News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
abc
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2716 Post by abc » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:45 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:26 pm
Montefiore Hill was never going to be tall enough to have an unimpeded view of the city forever
the only thing that's impeding it is the oversized football stands built in the parklands

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2717 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 pm

:arrow: I'm annoyed that my view of buildings is blocked by some buildings.

abc
Legendary Member!

#2718 Post by abc » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 pm
:arrow: I'm annoyed that my view of buildings is blocked by some buildings.
you obviously have no appreciation for aesthetics

Nort

#2719 Post by Nort » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:21 am

Counterpoint, as long as The Hill is open I think the view looks fantastic from Lights Vision. Walking or even driving there when the stadium is being used is such an amazing and unique sight.

Patrick_27

#2720 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:02 pm

I take abc’s point. But I think the modern day perception of what ‘Light’s vision’ was is somewhat redundant nowadays. First of all, trying to accurately assert what his long-term vision for Adelaide is/was is like trying to assert any truth in religious text such as the bible; it’s all a manifestation of much simpler ideas from simpler times. Secondly, Light’s vision wouldn’t have factored in the vast scale that civilisation has advanced since his time (be it town planning, architecture, societal needs etc). We also forget that Light was employed to design Adelaide, it was a contracted job like any other, I think almost 200 years since he designed Adelaide he wouldn’t be thinking from the grave: “how dare they change this or that!” if anything Light would most likely be blown away by just how far town planning has come since his time.

abc
Legendary Member!

#2721 Post by abc » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:31 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:02 pm
I take abc’s point. But I think the modern day perception of what ‘Light’s vision’ was is somewhat redundant nowadays. First of all, trying to accurately assert what his long-term vision for Adelaide is/was is like trying to assert any truth in religious text such as the bible; it’s all a manifestation of much simpler ideas from simpler times. Secondly, Light’s vision wouldn’t have factored in the vast scale that civilisation has advanced since his time (be it town planning, architecture, societal needs etc). We also forget that Light was employed to design Adelaide, it was a contracted job like any other, I think almost 200 years since he designed Adelaide he wouldn’t be thinking from the grave: “how dare they change this or that!” if anything Light would most likely be blown away by just how far town planning has come since his time.
You don't have to throw shade on the Bible to make your point.

I remember a friend getting wedding photos at Light's vision site many years ago. I guess it was a good spot for such photos then. It just isn't now.

Ho Really

#2722 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 am

abc wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:31 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:

I remember a friend getting wedding photos at Light's vision site many years ago. I guess it was a good spot for such photos then. It just isn't now.
I agree with you about Adelaide Oval ruining the view. The asymetrical stands and naked (unfinished) exterior is a blight. Architecturally it is a failure. As for the rest we will not know what the skyline will look like in years to come and whether that will improve the vista or not. Image

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2723 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:06 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 am
abc wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

I agree with you about Adelaide Oval ruining the view. The asymetrical stands and naked (unfinished) exterior is a blight. Architecturally it is a failure. As for the rest we will not know what the skyline will look like in years to come and whether that will improve the vista or not. Image

Cheers
Would you prefer a boring cookie cutter stadium with no character?

Ho Really

#2724 Post by Ho Really » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:30 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:06 pm
Give me an example of a cookie cutter stadium? Plus the no character.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

abc
Legendary Member!

#2725 Post by abc » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:02 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Ho Really wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 am
abc wrote:

Cheers
I don't think you know what a cookie cutter stadium is.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#2726 Post by Jaymz » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:39 am

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:30 am
Brucetiki wrote:
Give me an example of a cookie cutter stadium? Plus the no character.

Cheers
Optus Stadium, Perth

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2727 Post by rev » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:04 pm

Optus Stadium shits on Adelaide Oval.

You have to take your head out of the Torrens to see things for how they are.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2728 Post by Mpol02 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 am

Dick measuring over stadiums. In two different cities.

🫠

ChillyPhilly

#2729 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:02 am

rev wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:04 pm

I've been to Optus Stadium. Not bad, but it won't stand the test of time. Adelaide Oval has a sense of class, time, connection and character that Optus does not. For these reasons, AO edges it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2730 Post by rev » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:28 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:02 am
rev wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:04 pm

I've been to Optus Stadium. Not bad, but it won't stand the test of time. Adelaide Oval has a sense of class, time, connection and character that Optus does not. For these reasons, AO edges it.
I don't believe Adelaide Oval is shit. I don't like it, as I've said before, I think the stands size/heights should have been uniform, no gaps, and a northern stand built, but it's obviously leaps and bounds light years ahead of what was there previously.
The nolstagia or whatever that South Australian's feel with Adelaide Oval, the hill, the old scoreboard and some fig trees, is small town mentality.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if South Australian's collectively, want Adelaide to be a big city, then this mentality needs to go.
City shaping projects like the river bank redevelopment, what a let down, starting with Adelaide Oval. Look at other capitals and their water front redevelopments, you'll know what I mean I hope.
We want Elder Park redeveloped, but many seem to be of the opinion that it should basically be a big suburban park.
If Elder Park was in one of the east coast major cities, it would be lined with food & drink establishments. Adelaide Oval would be a complete stadium, not three cobbled together stands and a small grassy hill.

Do we want Adelaide to be a major city, or just the regional city it basically is now?