News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ursus Maritimus
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2836 Post by Ursus Maritimus » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:33 pm

Work continues on installing the RAA signage. Vertigo: an apt name for a platform at that height.
Screenshot_20230605-181604_Video Player.jpg

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2837 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:03 pm

There are some serious renovations going on at 141 Gilbert Street. This place also backs on to the rear lane my place backs onto. Skip bin out the back with a funnel for dropping junk into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2838 Post by Prodical » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 am

Yay

the government is moving the police greys to the airport, not taking our parklands.

Good :)

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2839 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:59 am

The state government has scrapped plans to house the police horses on the south parklands, with a new site at Adelaide Airport chosen.

Police will also be given a vacant block of land behind the Supreme Court to use as a staging area after transporting the horses into the city from West Beach under the new plan.

The development follows months of outcry by interest groups – and Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith – at the decision to shift the Mounted Operations Unit to the south parklands.

In March The Advertiser revealed the 8ha parcel of land – on the corner of Greenhill Rd and Sir Lewis Cohen Ave – had been selected as the preferred site by police after an exhaustive evaluation process to make way for the new Women’s and Children’s Hospital.

Since then opponents of the plan have waged an unrelenting campaign to stop it – culminating in a protest last Sunday that saw hundreds of protesters converge on the site.

The Advertiser can reveal over the past month Treasurer Stephen Mullighan has examined the mounted operations of several other policing jurisdictions – including visits to their facilities – as the search for alternative sites continued.

Mr Malinauskas said the government had “worked hard’’ to identify suitable alternative options to the south parklands site.

“We’ve worked hard to find a solution that considers the strategic needs of SAPOL and the interests of the broader public,’’ he said.

“I thank the Police Commissioner and SAPOL officers for their efforts in reaching this outcome.

“We look forward to working through the detailed design and site work to make this new home at the Adelaide Airport a reality.

“My government has always sought to preserve Adelaide parklands, and wherever possible make them more accessible.

“That’s exactly what we’re delivering with the new Women’s and Children’s Hospital, which will unlock unused and dilapidated areas near the Adelaide Gaol.’’

Mr Malinauskas said the government had reached agreed commercial terms with Adelaide Airport Limited to finalise both an interim and permanent home for the Mounted Operations Unit.

Negotiations with AAL have identified two suitable sites on airport land and both sites will now be subject to detailed site investigation, design work and due diligence and finalisation of terms.

He said portion of government-owned land at Gepps Cross has also been identified, should an alternative option be required, which will be progressed concurrently to the AAL options.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens welcomed the fact a decision had finally been made and planning for the move could proceed.

“We appreciate there are factors in this that extend beyond the operational requirements we have,’’ he said.

“We will now move forward with the enormous amount of work needed to enable us to leave the Thebarton barracks.’’

He said while the parklands site had been SAPOL’s preferred option, he would ensure the new arrangements maintained the service provided by the mounted division.
Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith, a ferocious opponent of the parklands option, welcomed the development.

“I congratulate the South Australian Government for maintaining its commitment to protect the irreplaceable and unique Adelaide parklands,’’ she said.

“The Premier has proven he will listen to the community and show strong leadership make the right decision.

“I would like to thank the member for Adelaide Lucy Hood for her unwavering advocacy and support for the parklands during this process.’’
Ms Hood said the move was “a fantastic outcome for our community.’’

“Over the past couple of months I have held forums and street corner meetings, listened to stakeholders and met regularly with relevant ministers to ensure our community’s voice was heard,’’ she said.

“I congratulate the Premier and the Commissioner for listening and for working so diligently to secure a win-win.’’

The 20,000sq/m Thebarton police barracks site was chosen for the location of the new $3.2bn Women’s and Children’s Hospital following a review of six sites by former government bureaucrat Jim Hallion.

The decision to provide the staging post was a key element to the new plan and provided SAPOL the flexibility needed to move the Mounted Operations Unit further than 5km from the CBD.

The government previously intended to build the new WCH on the railyards adjacent the Royal Adelaide Hospital but that location was deemed to be too small and would have dislocated many vital health services.

It is anticipated site works will begin by the end of the year with the opening pencilled in for 2030-31.

Legislation to fast-track the demolition of the Thebarton police barracks, which was constructed on vacant parklands in 1917, passed the lower house last November after 10 hours of debate.

It was approved in the upper house after the government secured the support of One Nation and SA Best to block numerous amendments.

The legislation allows planning approvals to be expedited that will result in numerous heritage listed buildings demolished – a move that has sparked outrage from both heritage groups and those opposed to building on the parklands.

It was anticipated each of the 14 business units housed at the Thebarton police barracks – including the mounted operations, dog squad, police band, security services branch, and emergency management command – will move out by the end of the year.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2840 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:55 pm

The cynic in me feels there was good bit of strategy at play here. They foreshadowed a parkland location that they knew would attract concerted opposition from city/Unley residents versus merely concerned opposition about nWCH. Now they get to give the mob a parklands win, make the Member for Adelaide look like a constituent champion, but still walk away with their main prize with the heat fizzled out.

Don't get me wrong, I think the airport is a good decision. But also LOL at a horse enclosure right next to Vic Square.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#2841 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 am

I feel for the poor horses in all this more than anything!

Moving away from the Parklands is the right decision. Stabling the horses in the Parklands would prevent any opportunity for much-needed upgrading, landscaping etc.

