News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2731 Post by AG » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:59 pm

Yesterday the State Government put out a requirement for 20-25k m2 of office space in the CBD, which is a big space requirement which would support one of the existing or new 25 floor/100m minimum high office building proposals currently floating around.

https://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/tender/view?id=248615

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2732 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:04 pm

Here comes festival tower 2…

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2733 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:11 pm

Is it SA Health? Would much prefer one of the proposals closer to the RAH get up if so.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2734 Post by AG » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:11 pm
Is it SA Health? Would much prefer one of the proposals closer to the RAH get up if so.
That would have been my first guess too. If so, I imagine that would put Charter Hall's "secret" development opposite the RAH or the Trinity City development in the front seat.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2735 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:28 pm

AG wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
That would have been my first guess too. If so, I imagine that would put Charter Hall's "secret" development opposite the RAH or the Trinity City development in the front seat.
Yep - would be great if the Trinity City development in particular got them.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2736 Post by rev » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:38 pm

AG wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote:
This 'secret' development wouldn't have had a nice curved glass tower the likes of which Adelaide hasn't seen, maybe drawn up about 5-8 years ago?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2737 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:04 pm

AG wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote:
The 'secret' development being the UniSA biomed tower?

I have a slight preference for seeing the Trinity City development get up, but I imagine the agencies concerned favouring the UniSA site.

Either way, once SA Pathology is relocated, I'd love to see its building on Frome Road demolished and primarily returned to green space to recompense for land taken by the high school and nWCH.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2739 Post by Will » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am

You would think Guava Lime would buy the Flinders Street property.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#2740 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:54 pm

rev wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:02 am
rev wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:04 pm
Optus Stadium shits on Adelaide Oval.

You have to take your head out of the Torrens to see things for how they are.
I've been to Optus Stadium. Not bad, but it won't stand the test of time. Adelaide Oval has a sense of class, time, connection and character that Optus does not. For these reasons, AO edges it.
I don't believe Adelaide Oval is shit. I don't like it, as I've said before, I think the stands size/heights should have been uniform, no gaps, and a northern stand built, but it's obviously leaps and bounds light years ahead of what was there previously.
The nolstagia or whatever that South Australian's feel with Adelaide Oval, the hill, the old scoreboard and some fig trees, is small town mentality.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if South Australian's collectively, want Adelaide to be a big city, then this mentality needs to go.
City shaping projects like the river bank redevelopment, what a let down, starting with Adelaide Oval. Look at other capitals and their water front redevelopments, you'll know what I mean I hope.
We want Elder Park redeveloped, but many seem to be of the opinion that it should basically be a big suburban park.
If Elder Park was in one of the east coast major cities, it would be lined with food & drink establishments. Adelaide Oval would be a complete stadium, not three cobbled together stands and a small grassy hill.

Do we want Adelaide to be a major city, or just the regional city it basically is now?
I don’t believe South Australians love Adelaide Oval because of nostalgia and a small town mentality. I believe they love it for the same reasons as me and many other people not from here. This English journalist said it really well:

“ADELAIDE A GLORIOUS SETTING - From above it is hard to miss a ground that is three parts modern mega-stadium to one part grass bank and sits nestled in the parkland north of Adelaide’s city centre. Renovating the home stadium of Don Bradman, the Chappell brothers, Jason Gillespie et al risked compromising its bucolic charm. But the architects managed to pull off the ideal blend of increased capacity (now up to 53,000), spectator comfort and a sense of history, as well as the Bradman Collection in the museum – where would-be Dons can similarly hone techniques with a stump and golf ball. A link with the past has been retained by the hill at the northern end and the famous old scoreboard, built in 1911, will once again tick over this week.”

“But if they are looking for inspiration, they could do worse than step out on to the Adelaide Oval and take in their surroundings.”

Here’s the full article. It should fill South Australians with pride Image
https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... -australia

Also, the alternative would probably be an Optus-style stadium that loses all the unique charm and character mentioned above, and ends up looking like all of the other stadiums mentioned in this recent tweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2741 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:26 am

First thing we shouldn't have this discussion on Adelaide Oval here. We need keep it short and simple otherwise the mods should move evrything to the AO thread.

Andy, Adelaide Oval lost its charm a long time ago. Charm doesn't bring bums on seats. Comfortable seats with clear views (and I mean every single seat) under cover with no one and I mean no one getting wet or blown away by gusts of wind. That's what a modern stadium should be. The decorations and architectural niceties can be thought out later and if they seem to look all the same (to some of you), it is because they work. The only thing that AO has currently that gives it any charm are the Moreton Bay Figs and a small remnant of grass. The old scoreboard should be in a museum. The rest are badly thought out stands. The hotel component is novel and has turned out fine but it's still lipstick on a pig. :2cents:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

[Shuz]

#2742 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 am

I'm glad we don't have a stadium that doesn't have the "nicecities" of a covered roof or air-conditioning or TVs in front of your seat or whatever bullshit.

There's something about the nit and grit of going to a footy game in the pelting rain, in your raincoats, on the hill having a few beers and banters with your mates like it's a local footy game, but it's AFL, that no other AFL stadium can offer. To some that seems depressing, but to me, and I'm sure, several others, that's what footy is well and truly about. You go to the game, you barrack for your team, sunshine, rain or hail or whatever, and you do it for the love of the sport. Not the stadium. Adelaide Oval has got its atmosphere setting perfectly right and has an offering that is second to none that no other stadium in Australia can match. It's brilliant. Haters can hate. I wouldn't trade what we've got for anything in the world.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#2743 Post by dbl96 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:50 pm

Will wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am
You would think Guava Lime would buy the Flinders Street property.
Agreed. If so, it will be interesting to see what is proposed. It is a big site and could fit a building of the scale or larger than the Vibe hotel. That said, it is right up against lower development on all sides.

It would be good to see this site developed - it is really prominent and is not becoming of the CBD.

Llessur2002

#2744 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:52 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 am
There's something about the nit and grit of going to a footy game in the pelting rain, in your raincoats, on the hill having a few beers and banters with your mates like it's a local footy game, but it's AFL, that no other AFL stadium can offer. To some that seems depressing, but to me, and I'm sure, several others, that's what footy is well and truly about. You go to the game, you barrack for your team, sunshine, rain or hail or whatever, and you do it for the love of the sport. Not the stadium. Adelaide Oval has got its atmosphere setting perfectly right and has an offering that is second to none that no other stadium in Australia can match. It's brilliant. Haters can hate. I wouldn't trade what we've got for anything in the world.
Agree. Looking forward to the up coming season on the hill in the rain :)

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2745 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:02 pm

Says here there’s been an application submitted to convert offices to apartments, anyone know where? https://citymag.indaily.com.au/happenin ... ord-mayor/