[PRO] New Adelaide Aquatic Centre | $135M

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: New Adelaide Aquatic Centre | $135M

#16 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:47 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 pm
I genuinely want to know what makes this aquatic centre "world class". Just looked up the definition of world class, Miriam Webster defines it as being "of the highest calibre in the world". If I was a swimmer, what would draw me to this aquatic centre over other places?

There are some really nice ones around the world these days:
https://www.redbull.com/au-en/coolest-s ... the-world
https://traveltriangle.com/blog/indoor- ... he-world/
Your first list reminds me how much I wish we had an ocean pool in Adelaide.
Keep Adelaide Weird

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:25 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:55 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 pm
I genuinely want to know what makes this aquatic centre "world class". Just looked up the definition of world class, Miriam Webster defines it as being "of the highest calibre in the world". If I was a swimmer, what would draw me to this aquatic centre over other places?

There are some really nice ones around the world these days:
https://www.redbull.com/au-en/coolest-s ... the-world
https://traveltriangle.com/blog/indoor- ... he-world/

I don't want to bring my friends from interstate to a "misty due to the warm urine" style indoor city pool that the aquatic centre is known to be. If it's not world class, then why not just call it what it is: a high quality renovated community pool? There's nothing wrong with calling it that if thats the function. Why disappoint people with this over-the-top branding?
Because this state government (like many tbf) are obsessed with hyperbole. The Premier constantly talks everything up - even the most basic policies and projects. It’s a symptom of his underlying hollowness.
They’re really shooting themselves in the foot. Everyone will be disappointed and then they’ll have to play the “justify why they spent such money” game like they’ve done with other overhyped projects which will make them unpopular. I’m not against the revamp, I like the design and it answers all the problems that the old one had. It’s not world class though. Adelaide doesn’t have a “world class swimming facility”. We could and we should.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:16 pm

There's been a pair of Liberal party hacks parked at the entrance of the centre on weekend mornings for the past month pretending to be grassroots petitioners to "save our kids' swimming lessons" (none of their signs mention the party they're from, the only give away is the legally required "Authorised by D Spiers" in as small type as they can get away with). They're like chuggers, trying to stop everyone as they go through the door.

The Scooter Guy

#19 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:06 pm

I wish the centre would allow for expansion to accommodate a 'Wave Pool' for instance.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

abc
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by abc » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:56 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:06 pm
I wish the centre would allow for expansion to accommodate a 'Wave Pool' for instance.
wave pools exist in places that either don't have beaches or don't have waves (eg Darwin)

if you want waves then drive to Aldinga

[Shuz]

#21 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:39 pm

Not everyone has the means to be able to drive to Aldinga.

We should have a wave pool in Adelaide, that'd be pretty cool. However, I think that would be best left to the private market to determine, not the government.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Pistol » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:12 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:16 pm
There's been a pair of Liberal party hacks parked at the entrance of the centre on weekend mornings for the past month pretending to be grassroots petitioners to "save our kids' swimming lessons" (none of their signs mention the party they're from, the only give away is the legally required "Authorised by D Spiers" in as small type as they can get away with). They're like chuggers, trying to stop everyone as they go through the door.
Their petition is to keep the centre open while building the new one.
When I asked if this was actually feasible, they had no idea...
And my second question was who do they represent. They lost credibility when they said the Liberal Party.

Now, to get peace and quiet when I walk past, I need to say 'already signed your petition mate' :wallbash:
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Nathan

#23 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:01 pm

Pistol wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:12 pm
Nathan wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:16 pm
Their petition is to keep the centre open while building the new one.
When I asked if this was actually feasible, they had no idea...
And my second question was who do they represent. They lost credibility when they said the Liberal Party.

Now, to get peace and quiet when I walk past, I need to say 'already signed your petition mate' :wallbash:
You're lucky they actually said where they're from. I get the argument, but it's the complete lack of any disclosure of who they are while trying to appear as concerned parents that makes me very cynical.

Nathan

#24 Post by Nathan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:31 pm

Had a thought whist at my boy's swimming lessons today — what if they kept the roof? The current aquatic centre is unique in that because of the way it was built, the roof is actually completely seperate from the rest of the facility. They could remove all the pools, the ancillary buildings, stands, and HVAC, and just leave the roof as a super sized open pavilion.

The council would get the benefit of the existing solar array, and it would make a section of parklands useful during inclement weather (both in winter and summer). Extend the grass and landscaping underneath, even extend the playground. Have a large number of bbqs underneath, and families won't have to fight over who gets the tiny little shelters that are usually seen around our parks. Would even make a great location for pop-up markets.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Ben » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:52 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:31 pm
Had a thought whist at my boy's swimming lessons today — what if they kept the roof? The current aquatic centre is unique in that because of the way it was built, the roof is actually completely seperate from the rest of the facility. They could remove all the pools, the ancillary buildings, stands, and HVAC, and just leave the roof as a super sized open pavilion.

