AFL Magic Round in Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

AFL Magic Round in Adelaide

#1 Post by Cryptic » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: AFL Magic Round in Adelaide

#2 Post by Jaymz » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:50 pm

All mainland states besides Victoria are pitching for this.

This is a pretty dumb idea and if it does happen, it would have to be in a state with two venues of suitable capacity. Which means might as well already hand it to NSW because they have the SCG and ANZ stadium.

That is unless QLD is ready to stump up more cash, which it mostly comes down to. They have the GABBA and Metricon. Not really workable in SA or WA.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:50 pm
All mainland states besides Victoria are pitching for this.

This is a pretty dumb idea and if it does happen, it would have to be in a state with two venues of suitable capacity. Which means might as well already hand it to NSW because they have the SCG and ANZ stadium.

That is unless QLD is ready to stump up more cash, which it mostly comes down to. They have the GABBA and Metricon. Not really workable in SA or WA.
Yeah - surely it goes to NSW next year.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 pm

WA has two major stadiums, Optus and WACA. WACA is still in use.

The AFL wants to grow the game outside of the traditional states, that is Victoria and SA mainly.
If it happens, it's probably going to go to Queensland or NSW, to try portray the "national competition" image further.
NSW has the SCG and the Showgrounds stadium.
NSW our most populace state and SE Qld one of the fastest if not the fastest growing region in Australia.

But if we did get it, they could use regional grounds like they have for pre-season comps before.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Jaymz » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:56 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 pm
WA has two major stadiums, Optus and WACA. WACA is still in use.

The AFL wants to grow the game outside of the traditional states, that is Victoria and SA mainly.
If it happens, it's probably going to go to Queensland or NSW, to try portray the "national competition" image further.
NSW has the SCG and the Showgrounds stadium.
NSW our most populace state and SE Qld one of the fastest if not the fastest growing region in Australia.

But if we did get it, they could use regional grounds like they have for pre-season comps before.
Unfortunately S.A's importance in the AFL had diminished over time. I used to (rightly) think that we were a powerhouse of the code, but in reality the non-traditional AFL states of of NSW and QLD have the same number of teams as SA and WA, granted, alot of that has to do with population.

I mean, just look at the Grand Final for the past two years. One was played in Perth and the other in Brisbane. Of course there are circumstances that lead to those two years being played in those two cities, but could also argue that S.A's influence in the AFL is on the slide. If covid had happened back in the 90's, you'd be pretty certain that Adelaide would've been the logical place to have a GF outside of Melbourne, in fact, it wouldn't have even been an argument.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by SBD » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:39 pm

AFLW and SANFL play at grounds other than Adelaide Oval. Wikipedia says Norwood Oval capacity is 22,000, Prospect 20,000, Elizabeth 18,000. https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp/afl/results lists crowd sizes and there seem to be a couple of matches each round that haven't made it that big (sometimes not even half way). I imagine that with all games in one city, there'd be a few with lower attendance.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Goodsy » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:38 pm

You could do a Showdown that round which would save a ground for another game. Presumably Adelaide Oval would be used atleast twice, probably Thursday and Saturday night

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by cocoiadrop » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:15 pm

Are the other grounds capable of the security and setup required for an AFL game? I realise they have AFLW at Norwood/Richmond/Unley etc but the crowds are certainly nowhere as big. I may just be thinking of an issue that doesn't really exist!

[Shuz]

#9 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:41 pm

Could Santos Stadium possibly be used if they temporarily installed grass over the athletics track?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:31 pm

Surely Adelaide Oval would be used for night games Thursday-Saturday, and then a afternoon game on the Sunday at a minimum? Maybe an afternoon game on the Saturday too? Potentially that's five games done.

But honestly, what's the likelihood that it would be held in Adelaide?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by A-Town » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:39 pm

I'd say Adelaide Oval would be used at least 6 times. Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday early, Saturday night, Sunday early and Sunday night, with the remaining three games played at suitable suburban venues.

This concept is based off the NRL's Magic Round which has all games played at the one venue, and I think the AFL would want to squeeze as many games into the one venue as possible, noting that AFL matches go for three hours compared to the NRL's two.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:35 pm

I wonder how the turf would go with potentially 6 games over a weekend. I think it would be more or less fine if the weather was dry. A wet weekend could mean it would be utterly trashed by the end of it all
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:39 pm

So Adelaide has been successful in winning this :lol:

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by Cryptic » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:55 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/ ... und!837171

Awesome news! SA will put on a great event.

[Shuz]

#15 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:30 am

This is an absolute massive win and tourism coup for Adelaide. So excited and can't wait to watch a few games!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.