News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2821 Post by SRW » Wed May 17, 2023 9:40 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:32 pm
There was an application lodged to finally demolish the derelict housing building on Morphett Street. No application for a replacement as yet.
426-434 MORPHETT ST ADELAIDE SA 5000
UNDER ASSESSMENT
Description: Partial demolition of the building including disconnection of Gas, Water & Sewer services. Existing transformer room to remain.
Application ID: 23013993

Public Notification
Not Required

Application ID: 23013993
Lodged: 15/05/2023
Property address: 426-434 MORPHETT ST ADELAIDE SA 5000
Council area: Adelaide
Land details:
Title
CT 5650/216
CT 5651/539
Plan parcel: F182760 AL298
F182761 AL299
Applicant details: The Salvation Army (SA) Property Trust
I've never understood why this was abandoned in the first place. I hope they're demolishing with a plan to replace with new apartments, rather than simply clear out the squatters.
Keep Adelaide Weird

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2822 Post by timtam20292 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:46 pm

Will be great to see that horrible building go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2823 Post by timtam20292 » Wed May 24, 2023 2:31 pm

RAA sign installation has started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2824 Post by [Shuz] » Thu May 25, 2023 1:21 pm

Big changes planned for growing Adelaide skyline, but finding tradies a major concern
By Jessica Warriner
Posted 7h ago7 hours ago
An aerial shot of Adelaide's CBD buildings, with parklands in the left corner.
New developments are popping up across Adelaide's CBD, making major changes to the skyline. (ABC News: Steve Opie)
Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article

COPY
Cranes dot Adelaide's skyline, as new high-rises pop up across the city, but experts are warning many more people will be needed to make the plans a reality.

Key points:
The construction industry says thousands more workers are needed by 2026 to meet demand
Large numbers are needed on CBD projects, with many new developments in the works
Plans are expected to be filed in the next few months for what could be Adelaide's tallest building
From apartments, to hotels and office spaces, a wave of buildings are either underway or proposed.

This includes multiple projects with sights set on being some of the tallest in the city.

Figures released by Master Builders this month, estimated more than 31,000 more workers would be needed to meet demand in the construction industry across South Australia by late 2026, with over 14,000 of those tradies.

A man standing in front of a wall with the Master Builders logo on it.
Master Builders SA chief executive Will Frogley says having enough people to meet demand is the biggest challenge the construction industry faces.(Supplied: Master Builders SA)
Master Builders SA chief executive Will Frogley said the industry had to work to attract and retain as many people as possible.

"Having enough people to meet our infrastructure demands is probably the biggest challenge we face as an industry," he said.

"All those kinds of jobs we know we need more of — construction managers, architectural building surveying technicians, trades, whatever they are — will be needed on those CBD jobs in large numbers."

What's on the way?
From 1988 to 2019, Adelaide's tallest building was 91 King William Street — starting out as the State Bank, then BankSA, Santos, Westpac and now the RAA Tower.

A graphic comparing the RAA tower, Adelaide's tallest building until 2019, Frome Central and the SA1 Tower.
Frome Central is currently the tallest building in Adelaide, and the SA1 Tower is the tallest with planning approval as of May 2023.(ABC News)
The 2019 newcomer, Frome Central Tower One, might have only pipped it by a few metres, but it has heralded a wave of new developments.

That includes some looking to reach new heights.

A graphic comparing Adelaide's tallest building, Frome Central, with four of Australia's tallest buildings.
Adelaide's tallest building, Frome Central Tower 1, next to some of Australia's largest buildings, including Q1 Gold Coast and Melbourne's Australia 108.(ABC News)
The SA1 Tower was given planning approval in September 2022, with the 55-level building proposed to rise 180 metres on the corner of Pulteney and Flinders Streets.

Meanwhile, plans are expected to be filed in the next few months for the 183-metre mixed-use Keystone tower, which would sit behind the heritage-listed Freemasons Hall on North Terrace.

PlanSA development map
PlanSA's metropolitan development map, as of May 2023. Blue buildings are completed, orange have commenced, green are approved.(PlanSA)
Who is going to build the new projects?
Experts are warning the pressure is on to get enough people to make the multitude of projects happen, amid high demand across the state.

Mr Frogley said as well as the CBD, workers would be needed for projects like the North-South Corridor, and in defence and housing in the outer suburbs.

