you need to look a bit into the future Patrick? And that also goes for trams. Bite the bullit and go for an underground metro and start to think smart with eyes to the future. Above ground let only gas guzzlers, hydrogen and EVs run and rail underground and in their own grade-separated corridor. Makes sense?

Cheers

Patrick_27

#11 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:52 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Yes like every apartment block! Where do you get that idea from in my statement? If they continue to build apartments along the main part of the Parade between Osmond Terrace and Portrush Road and on both sides you'll probably want another supermarket, whether it is in this development or the next few. The population growth will allow it. In Europe under those apartments they have shops of all kinds yes, but they also have mini marts, small supermarkets run by the big operators. Here we are more suited to the larger stores. Perhaps you need to look a bit into the future Patrick? And that also goes for trams. Bite the bullit and go for an underground metro and start to think smart with eyes to the future. Above ground let only gas guzzlers, hydrogen and EVs run and rail underground and in their own grade-separated corridor. Makes sense?

Cheers
That's not how business works here, sure, governments can work on the whole 'build it and they'll come' philosophy, but business waits for the demand then goes about supply. And on the topic on underground rail, considering we're among the poorest of states in Australia, and we can't even get a CBD underground going, let alone electrified rail across the entire network, I don't see how it's realistic to look towards a future that it's likely to be over 100 years away in terms of suburban underground. Hell, Melbourne with the population of 4.4m has only started planning and funding elements of a suburban underground rail and even then, it's slow going with the first and smallest portions of it not expected to open until next decade and that's not taking into account the potential for a change in government and therefore change of agenda. I'm not stuck in the past, or fixated on the present, I see the future but I see a realistic future. And whilst that end of the Parade may well have another supermarket (Woolworths own the Norwood Hotel, so who knows what might happen), this one apartment building doesn't straight away justify the need for another supermarket.

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:38 am

Uhhhh Melbourne is about 5.1m people.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Algernon

#13 Post by Algernon » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:51 pm

If they're planning future transport around population numbers on the corridor, might want to account for a certain % of deaths owing to those bus doors opening into traffic
Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.27.55 pm.png

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:55 pm

Usual grumbles about height in InDaily, but the takeaway is that this is recommended for approval in tomorrow's SCAP. Also, new visualisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJoHKRHKnhU
Keep Adelaide Weird

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Allkai » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:48 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:

Norwood is already well and truly serviced by supermarkets and indecent grocers
Hate to think what they get up to.