[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1216 Post by AG » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 am

rhino wrote:
claybro wrote:Internationally, and within Australia the standard speed limit within tunnels is 80km/h. This even goes for Autobahans in Europe. This section of South Road being in a trench, is basically a tunnel without a roof, so 80km/h would be to be expected.
Speed limit through the Heysen Tunnels, which have a broad curve in them that you can't see around, is 90kph.

That said, I have no problem with an 80kph limit between Darlington and the Superway. It's what, 17km or something? at 80kph that will take 11.5 minutes. I'm fine with that.
This would be a fair bit like the Eastern Distributor in Sydney or the Inner City Bypass in Brisbane, which are both in trenches for sections without emergency lanes. Both are 80km/h, although parts of the ICB where there are tight corners are down to 60km/h.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#1217 Post by phenom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:41 am

Reading the documents, I believe they are 'designing' for 80km/hr but the limit will be set at 70km/hr.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1218 Post by fifty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks guys. That's all it was ever going to be then. Fair enough.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1219 Post by claybro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:34 am

phenom wrote:Reading the documents, I believe they are 'designing' for 80km/hr but the limit will be set at 70km/hr.
Dissappointing if that is the case, but not surprising for Adelaide, given that trains and trams run at below design speed (despite substantial upgrades to tracks and rolling stock) and constant chipping away over the years at the OBahn speeds. Why the fear in Adelaide with getting things moving?

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1220 Post by fifty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

claybro wrote:
phenom wrote:Reading the documents, I believe they are 'designing' for 80km/hr but the limit will be set at 70km/hr.
Dissappointing if that is the case, but not surprising for Adelaide, given that trains and trams run at below design speed (despite substantial upgrades to tracks and rolling stock) and constant chipping away over the years at the OBahn speeds. Why the fear in Adelaide with getting things moving?
No, pretty sure I read designing at 90, limiting at 80.

The Scooter Guy

#1221 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:17 pm

I wonder if the Darlington Upgrade Project could result in a number of houses/buildings demolished...
Take a look at the six year old Yum Sing Express on the site of the Bedford Medical Clinic for example:
So I think there is going to be backlash from some long term residents being forced to move house.

I certainly hope this project comes with a lifetime land-back guarantee!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1222 Post by SCF » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:I wonder if the Darlington Upgrade Project could result in a number of houses/buildings demolished...
If you look at the plan you will see there is quite extensive property acquisition involved, in particular on the eastern side. That whole stretch where Yum Sing Express was, between Sturt and Ayliffes road, is to be acquired.

I'm not sure if Yum Sing closing now has anything to do with it though - it's quite possible the business just recently failed.

You can see the areas they are looking to acquire in this document : http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... ade_A1.pdf
So I think there is going to be backlash from some long term residents being forced to move house.
There always is, but at the end of the day there is not a lot they can do to stop it. The way I understand it is that the government have the right to acquire your property as they see fit. The only thing you can really fight is the amount of compensation.

Any project along South Road is going to require property acquisition.
I certainly hope this project comes with a lifetime land-back guarantee!
What do you mean by this? Once the government acquire your property it's gone. You will never get it back even if they stop the project (unless they subsequently offer it up for sale and you buy it back).

Waewick

#1223 Post by Waewick » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:02 am

I' ve had to deal with customers who had land aquired.

once it is gone it is most certainly gone.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/grab ... 6097153012

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinod ... operty%20)

this guy tried to fight it.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1224 Post by Westside » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:24 pm

I think you'll find most of those properties have been acquired already. They'd be tenanted out to Housing SA clients until the wreckers are ready to move in.

Under the old MATS plan millions were spent acquiring properties (and some demolished, ie John Hindmarsh Frontage, Brompton) and not a single sod was turned. The next gov't just sold it all back.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1225 Post by rev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Westside wrote:I think you'll find most of those properties have been acquired already. They'd be tenanted out to Housing SA clients until the wreckers are ready to move in.

Under the old MATS plan millions were spent acquiring properties (and some demolished, ie John Hindmarsh Frontage, Brompton) and not a single sod was turned. The next gov't just sold it all back.
John Hindmarsh Frontage on Torrens Rd? What was the MATS plan there exactly?

Nathan

#1226 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:28 pm

rev wrote:
Westside wrote:I think you'll find most of those properties have been acquired already. They'd be tenanted out to Housing SA clients until the wreckers are ready to move in.

The Salisbury Freeway would have almost gone straight through it on the recommended design of the Hindmarsh Interchange (bottom right option).

rev

#1227 Post by rev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Ah yeh, I forget how big it was planned to be and how much it would encompass.

[Shuz]

#1228 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Nathan wrote:
rev wrote:

The Salisbury Freeway would have almost gone straight through it on the recommended design of the Hindmarsh Interchange (bottom right option).

Never seen the three other options before - very interesting! Thank you!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#1229 Post by rev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:09 pm

claybro wrote:
LOL this is Adelaide mate, where better drive education and training isn't even considered as an option to lower crashes and fatalities, but reducing speed limits is the go to method.

Ideally when the North-South "freeway" is completed the speed limit would be 100kmh.
If they aren't designing it for this, then shame on them and what a wasted opportunity.
I'd understand if they set it lower for each section before the entire thing is complete..but come on, designed for 80 set at 70? WTF? Why's the Superway/PREXY, part of Port Wakefield all at 90kmh, the Northern Expressway at 110kmh..?

Don't tell me it's because it's through a residential area? Backwards stupidity comes to mind. LOL the Western Ring Road(freeway) in Melbourne which runs through many residential suburbs is 90kmh. If it is due to being through a residential area, why do they even bother upping the speed limit at all? :wallbash:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1230 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:40 pm

The NS Motorway will be 80km/h (designed for 90km/h) between Regency Road and Darlington. This is the same speed of the Monash between the city and Chadstone, not exactly a stone's throw away from inner Melbourne. The Western Ring Road goes mainly through industrial estates and has plenty of space on either side. Our Motorway will not.