I do cringe at the vacant block of land in the heart of the CBD, though - was once the site of an 188-metre tower proposal from memory.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#2842 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:10 pm

New RAA signage:

Not every side is complete as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2843 Post by rev » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:32 pm

Complements the building a lot better then the Westpac logo.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2844 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:36 pm

I actually think it ages it.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#2845 Post by A-Town » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:02 pm

Looks good, better than the Westpac logo in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing it lit up at night and changing colours.

Patrick_27

#2846 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:31 pm

Takarri hasn’t received anything further funding in the budget, with no start date confirmed. Seems all but dead…

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2847 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:29 am

Sad. This government make me wish for days pre 2018.

ChillyPhilly

#2848 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:31 pm
Takarri hasn’t received anything further funding in the budget, with no start date confirmed. Seems all but dead…
My hope is that this is treated rather specially, and that we haven't seen the last of it for this reason.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#2849 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:01 pm

No extra funding for Tarrkarri Aboriginal cultural centre in state budget

Questions remain over the future of an Aboriginal cultural centre on North Terrace after this week’s state budget allocated no extra funding to the project.

There are now calls for the federal government or other parties to step in and ensure the gallery is not dumped altogether.

Construction on the Tarrkarri Centre at Lot Fourteen began in December 2021 under the former Liberal government but was frozen last year.

Labor was advised that to deliver the centre within its original $200m budget, the project would have required a significant reduction in scope and result in a centre only of a local, state-level standard – not the “centre of international significance” initially envisaged.

Following a subsequent review, Premier Peter Malinauskas said the true cost could be up to $600m and vowed he would hunt for funding “if the project goes ahead at all”.

Delivering the budget on Thursday, Treasurer Stephen Mullighan said there was no extra funding for Tarrkarri but the initial $200m provision had been retained.

“The government hasn’t made a decision yet what we’re doing about that,” he said.

“We’ve received the report from the expert panel that the Premier had set up, which, as the Premier has made clear, publicly recommends that if this project proceeds it needs to be a far bigger and far more expensive facility than what had been planned for and funded by the previous government.

“So as we work through that decision, we’ll work out whether we need to increase that amount of funding to deliver the project, or whether we’re not proceeding with the project.”

The federal government had contributed $85m towards the project under a “city deal”, with the state covering the remainder.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith said any move to cancel the project would be “an enormous disappointment for First Nations people who have contributed to the planning and design of this facility”.

“I would be surprised that a Labor government in Canberra and a Labor government in South Australia would not put funding into this project in the year of the referendum,” she said.

“I think that there are various ways to fund a project and I would encourage those potential sources to respond to the funding issues.”

Opposition arts and festivals spokesman John Gardner said such delays and cost blowouts were “typical of this Labor government”.

“The project was underway when they were elected,” he said.

“They’re the ones who halted, deferred, reviewed and now don’t know what to do.

“Given that the last time Labor was in power they tried to build 1000 apartments on the site, it’s small wonder that people are suspicious as to whether they’ll have another go this time round.”
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertai ... 397540fbe5

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2850 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:23 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:01 pm
No extra funding for Tarrkarri Aboriginal cultural centre in state budget

Questions remain over the future of an Aboriginal cultural centre on North Terrace after this week’s state budget allocated no extra funding to the project.

There are now calls for the federal government or other parties to step in and ensure the gallery is not dumped altogether.

Construction on the Tarrkarri Centre at Lot Fourteen began in December 2021 under the former Liberal government but was frozen last year.

Labor was advised that to deliver the centre within its original $200m budget, the project would have required a significant reduction in scope and result in a centre only of a local, state-level standard – not the “centre of international significance” initially envisaged.

Following a subsequent review, Premier Peter Malinauskas said the true cost could be up to $600m and vowed he would hunt for funding “if the project goes ahead at all”.

Delivering the budget on Thursday, Treasurer Stephen Mullighan said there was no extra funding for Tarrkarri but the initial $200m provision had been retained.

“The government hasn’t made a decision yet what we’re doing about that,” he said.

“We’ve received the report from the expert panel that the Premier had set up, which, as the Premier has made clear, publicly recommends that if this project proceeds it needs to be a far bigger and far more expensive facility than what had been planned for and funded by the previous government.

“So as we work through that decision, we’ll work out whether we need to increase that amount of funding to deliver the project, or whether we’re not proceeding with the project.”

The federal government had contributed $85m towards the project under a “city deal”, with the state covering the remainder.

Adelaide Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith said any move to cancel the project would be “an enormous disappointment for First Nations people who have contributed to the planning and design of this facility”.

“I would be surprised that a Labor government in Canberra and a Labor government in South Australia would not put funding into this project in the year of the referendum,” she said.

“I think that there are various ways to fund a project and I would encourage those potential sources to respond to the funding issues.”

Opposition arts and festivals spokesman John Gardner said such delays and cost blowouts were “typical of this Labor government”.

“The project was underway when they were elected,” he said.

“They’re the ones who halted, deferred, reviewed and now don’t know what to do.

“Given that the last time Labor was in power they tried to build 1000 apartments on the site, it’s small wonder that people are suspicious as to whether they’ll have another go this time round.”
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertai ... 397540fbe5
Shouldn't this be in the Lot 14 thread here: viewtopic.php?t=4755&start=1020