"There's a record number of people employed in construction in South Australia at the moment, about 82,000 people," Mr Frogley said.

A graphic of the SA1 Tower, one of Adelaide's proposed tallest buildings. It shows a building rising from a streetscape.
The planned SA1 Tower for Adelaide's CBD is the tallest with planning approval as of May 2023.(Supplied: JPE Design Studio)
"But all we hear every day is how hard it is to get people, that demand isn't going to dissipate.

"We've got migration ramping up, population growth, who's going to build all the homes that these people are going to live in and the infrastructure they'll need?"

University of Adelaide property lecturer Peter Koulizos said delays were likely, "through no fault of anyone in particular".

"It's just the way the world is now, you try and buy a new car, you can't just get a new car off the car yard, you have to put in an order, it's months away," Mr Koulizos said.

"The whole world is looking for trades, because the whole world is looking to rebuild."

A blonde woman in a green blazer smiling with her arms folded, with city buildings in the window behind her.
Director of the Australian Centre for Housing Research and University of Adelaide professor, Emma Baker, says the labour force issue is a slow problem to turn around.(ABC News: Carl Saville)
Director of the Australian Centre for Housing Research and University of Adelaide Professor Emma Baker described the situation as a "massive catch-up", particularly when it came to housing — an issue echoed around the country.

"We've just dropped the ball for quite a few years, I think, in terms of training up the construction industry," she said.

"It's a really slow problem to turn around, it's not like you can just say 'tomorrow there'll be 5,000 new construction workers'."

Expected completion dates for some of Adelaide's current works:
One Festival Tower: Late 2023
60 King William Street: Mid 2023
Market Square: Early 2026
The State Government and Master Builders SA launched the Born to Build program last year, visiting places like schools and sporting clubs to encourage people into the industry.

More than $200 million has also been committed to build and operate five technical colleges across the state, expected to be operational by 2026.

Will the developments get off the ground?
Mr Frogley said aside from finding workers, the cost of construction was also a challenge, and raised concerns about over-regulation in the industry.

"Everyone's talking about inflation now, but construction really was the canary in the coal mine," he said.

"You've got to make sure the cost of construction doesn't blow out so much that the jobs don't go ahead."

Mr Koulizos said he expected the projects would proceed despite hurdles because of high demand.

"These developers have lots of dollars, but also lots of common sense," he said.

"They would have done their market research to help them determine for example, there's enough demand for premium office space."

A frame filled with city buildings in Adelaide, looking down on Rundle Mall.
Adelaide's CBD is growing, with a number of developments in the pipeline.(ABC News: Jessica Warriner)
But Professor Baker said she did not see all the proposed buildings going ahead.

"A lot of them will... but it won't be 100 per cent," she said.

"Things can change in the process of building halfway through that make it either different to what they intended to build, or they might not build it altogether."

A futuristic building surrounded by trees and landscaped gardens.
Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre (AACC) concept design by architecture firm Woods Bagot. (Supplied: Woods Bagot)
This week, the State Government revealed the cost of the proposed Tarrkarri Aboriginal cultural centre on North Terrace could be as much as $600 million, triple the amount originally budgeted.

"What the government is turning its mind to is, can we fit that within the budget, or who can we partner with to achieve that objective," Premier Peter Malinauskas told ABC Radio Adelaide.

'Adelaide is literally growing up'
The population of the Adelaide local government area — that includes the CBD and North Adelaide — was more than 25,000 in the 2021 Census.

That's expected to swell to more than 46,000 by 2041.

The city's demographic makeup is also very different to elsewhere in South Australia, something experts said could be seen reflected in the amount of new high-rise student housing.

"60 per cent of the population living in the city are renting," Professor Baker said.

"We've also got double, sometimes triple, the number of young people."

An older building next to a One Festival Tower, a new building under construction. Workers can be seen inside the building.
Construction workers on site at One Festival Tower in May 2023, expected to be completed later in the year.(ABC News: Jessica Warriner)
Even with delays, Mr Koulizos said he expected demand to stay high for commercial and residential ventures.

"When I was a young lad, the joke was that you could shoot a gun down Rundle Mall and you wouldn't hit anyone because nobody was there after 5pm," Mr Koulizos said.

