#Official Tourism Thread (General/Not Individual Projects)

All other development discussion.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#Official Tourism Thread (General/Not Individual Projects)

#1 Post by PeFe » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 am

I started this thread for a discussion about tourism in Adelaide/South Australia.

Subject matters here should be of a general nature, individual projects should be discussed in their appropriate forums.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #Official Tourism Thread (General/Not Individual Projects)

#2 Post by PeFe » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:32 am

Now this is the sort of good overseas publicity Adelaide needs, especially in a newspaper like the Wall Street Journal where the readership has money to travel (and for Americans, likely to actually leave the United States on long flights)

From The Wall Street Journal
The Adelaide Botanic Garden, part of an ‘emerald necklace,’ or ring of parkland, that surrounds the city center.

Why Adelaide Might Secretly Be Australia’s Coolest City, According to Insiders
Sydney and Melbourne might pull in more tourists but Adelaide has quietly made its name as a go-to escape for gastronomes and nature lovers.
By Emily Pennington / Photographs by Sia Duff for The Wall Street Journal

THE CAPITAL of South Australia, Adelaide offers an almost utopian alternative to the typical urban sprawl. A moat of lush parklands surrounds a one-square-mile city center full of shops and restaurants. Beyond that, leafy suburbs give way to the Adelaide Hills, where koalas roam, and to the sea.

Despite such a compact footprint, the city packs a serious culinary punch, thanks in part to easily accessed fresh seafood, the region’s profusion of produce and the nearby vineyards of the Barossa Valley. Recently, transplant chefs from China and Vietnam have infused the petite city of just over a million people with diverse flavors. Best of all, it’s supremely easy to wander Adelaide by foot, stumbling upon discoveries while enjoying long, post-food-coma strolls.

Below, recommendations from our panel of local insiders.

Lunchtime at Osteria Oggi, a popular restaurant known for its sophisticated way with local produce.

The Chef: Justin James
Executive chef at the award-winning Restaurant Botanic

Bar Peripheral: There isn’t a menu here, just an outstanding bartender who cares more than most. Vini is always there, tailoring drinks based on what you like. That said, you can never go wrong with a Negroni or a Manhattan.

Osteria Oggi: A popular spot in Adelaide with a wine list stacked with local producers and a menu showcasing South Australia’s incredible produce.

Retro Room: My go-to store for all things midcentury. New items come in every week, all of which are in prime condition and at a great price. Recently, I picked up a rocket lamp from the 1970s.

Room on Fire: If I have a vintage itch to scratch this is the place. It is always a trip down memory lane, seeing clothing from the ’90s.

Hey Jupiter, one of the cafes that inspire local coffee snobs to claim that Adelaide boasts the best brew in Australia.

The Architect: Max Pritchard
Founder and director of Max Pritchard Gunner Architects

North Terrace: This is the city’s cultural boulevard with the art gallery, museum and parliament house reflecting the prosperous years of the colony. One street over is great shopping and just beyond that is the River Torrens.

Adelaide Oval: It’s unique to have a stadium so close to the city center. The Oval is often referred to as the most beautiful sporting grounds in the world (not just by Adelaidians), with its backdrop of St. Peter’s Cathedral and the River Torrens.

Queen’s Theatre: It’s the oldest intact theater on mainland Australia, built in 1840. Carefully restored, it hosts concerts and exhibitions.

Hey Jupiter: We snobbily say we have the best coffee in Australia. Hey Jupiter, on the East End, is one of my favorites.

Henley Beach, a 20-minute drive from downtown Adelaide.

The Fashionista: Adut Akech Bior
Model and global activist

The Parade: This street is great for shopping. The city’s fashion scene overall prioritizes comfort—people are pretty laid back. After checking out the area’s shops, head to San Churro, my favorite dessert place.

Henley Beach: If someone had a week to spend near Adelaide, I would recommend heading to the nearby beaches—this is one of my favorites.

Sequoia Lodge: This spot in the Adelaide Hills is one of my favorite getaways. It has amazing views, food and wine—make sure to order the King George whiting with butter-kombu sauce.

Adelaide Botanic Garden: It’s my little sister’s and my favorite place to go and have a picnic. I also love combining it with a visit to the nearby Art Gallery of South Australia.

Dillons Bookshop on the Parade, east of the city, adjacent to lots of other ‘cute spots,’ according to one of our insiders.

The Mixologist: Callan Fleming
Co-owner of Privée, a bottled-cocktail company

Hades Hula House: This spot recently moved into the city and is killing it with its resort-style cocktails, especially the 1934 Zombie. The brand new La Louisiane just opened and is also absolutely worth dropping into; my pick is the Boulevardier.

Dillons Bookshop: Dillons, on the Parade, has such a wonderful collection of books and every section has something that’s just a little bit off-kilter. Plus, there are tons of other cute spots to check out around there.

Udaberri: This is a beloved institution that you can’t miss, with excellent tapas, delicate wines, beers on tap and brilliant classic cocktails year round.

Prospect Road: Explore this rejuvenated high street by hitting up Meze Mazi for dinner, then Anchovy Bandit for cocktails.

Many of the city’s cultural institutions can be found on North Terrace

Plus, Don’t Miss…
Golden Boy: Located a stone’s throw from the designer shops of Rundle Mall, this hip, dimly lit Thai spot serves up mouthwatering seafood and curries amid vintage paintings and quirky murals.
Dangerfield: A 1970s-inspired dress shop that doubles as a hub for the stylishly punk, this alternative, Melbourne-based brand has reasonably priced pieces and a centrally located branch on Rundle Street.
Vibe Hotel: A new addition to Adelaide’s hotel lineup, this contemporary gem offers soaking tubs with city views and a lovely breakfast menu.
House of Health: From handmade rose geranium soap to vegan chocolate bars, peruse the enormous selection of wholesome goods at this Central Market stall.

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/wh ... s-bc18a459