PRO: Marion Road Level Crossing Removal Project | $200m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: PRO: Marion Road Level Crossing Removal Project | $200m

#46 Post by SRW » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:18 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:36 pm
While the corner shops are demolished, they should have taken the opportunity to build a pedestrian underpass from the square under Colley surfacing on Jetty Road.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
Why? Jetty Road/Moseley Square is a place for people not cars — we shouldn't send them underground.
Keep Adelaide Weird

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by neoballmon » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm

I'm not saying a shitty, narrow, dark underpass like in other areas.
Something pedestrian friendly, wide. Open cut all the way up the the street so the only covered part is directly under the road.

I agree it's a pedestrian area, but that doesn't mean they MUST be at surface level if it can improve their safety! I'd happily get off the beach and go through a short underpass to wind up under the road, than try and dart through constant traffic across 2 sides of a busy road!

Legally, in its current state, pedestrians are required to give way to cars. Many don't feel this is the case and will just go across the road. Thankfully it's at a corner so no car is driving 40/50/60 so the risk is minimal, but all it takes is one dickhead not watching where they're driving and there's a serious injury.

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm
I'm not saying a shitty, narrow, dark underpass like in other areas.
Something pedestrian friendly, wide. Open cut all the way up the the street so the only covered part is directly under the road.

I agree it's a pedestrian area, but that doesn't mean they MUST be at surface level if it can improve their safety! I'd happily get off the beach and go through a short underpass to wind up under the road, than try and dart through constant traffic across 2 sides of a busy road!

Legally, in its current state, pedestrians are required to give way to cars. Many don't feel this is the case and will just go across the road. Thankfully it's at a corner so no car is driving 40/50/60 so the risk is minimal, but all it takes is one dickhead not watching where they're driving and there's a serious injury.

That's massively over engineering a solution, when you could just give pedestrians priority over cars instead.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

PRO: Marion Road Level Crossing Removal Project | $200m

#49 Post by Vasco » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:35 pm

Giving right of way to vehicles does not work currently and reversing it to the opposite will not work either. As cars just keep on coming and so do pedestrians (kind of like when a roundabout doesn’t work to assist one or more particular entry point(s) during peak hour).

The area needs fixed and timer projected traffic lights which are on an auto timer to change every x amount of seconds (eg 30 second intervals) to allow constant free flowing traffic from both modes. It would also serve to reduce the need risk of pedestrians running the red when they know they only have to wait an additional 15 seconds for example.

The above is just an example of timing, obviously traffic modelling and surveys would identify the best timing and possible patterns at different time of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

#50 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:15 am

Sections of Jetty Road can and should be closed to cars.

Regardless, I don't see any need to grade separate the tram from Brighton Road.

Morphett, Cross, Marion, Goodwood and Greenhill Roads have far stronger arguments in their favour.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#51 Post by TrebleSketch » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:42 pm

Having that area be only for buses/trams/pedestrians would be ideal. Having car diversions around the place would be ideal, friend's workplace was demolished on the corner as they are building the new hotel (they've moved nearby for the time being).

Either that or can have a raised pedestrian walkway in the area at a minimum. Especially Moseley St, a raised east/west pedestrian walkway would make the whole area safer.

[Shuz]

#52 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:17 am

Lay off the red mitsubishis guys. Underpasses and overpasses are just never gonna happen anywhere along Jetty Road.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by A-Town » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:47 pm

TrebleSketch wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:42 pm
Having that area be only for buses/trams/pedestrians would be ideal. Having car diversions around the place would be ideal, friend's workplace was demolished on the corner as they are building the new hotel (they've moved nearby for the time being).

Either that or can have a raised pedestrian walkway in the area at a minimum. Especially Moseley St, a raised east/west pedestrian walkway would make the whole area safer.
Yep, at a bare minimum the corner at Colley Tce should be a raised pedestrian crossing. Even now half the time cars already give way to pedestrians, despite the large signs saying 'pedestrians give way to vehicles'. Let's hope something changes once the development on the corner is complete.

The design of the end of Moseley St needs a major rethink.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by SRW » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:05 pm

Back to topic, if each of Morphett, Marion and Cross are done, will it be two bridges or one long skyrail? I've wondered how that might factor into the redevelopment masterplan for Morphettville.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#55 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:34 am

Two bridges. My understanding is that a new short rail bridge will be created across Sturt River to create a new entry access point to the Glengowrie Tram Depot. Although I don't see how they can do this without property acquisition or closing off the Maxwell Terrace bridge altogether.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#56 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:18 am

[Shuz] wrote:Two bridges. My understanding is that a new short rail bridge will be created across Sturt River to create a new entry access point to the Glengowrie Tram Depot. Although I don't see how they can do this without property acquisition or closing off the Maxwell Terrace bridge altogether.
Or the Glengowrie depot will be closed, with a new one in Hindmarsh.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by Saltwater » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am

Without knocking down the Entertainment Centre, where is there room for a tram depot at Hindmarsh?

Llessur2002

#58 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 am

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am
Without knocking down the Entertainment Centre, where is there room for a tram depot at Hindmarsh?
Presumably there are multiple options along Port Road - the old Coca Cola factory, the ES Wigg site, the brewery...

ChillyPhilly

#59 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:45 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 am
Saltwater wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am
Presumably there are multiple options along Port Road - the old Coca Cola factory, the ES Wigg site, the brewery...
Or even along Manton Street off a spur line.

[Shuz]

#60 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:47 pm

The open air carpark at 58-66 Manton Street would seem like the most feasible and likely option for a new tram depot at Hindmarsh. It would be logical to extend the line down Port Road, hook left into Milner Street and have a stop there That can service Coopers Stadium and the Education Development Centre and then a short stub along either along Manton Road or Orsmond Street to the new depot.