"But now, we have so many people living there.

"Adelaide is literally growing up."
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2825 Post by Prodical » Thu May 25, 2023 4:08 pm

A bit of a surprise today - sorry no photo (was driving).

The building in the NW corner of Wakefield and Hutt street has been demolished. Part of the old Calvary hospital (someone mentioned this demolition a short while ago) but surprising how quickly the building has gone - hopefully something of substance and value is built there.

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2826 Post by Prodical » Fri May 26, 2023 12:01 pm

Some photos from this morning.

Looks like the whole block is being demolished, from Hutt Street up to (and including) the old Calvary Hospital ER.
Attachments
Wake 3.jpg
Wake 2.jpg
Wake 1.jpg

Ursus Maritimus
High Rise Poster!

#2827 Post by Ursus Maritimus » Sun May 28, 2023 11:31 am

I must say, these renders of the Myer Centre renovation look awful. I wouldn't mind if something looking like this were built from scratch, but to lose all the charm of the current Myer Centre to this box is a tremendous shame.
Screenshot_20230528-112945_Samsung Internet.jpg

ChillyPhilly

#2828 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 28, 2023 11:55 am

Ursus Maritimus wrote:I must say, these renders of the Myer Centre renovation look awful. I wouldn't mind if something looking like this were built from scratch, but to lose all the charm of the current Myer Centre to this box is a tremendous shame.
The current Myer Centre has charm?

I personally believe the renovations, especially at the entranceways, will add some much needed natural light to the interior.

However, the same issues will remain with slow elevators and horrible escalator placing.

If the Archie Bros project in Rundle Place is a success, then perhaps the Myer Centre will look to activate its upper levels.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

abc
Legendary Member!

#2829 Post by abc » Sun May 28, 2023 12:32 pm

Ursus Maritimus wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:31 am
I must say, these renders of the Myer Centre renovation look awful. I wouldn't mind if something looking like this were built from scratch, but to lose all the charm of the current Myer Centre to this box is a tremendous shame.

agreed

as said before the one appealing thing about this building was the legoland inspired entrances which are being destroyed by this reno

Nort

#2830 Post by Nort » Sun May 28, 2023 1:05 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:55 am
Ursus Maritimus wrote:I must say, these renders of the Myer Centre renovation look awful. I wouldn't mind if something looking like this were built from scratch, but to lose all the charm of the current Myer Centre to this box is a tremendous shame.

The current Myer Centre has charm?

I personally believe the renovations, especially at the entranceways, will add some much needed natural light to the interior.

However, the same issues will remain with slow elevators and horrible escalator placing.

If the Archie Bros project in Rundle Place is a success, then perhaps the Myer Centre will look to activate its upper levels.
Don't see how it adds natural light. In the renders the current entrance windows and what have you are still there just now behind an extra layer of facade.
images - 2023-05-28T130419.149.jpeg

Patrick_27

#2831 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm

The Myer Centre in its original form, had it remained untouched and well maintained would have been charming. The moment they started meddling with the street level facade whilst letting the upper level facade deteriorate was the first sign that the centre needed a broader makeover.

I don’t love this new facade treatment but I suspect it will make it easier to convert and sell further floors as premium office space.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2832 Post by SRW » Sun May 28, 2023 6:46 pm

I know they're merely renders but the absence of Myer branding is rather conspicuous. The remodel could be step one in a larger plan to repurpose the building.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#2833 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:54 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm
The Myer Centre in its original form, had it remained untouched and well maintained would have been charming. The moment they started meddling with the street level facade whilst letting the upper level facade deteriorate was the first sign that the centre needed a broader makeover.
Completely agree. Sadly I moved to Adelaide after the facade was changed but I love seeing pictures of the original building - those awnings are amazing!

Llessur2002

#2834 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:14 am

I'm not sure how long this has been on the market but it's the first time I've seen a real estate board outside of it. The listing shows some great interior shots, although the layout is nothing like I expected - I assumed it was a two storey building throughout.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -139935343

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2835 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:44 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:14 am
I'm not sure how long this has been on the market but it's the first time I've seen a real estate board outside of it. The listing shows some great interior shots, although the layout is nothing like I expected - I assumed it was a two storey building throughout.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -139935343

Well over a year now, presumedly they’re asking too much.