The council would get the benefit of the existing solar array, and it would make a section of parklands useful during inclement weather (both in winter and summer). Extend the grass and landscaping underneath, even extend the playground. Have a large number of bbqs underneath, and families won't have to fight over who gets the tiny little shelters that are usually seen around our parks. Would even make a great location for pop-up markets.
Not a bad idea.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Saltwater » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:31 am

The thought of young families enjoying themselves at playgrounds or having bbq's on their patch infuriates the North Adelaide boomer set. They would never allow it.

jordan85
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by jordan85 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:18 am

Nathan wrote:

I think the roof is the biggest problem with the current centre, I remember news stories of pieces of tile falling from the roof and nearly impaling swimmers.

Patrick_27

#28 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:12 pm

jordan85 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:18 am
Nathan wrote:

I think the roof is the biggest problem with the current centre, I remember news stories of pieces of tile falling from the roof and nearly impaling swimmers.
Which is strange because they only replaced the roof about five years ago.

Llessur2002

#29 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:58 am

It looks OK I guess and the water slides are a good addition but I prefer the current layout where all of the pools are in the same area, as opposed to a segregated layout (just personal preference though).

Moving the leisure pools outside feels like a bit of a step backwards from what we have now. I can't see much provision for shade other than a small section of the pool so buttering the whole family up with sunscreen just for an hour's swimming in summer feels like a bit of a faff. Then for six months of the year it'll be too cold to use them at all. It's a shame they couldn't roof the whole thing again.

The existing roof structure is actually pretty amazing and in some ways I'm surprised there weren't any feasible options to work with what's already there.
Fresh look at the new Adelaide Aquatic Centre

New images have been released giving South Australians a first look at the new Adelaide Aquatic Centre, with early works expected to begin in days.

Construction on the new centre, which will be complete with outdoor areas and water slides, is planned to start in August. Picture: SA Government

The current centre will close for at least 16 months from August 1 next year during the $135m building project, which is not due to be completed until summer 2025-26.

The new centre – which will be powered using 100 per cent renewable energy – will have water slides, an indoor 50m pool, splash zones, learn to swim pool and external 25m pool and outdoor play area.

Improved community change rooms, a gym, fitness facilities, spa, sauna and steam room are also included.

The State Commission Assessment Panel has approved the sustainable designed centre in Park 2 at North Adelaide.

Premier Peter Malinauskas said he was excited to see the “transformative piece of community infrastructure” start to take shape.

“We’re establishing a brand new facility that sets us up for decades to come,” Mr Malinauskas said.

“We’re willing to make that tough decision for a temporary closure knowing that it results in a better long-term outcome which the whole community will benefit from more broadly.”

New concept images for the new Adelaide Aquatic Centre have been released, showing the indoor 50m pool, learn to swim pool, and the splash zones, as well as, the external 25m pool and outdoor play area. Picture: SA Government

“We’re confident this stunningly designed centre will deliver a much better outcome for people, and for the park lands.”

Opposition sports and recreation spokesman Vincent Tarzia said that closing the existing centre would break a Government promise.

“Before the election, the Government said that the current Aquatic Centre would remain open while the new one is being built,” Mr Tarzia said.

“So for 16 months, people don’t have any Aquatic Centre at all.”

However, a Government spokeman said there was no pledge that the existing facility wouldn’t close – only that the new Aquatic Centre would be built either on the same site or adjacent.

Sarah Constructions will build the $135 million environmentally friendly centre, which will also result in 1000 square metres of land being returned to the parklands.

A total of $20 million has been allocated by the Adelaide Council to return the space back to the parklands once the old centre is demolished.

The centre will have an indoor 50m pool. Picture: SA Government

Construction on the centre is set to commence in August next year. Picture: SA Government

Lucy Hood, member for Adelaide, said the new centre would be a “game changer” for the community.

“We’ll have more park lands, more pools, more places for family and friends to gather and for children to play,” she said.

“We’ve sought to minimise that through an innovative solution that itself will deliver longer term benefits for other suburban swimming centres,” he said.

The government announced on Sunday that 30 Learn to Swim centres would be used as alternative venues from July next year while the centre was closed after consultation with more than 100 groups.

Mr Malinauskas said the government would also invest in three other existing pool centres at The Parks, Burnside and Unley to enbale them to operate for longer hours, and establish a hotline for people to find alternative swimming facilities.

Norwood Swimming Club president Scott Simpson said it had about 300 members who train at the Aquatic Centre each night, from junior levels to the national squad.

“The problems that may have been foreseen have been solved, and it looks like we do have temporary homes while the centre is being built,” Mr Simpson said.

Prospect resident Ali Blake said her family was “really excited” for the new development.

“We come here every Sunday morning. I’ve got the two children who do lessons every week, then through school holidays we come and play here in the hot weather,” she said.

“They’ve got a great centre down at Marion, but this side of the city, it is time for us to have a great centre, too.”

The government is undertaking an expression of interest process in early 2024 so families can nominate their preferred venue.

Placements are expected to be offered in April 2024.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... d4a9804a41

Nort

#30 Post by Nort » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:05 am

Design feels like it's trying too hard to be modern to the point that it will date really quickly. Some real 70s vibes.